Welcome to Gaia! ::

We're excited to announce beta testing for Avatar Chat! Avatar Chat (or AviChat) is a new virtual space where you can hang out, show off your latest avatar creations, and chat with fellow Gaians.

Keep in mind that Avatar Chat is currently in beta testing, which means that it's still a work in a progress. We currently have two major goals for the beta phase: 1) test performance with a larger number of users, and 2) collect feedback from you, including what you'd most like to see from the feature.

Current Status: At the moment, there are two different maps you can explore. No matter which one you hang out on, you'll be able to collect platinum and chat with your fellow Gaians. There is also a general chat room that is not attached to either map.

Incoming Updates: We're mainly focused on making overall improvements to the UI, map(s), and chat elements. We'll also be adding usernames above avatars in the virtual space.

Long-term Goals: There are some additional functions that we're planning to implement, including private rooms, customizable maps, interactive events, and mobile support.

Known Bugs:
    • All users can see the "mute" option from the message options window. (It doesn't work)
    • Muted and Ignored users messages are currently being displayed as [CENSORED]. They should be entirely hidden.
    • Collecting Platinum has been temporarily disabled while we work out some bugs.
    • Accessing Avatar Chat with Firefox results in an error

If you encounter any issues, please share them in this thread (and include as many details as you can, including operating system and browser).

Getting started:
    • Visit https://www.gaiaonline.com/avichat/ to launch Avatar Chat
    • Choose your Room from the left-hand panel
    • Use the WASD or the arrow keys to walk around and space bar to jump
    • Use the enter key to change the focus to chat

FAQ

How often can I collect Platinum?
    Once every hour

Will my equipped flair appear next to my username?
    Not yet. Support for flairs is coming in a future update!

Does Avatar Chat support animated items?
    Animated Items are not currently supported in Avatar Chat. We are currently working on adding support for Prisma Items.

How do I report another user's message(s)?
    Hover over the offending message and click the three dots on the right-hand side. Select "flag" to report the message.

How do I stop seeing another user's message(s)?
    If you no longer wish to interact with another user, you can add them to your ignore list.

Jeering Phantom

25,700 Points
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Miasmal Lake Champion 500
  • Friend of the Goat 100
I LOVE THIS. The fact that it's set up like a platformer is hilarious! Really fulfills that need to jump, especially after so many people (myself included) were asking for it in the new 3D Rally.

A minor gripe I have is that the layering on my avi changes whenever I jump, as seen below. It's not a critical bug, but just a tiny bit annoying.

User Image

dakkotaA's Spouse

oooof that's interesting

Kid

ball get stuck sad

Married Wife

9,450 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Contributor 150
  • Forum Regular 100
The chat is really interesting not designed for mobile i can tell you that. The 2d ish style of side scrolling but still being able to see the chat is interesting for sure. If you have a desktop its a neat experience with a bit of latency between chats. But the avi of whose talking shows up to let you know who is chatting. The idea of private rooms seems a bit abusable but if its regulated right. It has potential to be a secure private avi to avi chat with friends!

Colonel_Moran's Love Of My Life

Biggest Kitten

Its a very interesting concept and its cute but Idk how often I will be using it.
User Image

7,850 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Market Browser 100
  • Gaian 50
hello smile

Pokekaiju Master

really cute!! smile

at first entry it is using my avatar that is not saved. but after moving it changed t the avatar I saved.
i wish we can move the "world" while staying in same position to see what others are doing.

other feedback:
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Estella_Lyra's Buttercup

Shapeshifter

I love this!

Dapper Noob

2,400 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
Tinf0il
ball get stuck sad

yeah, it gets stuck in the bottom right corner & you can't get it out.

Desirable Explorer

7,950 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
    this is interesting though it's easy to get motion sickness. i'm excited to see how this will develop though!

edit: also the chat window feels a bit too big (understandable but it needs to have some balance cause the amount of times i don't mean to open the chat window). also, could we get gaia emotes in the chat as well?

Distinct Dabbler

54,500 Points
  • Night Owl 100
  • Pieversity 200
  • Converting 1 item 100
Vro
I LOVE THIS. The fact that it's set up like a platformer is hilarious! Really fulfills that need to jump, especially after so many people (myself included) were asking for it in the new 3D Rally.

A minor gripe I have is that the layering on my avi changes whenever I jump, as seen below. It's not a critical bug, but just a tiny bit annoying.

User Image
Post-migration layering, aka low collision detection on items released starting Nov 2018, allows stacking of poses that pre-migration would have bumped each other off. As you have multiple poses stacked on the same layer when saved it flattens randomly and the standing/sitting front/back can all be different. Re-saving the avatar has a chance to get a different order flattened but need to find the url for the filmstrip of the avatar or enter a a 3d space to check what saved in the alternate poses and if not what you want then re-save again.

Shaggy Saint

I think this is really fun and cute! The jumping was an immediate hit for me. I also like that it's possible to close the chat completely when not looking at it (I felt the transparent mode was distracting to the eye - perhaps because the chat is to the side instead of being horizontal at the bottom?).

If I were to name any features I'd like to see it would be sitting on the ground and some kind of objects you can interact with (in Towns I used to love aggressively shaking trees and bushes). It'd be neat too if what people say in the chat could appear above their avatar.

This is cool, I'm excited to see it develop heart

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces