Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Art Shop Owners Coalition

Back to Guilds

Reply The Gaian Art Shop Owners Coalition
The Hangout....where sanity is overrated. Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 999 1000 1001 1002 1003 1004 ... 1219 1220 1221 1222 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Saisei Hoshi
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 5:55 am
Wow we hit 1000 pages, I'm kinda disappointed that AD didn't get it but what ever.

AD - Is that your sock monkey.

Umm I forgat what else I wanted to say so I'm going back to bed.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 1:38 pm
1) I miss you guys like crazy. ; _;

2) dammit, I missed page 1000. DDDDx *blames it on her horrible timing*

3) Happy Christmas Akahomas! : )

Nyome

T H I N N

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 1:53 pm
Alucard>> Rabbi Ashram is not sure what spawned him. We'll blame Shiro ... and communism!

AD>> Fax Monkey gets mega coolness points! (simply because ... he can)

Nyome>> Akahomas was not a happy Akahomas without your presence! Merry Christmas. whee

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 8:51 pm

Hurh, seems I keep popping out every now and then, these days D: Hurh!

- I'm now in a doujin/manga group...YAY! We'll be participating in next year's Comic Fiesta (sorta like an anime con, but it focuses more on cosplaying and selling doujins and original manga).

- Problem. I'm going to be sitting for a var, var important exam near. If I don't pass...guh...there goes my dreams of headin' off to an Art College ;3;

- Sad part. Christmas is coming. I still haven't done my shopping, and school's just around the corner.

- All this talk of guitars and what not is making me want to rob the music store so I can get a hand on a Fender Precision Bass (played one at Megan's place...and I loved it gonk )

In short, I'm a busy, busy girl D:

By the way, where can I get one of those fax monkeys, AD?  

Memai-kins

DarkishStar

Noob

6,775 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 9:06 pm
ARGH, this person pissed me off, sooooooooo much. This was in one of the threads asking others how people take HARSH criticism.

DarkishStar
Some Person
You know I got the same once.

I was so upset, I cried.(literally... it hurts when people just blantantly say that your art sucks... not trying to understand where you're coming from, or trying to give anything constructive...)

Some people DO give that extra constructive criticism, that helps... but sometimes it's SO bias... like this(this is from devArt... BUT... read it, and it becomes clearer that this sounds more like imposing ideas on me than anything else. As well as that, she tells me some very obvious things, that are extremely unhelpful, just imposing. Such as: " I mean, I have a horrid body, but that doesn't stop me from observing others. " This would be a good critique if it weren't just "you need to draw in such and such a way" the whole way through. I feel you don't need to see the picture for this... because it was bad, but my point is, this is the type of critique people SHOULDN'T be giving... because it's TELLING me what to do, rather than giving me advice):

"(Your box says Critique Welcome)

Hi, this is --. -- is typing and -- is yelling in her ear.

Even though you claim that this drawing is stylized, no human has arms that are as long as the legs. Trust me, her lower body is much too small (actually, her entire body is), no matter what kind of body you have. I mean, I have a horrid body, but that doesn't stop me from observing others. You need to look for variety.

Let's start with the top.

Her hair is not that bad, but you might want to work on the highlights- they're all over the place! Your eyes are actually pretty pretty, but they don't match each other. We're bothered by the nose, but we don't know what to say. The lips are nice.

The hands are a bit of a problem- your fingers lack definition. You might argue that this is your style, but the way you drew them do not match the face at all. Perhaps you're just trying to be original or something, but they still look very lazily done. Also, they're much too small.

We would go on, but there's so much to cover. The most we can say is that you should try to match the body with the head. You might want to keep the head, but there are critical errors you might want to go over: the elbows, breasts, shape of her thighs, and your feet, definately. Oh, and always keep an eye out for anatomical mistakes. You might think you've got it down, but you haven't.

Please don't complain about how you're drawing in your style, because if you keep to it you may never improve. That's all.

Have a nice day! Kisses. "

The "Have a nice day! Kisses." is just the most insulting thing you could put at the bottom of a critique. It's rude, considering the tone of the whole message is very negative. You see, she hardly gave any advice. She's talking to me as if she knew me, but infact, it is the contrary. She does not know me at all, not giving her the right to say such things. She has a point, the problem is that it's extremely bias, and the fact that she's pretty much telling me "scratch that, start over". And to add to that, she didn't even have a very good gallery herself. ALL anime, without perfect anatomy(all anime has some form of distorted anatomy, especially in the face). Anyways, sorry, just like I did, ignore the comment and insult it later. razz

"Just the fact that you said it WASN'T anime brought me to this thread. Though I wasn't expecting this. Oh well. The style's ok, but the lips are ugly. I kinda like the coloring though. "

-blasts the person who wrote this- TERRIBLE. :K
You know, it's not imposing ideas if someone tries to give good constructive criticism and you just can't take it. My friend wrote that, and it really hurts even more when people can't take good criticism when it's so hard to get. And her anatomy is NOT distorted, she draws some of the best anatomy and figures I have EVER come across, if you think she is imposing, then you honestly have no clear understanding of anatomy because everything she said about that piece of art was true. Her art isn't terrible, or worse than yours. I think her art is excellent and the bodies she draws more realistic than anime. And you for one, seem more biased against so called "anime art," than her to yours. She has a clear understanding of anatomy, so she can stylize, especially with the faces, they are still anatomically correct, although stylized. She critiqued your artwork not even on a basis of anime, she just didn't like it. Because she's an anime artist has nothing to do with the critique she gave you. She's not a person who will "attack" art all because it's not anime, in fact, she likes much artwork that can't be considered anime.

Grow some backbone, no one is going to like everything you draw. You took the critique waaaaaaaay too personally, like you think she knew you, when on the contrary, that's just how her personality is. She's a strange person, I know that, that's why she put kisses, it seems to me more like you're attacking her for the critique, which she gave, and was quite honest about it too.

It's good critique because there's some praise, here my friend even told you, "The hair is not bad." "The lips are nice." "The eyes are pretty pretty." It's a good critique, the definition for "critique" is to point out what's bad and flawed, but also to point out what is GOOD in the piece. If it's a HARSH critique, it would just say, "Your art sucks and you shouldn't keep drawing, you should give up." Nowhere in her comment did she ever say that or even imply that. She was aiming toward helping you improve.

And when she meant she had a horrid body, she herself has a horrid body (not all slender and flawlessly curved), she can't base her art on herself. So she based it on others, she's trying to advise you to do the same thing.

And how is it imposing to tell you that the hands lack definition when they clearly do? How is it imposing to tell you that the body is not anatomically correct no matter how stylized it is? Many artists learn first that in order to begin stylizing anatomy, they must have a clear grasp of anatomy first.

It doesn't matter if she knows you or not, she can say what she wants, if you can't take a good critique, when very few is given, then why bother to improve? I know this sounds harsh, but I've been given such critiques myself, and some by this very same person, and actually, it's helped me get better and I APPRECIATE it. I've improved from critiques, and I really wish MORE people would critique. I appreciate my friend a lot for what she does. "Style" really obstructed my abilities, and though it seems like she's telling you to "start over" maybe it might help a little because it did for me. "Style" can get you so set in a certain way of doing something, that you continue to do it, even if it's wrong. It still looks wrong, even if it's style. If people can tell it's your style, they won't say anything about it, because it should still look correct and aesthetically pleasing, even if it's stylized. I used to be terrible but I've improved IMMENSELY from her criticism and I still go to her for criticism because I still have lot to improve on. It's not always nice criticism, but it's honest, and it makes sense.

She gave ALOT of advice. And more than you deserved, it seems now, that the whole point of the critique was obviously wasted on you. You're the very type of people I was actually complaining about on my previous posts in this thread. Yeah, it's not a biased critique when it's actually BASED on real anatomy. It's not considered a harsh critique if the person gives reasons for what they say. And she clearly did give reasons, she didn't do anything wrong in speaking her mind. And it's her OPINION on the piece, she's not telling you what to do, it's just what YOU decide to do with the advice. How can she tell you what to do? You don't have to listen or even consider what she said for that matter, you could just ignore it if it bothers you that much to get a good critique from someone.

And it's just not nice, to talk behind someone's back, or complain about their comments when they are not here to defend themselves.

And I helped write that critique. I was the one "yelling" in her ear, not really, I'm just a loud person. She basically wrote the whole thing, on my dev account instead of on her own account, I didn't actually want to give the critique *shrug* So actually, maybe you insulted my art, not hers. I have no idea nor do I really care.
Have a nice day. heart (This is meant sincerely, in case you interpret it incorrectly. ^^; )
Best of luck.

Did that sound like a harsh critique at all? I hope my reply wasn't too mean. gonk I tend to ramble. I'd be HAPPY to get a critique that detailed.

If you can't take constructive criticism, why do you post it up in the picture post or deviantart? I HATE when people ask for criticism, they get it, and they IGNORE you, or don't answer, or just take it personally and say you attacked them purposely to make them cry. stare And then, THEY turn around and attack you, or think you don't know anything, or say your art is worse.

What made me the most mad was that this person didn't confront my friend and decided to cower and backstab instead. And say that my friend's art was WORSE when it isn't.

Since, that's long enough.. and uh.. if you get through with it, yeah. xD I'll go start in another post.

(I won't post any links out of the courtesy I have for others, or names, but if you're curious enough to see her work, the one we critiqued, and my friend's artwork, PM me. xD)

Yeah, I just needed to vent. xD  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 9:21 pm
Koji: Bahaha, that's so funny. Then again, I'm like that too. If someone I hate (ever so few people) then I refuse to have whatever they have. gonk
Badtz Maru guitaaaaaaar! I wanted an Emily the Strange guitar once.. it was sooo pretty. :'D
I've heard good things about the zen too. xD My friend has one, the screen is purrrrrrty.

Nyome: Nyo!!!! :'3 Merry Akahomas to you too. <3 We miss you like crazy too and I'm finally starting to be active in the guild again. xD
Hope the year treated you well. xD

Memai: xD I remember I kept putting off my Xmas shopping once. It was chaos trying to get everything.
Good luck with the doujin, I wanna see it. :'D
Good luck on your test. xD Do well! I know you will. 3nodding

Fenders make nice basses. xD I wanna learn bass too.. but one thing at a time. =D
I know Tilly's sells baby blue and baby pink Paul Frank sock monkeys. That could be your version of a fax monkey. xD They're so ugly, but in a cute way.

Shiro: Did I beat your maximum post length yet?! xDDDD *is shot 20 times, coughs up blood, and dies*

DarkishStar

Noob

6,775 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100

Memai-kins

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 5:45 am
Darkish >> Gah, I hate it when people do that sometimes. There is a different between a good critique and a bad critique, they just can't see it is all xp But hey, we need idiots in the world to make us look smarter, yes? xd I usually write a critique if someone asks for it X) So if anyone wants any, you can ask me (or Ashram...he's good at that too!)

Hurh! Last minute shopping = the whole family sneaking around the house. Come the 23rd or 24th, we all go out and start acting like a clan of ninjas D:

Yes, bass >_>; Lovely instruments heart Though a lot of people say I should play guitar instead, since I used to dabble in piano xp

Hurh, I think I'll have a look at those sock monkeys XD They might 'funk-i-fy' (?!) my room X)  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 6:38 am
Alucard - Red vs. Blue is brilliant. Not that that was really related, but oh well.

Close to Ohio? My apologies for your proximity to hicks. xp

Darkish - Tch. It's called "critiquing" for a reason. I'm not even going to start, but I'm glad you said something. 3nodding

Koji - I dun neeed no twennygighs! xd

The micro was small, adorable, and very functional. If you only want 5 gigs, look into that. Or the Neeon: it was recently released in the US. I don't know much about it except it's bloody gorgeous. (http://www.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=213&subcategory=214&product=12214)

Akahoshi - xd Nah, that's ok. I've had enough posts in this guild. Page 1000 should have been taken by a guildy.

No... It's some photo my coworker found on the internet. I always call myself a Fax Monkey, so....

Nyome - heart ! Get back here, you! And Merry Akahomas!

Ashram - Damn straight.

Memai - You sound busy. Take it easy so you don't burn out!  

Abandoned Dreams
Captain

Deuxia Devonair

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 10:42 am
... Unfortunately, I don't have much time.. but I wanted to share this with you all. Thanks for making this an unforgettable year. Happy Akahomas!!! heart

http://spaces.msn.com/members/deuxia/Blog/cns!1pWLG2cmu5qz2DVO6FZK53Tg!330.entry  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 12:34 pm
AD> Your wisdom could make up for the hickdom of at least one city though, so it might balance out 3nodding

Darkish> You weren't being too harsh, and neither was the original commenter.

Ashram> Yes! Always blame communism! xd  

Alucard_

Chibi Koji

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 3:53 pm
Darkish~ Haha yeah, for that reason I didn't start watching FullMetalAlchemist when it went all mainstream. I can't stand how everyone went all gaga for it. But I watched a few, and I have to admit it's pretty good. x_x;

AD~ That'll be my mantra. 8D
o_o
That's enough to win me over. xD If I can find one I'm soo gettng it. x)

Eeee, I just woke up from a night full of hillucinations. xd
I thought I could rough out being sick and be good by the next day, but it took me full force once I fell asleep.

In summary:
I'm afraid of Lang now. She tried to HIT ME. ; ;
The powerpuff girls and assorted villians come out of closets in spirals.
I need to put a restraining order on Lamchop.

@_____ __@;;  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 6:00 pm
Koji> Woahwoahwoah. Wait. You MET Lang?  

Alucard_

axel

Angelic Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 6:41 pm
damn i missed you guys ; A; *kicks computa* i'm glad i made it back to at least see akahomas though :'D

how is everybody?????  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 10:16 pm
[ Message temporarily off-line ]  

Abandoned Dreams
Captain

DarkishStar

Noob

6,775 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 2:01 am
Going to be gone until Thursday. gonk I'll try to post at least tomorrow if I can probably not though. =( I'll be off to a Christmas retreat. Camping, in a buddhist temple, fun. xD

Memai: Hahaha.. yeah. So we'll look smarter. heart And I'll keep that in mind if I ever need a critique. ^^
Yeah, people told me it was easy to pick up the guitar.. I HAVE been doing piano since I was in kindergarten.. I'd like to quit, but my mom's too asian. xp

AD: Argh. I just. Argh. x3

Hick state. xDDD My dad had a buffalo steak once. I don't know why it reminded me of that. o.o;;

Deuxi: Happy Akahomas dear. That made me smile so much, I feel the warmth in your words. I too am glad for GASOC and the people I've met here. heart

Alucard: Yay. ^^ I hate people who can't take critiques, but I hate backstabbers the most. Backstabbers should be.. stabbed. xD

Koji: I haven't watched it yet either, though many people say I should. And maybe I should, now that you say it's good. x3 To think that almost happened to me with Cowboy Bebop, I thought it would be overrated or something, but it wasn't. =O Grudges. x3

Your hallucinations sound scary. O_O I had hallucinations before too.. but I won't discuss that here. I almost cried from mine. But the Lambchop comment made me laugh. xD

axel: Happy Akahomas! heart I'm doing great. x3 Still a tad sick though. D: What about you? How have you been? x3

MERRY ****ING AKAHOMAS!!!

(early. xD)  
The Gaian Art Shop Owners Coalition

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 999 1000 1001 1002 1003 1004 ... 1219 1220 1221 1222 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games