So I'm making a pirate costume for someone who will be working at a local Renaissance Faire next month. So far, everything has been coming together very well, but I've just run into a small snag. He can't have real weapons, obviously, so we went to the Halloween section of our local Walmart and found this knife set made for a ninja costume:

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

The knives are small enough to fit on the baldric I already made so they were perfect except for one thing. The red on the top makes it look not-so-pirate-y sweatdrop I've decided to try and color the red tip and the hand guard (which you can't see in the picture because of the belt holster) gold instead. The paint job is really sloppy, but I expected that from a costume prop. It just makes me want to paint it that much more!

So basically, I'm wondering what kind of paint would be best to use on a hard rubber material such as this. Think consistency of a rubber mallet. Thick, but still a bit flexible. Everything I've read out there says that spraypaint will not dry on rubber, it tends to stay tacky. I've tried this on a pair of elf ears and it's true from that perspective. My ears were eventually trashed because I'd ruined them with spraypaint. I was told that Testor's model car paint or a Painter's paint marker might work. Anyone know for sure what kind of paint to use? Any help would be much appreciated!!!

emotion_bigheart ~Aki