Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Art Shop Owners Coalition

Back to Guilds

Reply The Gaian Art Shop Owners Coalition
The Hangout....where sanity is overrated. Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 1171 1172 1173 1174 1175 1176 ... 1219 1220 1221 1222 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Saisei Hoshi
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:45 pm
Deuxia - I'm glad my pixel booty makes you giggle. heart

Shiro - The new layout looks fine except for that map thingy and the logo just looks like they ran out of ideas and gave up.

Darkish - I never had my wisdom teeth surgery mine just came and they told me everything was all good so I guess I lucked out. And I want a martini glass to hold or a big one I can sit in.

AD - That summary is pretty much spot on, I "found" the audio book and pretty much I have to say that's how I've been taking the book. Also if this becomes a movie it will either be 6 hours long or they'll need to skip most of the book because for the most part the don't do much but move and talk for like 3 months. It's a bad book.

My favorite thing I heard regarding Harry Potter was that they setup like a helpline thingy for people that may need help dealing with the fact that it's the last book. I fell off my couch when I heard that on the news and hoped they'd show the number which they didn't.

Ok Well sleep time for me.

Later heart  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:47 pm
Memai: Indulgent shopping! I'm so guilty of that! XD I like to reward myself after taking good tests and stuff. Or when my birthday is coming up. xD It's especially fun to trek through with other indulgent shopper friends as well though. So I don't have to feel bad about being the only one shopping.

I guess I like the suaver, nicer-dressed types of guys. xD

AD: I survived the worst. The swelling is subsiding. And I don't have to constantly ice my face anymore. x3

And seriously, I'm glad the news reports stopped. I was going to go insane. I finished the book today though.. very mixed feelings about it. Well, an aspect, but still! And that excerpt you put up was so true, but so funny. xD I'm going to have a looksie at that lj.

Hoshi: Oh, lucky you! D: I think my sister will turn out that way. But it should be, she already got 4 teeth removed for braces.. I would absolutely hate to be her if she had to get 4 more taken out...
A martini glass to sit in.. that would be so cute.. xD I'd personally like a little one of those coconut drinks, that come in a cocunut with a little umbrella in it. x3 They should make more little glasses or drinks things other than the mugs they got out. confused

DarkishStar

Noob

6,775 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100

Abandoned Dreams
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:53 am
Akahoshi - You've always excelled at "finding" things online. You're like some kind of black-market bloodhound.

According to the summaries I've seen, Harry goes on multiple -- and pointless -- rambles about nothing of particular interest. I'm not paying $7 to see that acted out by PointyMan Radcliffe.

Although, I have to say that I'm actually feeling better today than I have in a long time regarding the HP thing. Not only did Rowling fail to outdo herself (10 years and no improvement in writing style? Ouch.), but she also failed her characters and their potential. For some reason, I feel like the world has been righted.

A helpline? The hell? People don't need a helpline; they need a ******** copy of The Elements of Style and some decent literature.

Darkish - Duh na na na na na na na ICE-FAAAACCEEE!!

Rowling pulled out all the stops on cliches for DH. The most upsetting part was her treatment of Harry (Emo Gary Stu FTW!) and the epilogue. That's pretty much a "get the hell out of my world" demand as far as fanfiction goes.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:27 pm
I somehow knew that GASOC would be the only place I could safely hide from all of the Harry Potter madness.

Thank you, everyone. <3

In other news: Hello. biggrin  

Sir Langley
Vice Captain

Abandoned Dreams
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:35 pm
Lang - "Madness" as in "fangirling"? Because I'm pretty sure the phrase "Harry Potter" did pop up a few times in the last couple of pages, though not necessarily in a positive light.

Hello, anyway. b***h.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:45 pm
AD: I think what bothered me the most about Harry Potter since number 6 is that Ginny Weasley is such an obvious Mary Sue. She doesn't do ANYTHING to add to the plot except her beauteous eyes and shining hair. GAH.

Cappuccino for the win! Though I myself prefer caramel fraps at Starbucks. D:

Lang: Yes, I think we have more common sense than the usual population that goes wild over the latest Harry Potter book. xD FANGIRLS ABOUND!!!!!!!!  

DarkishStar

Noob

6,775 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100

Memai-kins

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:53 am

Or we're just cynical bastards who have a higher taste and intellect compared to the average Joe ;'D ... Damn, I just gave myself the image of GASOCians in fancy Victorian clothes, sitting around, having tea and discussing fancy people stuff XDDD

Like bone liquefying swords ninja

Darkish >> YES! Indulging in SHOPPING! It's not just limited to clothes though XD; I spoiled myself with cosmetics... I'm officially ready to start my crack year at uni >_>; (which starts on Monday, just to let y'all know...)

AyDee >> I dunno, I find Harry nothing more than a simple wish-fulfillment for Rowling. How can a guy be so heroic and so angsty at the same time?! Superman has less problems >_>; I do have to agree with the critics for the latest HP book; they labelled it as a nicely packaged piece of poor fanfiction. Sad to see more books going down that way D:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 6:51 am
Darkish - I haven't read anything past OotP, but I did hear such complaints across the web. It seems to be the fate of all redhead female characters. And didn't she nearly get Harry & Co. killed back in, oh, book 2? Tch.

Starbucks is overpriced and overrated. Give me Lady Grey tea any day. xp Not that I'd say no if someone bought me something at Starbucks, of course.

Memai - Teatime at GASOC: "My word! Did you see how that last one's arm flew right off?"
"That was rather impressive, actually. Almost as though he had no bones!"
"Quite! More tea?"
"Yes, thank you. You're such a dear."

Thomas Harris did the same thing when he fell in love with Hannibal Lector. After the first book, Hannibal went from Most Kickass Baddie EVER to Ultimate Gary Stu. In the later books, Hannibal escapes from outrageous (and truly insane) plots, gets the girl (you know, Clarice), and lives out the rest of his days in some posh city, seeing operas and whatnot.

I managed to get my hands on a copy of DH at the library on Monday, and I have to agree with the "bad fanfiction" complaint. I'm no great fan of HP fanfiction, but I do get bored sometimes, and I've seen several that are better than what Rowling served up in DH. That, and her use of similes has forever turned me off to them.

Deathly Hallows, Epilogue
"The morning of the first of September was crisp and golden as an apple."

*twitch* Hack!  

Abandoned Dreams
Captain

Memai-kins

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:34 am

I haven't read a lot of Hannibal Lector, but I do see what you mean. A lot of stories either end up being the worst read ever after the author falls in love with their little creation(s). And only a handful of authors could get away with it, but not Rowling DX

That... that line. I just need to fix it!! Why not describe the morning as "crisp" and leave it as such?! >_O; Her over usage of large words and ridiculous similies explains why the books are so thick and heavy (Order of the Phoenix, anyone?) gonk I wouldn't go to great lengths trying to put in so many words to describe a scene or whatever, unless it had some significant meaning. Otherwise...

I'm just glad that 'Bully' fanfics can't get out of hand too much XD

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:45 pm
rofl Aydee's news about Scholastic raising some smackdown on Gaia was amazing. The level of hype for this book is baffling. I think everyone else did a good job confirming that in the last page or so. xd

Darkish: Ah I'm glad you're feeling better. D:

Memai: You start school soon? gonk Too early!!  

axel

Angelic Hunter

Abandoned Dreams
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:55 pm
Guild Announcement!
(Because, come on, you totally miss those...)

Srsly, folks, I do have a small matter I'd like to bring to your attention. Some of you remember that we had a group charity auction a...few years ago. As in, December of 2004. Anyway, the mule created for that purpose has lain dormant, quietly protecting the guild's good name (so no n00bz can be "GASOC," because it's an ever-so-popular name) and keeping track of our abandoned wealth.

Yes, "abandoned wealth." Now, I'm not current with the Marketplace, or anything else in Gaia for that matter, but we have, as a guild, 43,158 in gold and letters from July '04, August '04, and October '04 (x2). ...and a red dress and some shoes and whatever.

So, my question to all of you is: What should we do with it? I don't think the guild is in any need of subforums (in spite of our overwhelming popularity and traffic...) and I don't think there are any other guild features to buy. I'd briefly considered using the gold for group art, but that requires an awful lot of "who gets drawn and who doesn't" debating. So, in lieu of doing my job as your amazing guild leader and making any kind of decision, I'm placing it in your hands.

Should we:
A) Leave it
B) Split it up between the active members
C) Commission GASOC-themed art
D) Donate to a quest
E) Hire dancing polar bears in funny hats (I mean, "other.")

-------------------------------end-->

Memai - I don't like sequels for that exact reason. Too much fangirling on the part of the author.

Even "crisp and golden" would be fine! Besides, it's prejudiced against red apples!! Who the hell thinks "golden" when they think "apple"? I frickin' don't.

axel - Scholastic smackdown. xd If I ever get published, I'd like it to be with Scholastic. They're not publishers; they're rabid bodyguards!  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:41 pm
Finished the harry potter monday night and took yesterday to drink it away. It was a waste of an ending out of countless possible endings she choose the dumbest one. And I have a feeling there's going to be another book, I doubt she'll end her little cash cow.

Darkish - I'm having coconut drinks on sunday, birthday party on a beach. So after an afternoon of vodka drinking hopefully it will soak in to the coconut and I can have vodka tasting coconut as a snack. whee But we do need a better gaia selection of glasses.

Memai - Poor you, your schooling schedule is weird. July is not a time to be in school.

AD - I'm a pirate of the interwebs, finding hidden treasure is second nature to me.

As for the apple thing, Rowling was probably hungry during the time it was written.

Magic guild money, I'm throwing my vote into C. Because art is always nice. The group art would have been nice, but lots of work to organize and it not nice to leave someone out.

And yes sequels are bad, always. It's why I like the Discworld series nothing is a continuation even if there are the same people and parts from other books are mentioned. All separate story just taking place in the same world.

Ok I think I'm done.  

Saisei Hoshi
Crew

Memai-kins

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:31 pm

Keep in mind, guys, that we don't have Summer vacation here XD So we start
    on Monday >_>;; We have plenty of other holidays to ditch school with, so don't worry about me not having enough time to art around (these teachers literally want everything, including doodles O_o!)

AyDee >> When I think 'golden' I think 'autumn' or 'wealth'... not apples. Unless Rowling somehow broke into my OC vault and liked the idea of a golden apple O_o;;

As for the guild thing... I honest to goodness have no idea gonk I like the GASOC art idea, and the polar bear ones >_>;;

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:45 pm
XO quick catchup timeeee

--- I'm getting one of my wisdom teeth surgically removed too. I expect it'll be painful and I'm making my father get me yummy crepes as soon as I can eat them again.

--- Daniel Radcliffe looks stoned a lot of the time...or is it just me? I never watched the HP movies closely. The only ones I've seen are when my friends force me to watch with them. n_n;

--- I picked up the last HP book because we happened to be eating lunch next to a Borders bookstore. XD The first thing I thought when I read it was well, why in the world hadn't I realized how bad her writing style was before. But after a few pages in, I swear my mind just got numbed to it and I felt like a bit of a zombie. As far as the book goes, I basically agree with what's been said. I did find it a bit funny that my mom picked up the book and said "Wow, this person really tried to fluff up the book by making the font incredibly big and fill up very little of the page, huh?"

@Jenna--- Yay, welcome back~ It's been awhile since I last saw you.

@Deuxia--- Psh, you're a sweetheart. ;x you make my art (and me) seem way better than it is. I'm also getting quite bored drawing Nyo and all my mules repeatedly when I need art practice. I think I shall have to seek out some random victims, but I think I prey on GASOC too often as well. > <;

I tried yellow with Nyo, but her hair just seems to hate it. : (

@Darkish--- I'm good! You're heading off to college? That's exciting! I was scared when I did ( because I knew nothing about the college, it was in a big scary city I'd never visited, and I would be halfway across the country from home ^ ^;; ) but I'm sure you'll be much better!

My summer has been slow and boring, and I'm so glad for that. My life at school is so fast-paced that I enjoy just lazying around here.

@Langwifey--- SHINY + PRETTY. <3

@AD--- Wow, we snagged some pretty juicy 04 letters. I was actually most surprised by the red dress though. XD

What would C be then, if not really group art for GASOCians? It seems like a nice option, though I'm not too clear what it really means.

I prefer D, personally. I've gotten into my art freebie event threads, and I love seeing people when they get something they really want. I think we should donate a bit of the wealth to different quests, or different charities if we don't want to pick out the questers ourselves. It was a -charity- auction after all, wasn't it? We could donate art to some art quests too... though some of those are merely counting numbers of artwork instead of appreciating them, which is why I never followed through with that.

B seems like a reasonable choice too. We did work for the wealth, and most artists here aren't exactly pulling in great amounts of gold due to our inactivity. I actually have no idea how a lot of the members here manage to buy new items. I at least have my minishop, and even that doesn't do more than give me a bit of pocket gold.

And who could possibly refuse E? No further reasoning needed there. < <;

Maybe we should just sell off the 04s and divide it between many of those options. It seems like the fairest way to do things, and it would make a lot more people happy than if it just went into one option.

That's just my take on it though. ^ ^;;

Nyome

Abandoned Dreams
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:33 am
OK, so...Akahoshi voted for art and polar bears...as did Memai...and Nyome voted for pretty much everything. If I thought that putting the issue to a vote would make my life easier, I'm a very, very silly girl.

Akahoshi - If Rowling writes another book anytime soon, I swear I'll snap. And because this is a public forum, I refuse to elaborate.

I usually stumble onto web treasure, which is rather unhelpful considering I can never find what I want at the right time.

Anne McCaffrey. Same story, different book. Over and over and over...

Memai - Still, though. Not having a good ol' "summer break" is hard for us September-through-June-school-year types to imagine.

Nyome - When in doubt, attack the typeset! xd I think your mother and I would get along fabulously.

Yeah, I was all like, "OMFG, reddrezz! That's like...800 gold!"

C would be group art, I guess. I don't know. As I stated before, making decisions with others' money is a tricky subject that I tend to slink around like an oil-coated eel... (*ptooie!* Where did that Rowlism come from?)  
The Gaian Art Shop Owners Coalition

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 1171 1172 1173 1174 1175 1176 ... 1219 1220 1221 1222 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games