disorder or reorder? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

MegaTherion777

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 1:45 pm
Penny Nickels
I agree with you. I don't know much about aspergers, but I was diagnosed with ADD too and I don't consider it to be a disorder. I also had taking my ADD medicine because I don't think it's fixing any "chemical imbalance", I just think it's changing me. Yes, I do have trouble paying attention often in class and concentrating on my work, but in my head I think about other things hat I am more interested in and I don't think it's so terrible, I just think it makes me unfit for certain subjects in school.
Some subjects, like history, I have no problem in without my medication, but other subjects, like math and science just bore me and without my medication no matter how much I try I'm still not interested in most of what we learn in them so my brain decides to ignore what I learn and throw the information away.

The truth is, everyone's brain works differently, and everyone's chemical balances are different.

This is the slightest bit off topic, but I also think schitzos aren't as crazy as most people say they are. I think a lot of them might actually just be really smart and know things that other people don't want them to know, so these people labeled them as crazy to protect themselves. I have friends who have been diagnosed with a lot of mental illnesses, and if I didn't refuse to talk to phsyciatrists and doctors I would probably be diagnosed with more than just depression. But it's funny how people who claim they see ghosts or aliens are considered crazy, but all these religious people running around talking about "God" and whatnot are "normal".

^ rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl

of course, if you talk to god, it's fine. it's when he talks back that you get locked up. yet another double standard... ninja  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:22 am
Penny Nickels
I agree with you. I don't know much about aspergers, but I was diagnosed with ADD too and I don't consider it to be a disorder. I also had taking my ADD medicine because I don't think it's fixing any "chemical imbalance", I just think it's changing me. Yes, I do have trouble paying attention often in class and concentrating on my work, but in my head I think about other things hat I am more interested in and I don't think it's so terrible, I just think it makes me unfit for certain subjects in school.
Some subjects, like history, I have no problem in without my medication, but other subjects, like math and science just bore me and without my medication no matter how much I try I'm still not interested in most of what we learn in them so my brain decides to ignore what I learn and throw the information away.

The truth is, everyone's brain works differently, and everyone's chemical balances are different.

This is the slightest bit off topic, but I also think schitzos aren't as crazy as most people say they are. I think a lot of them might actually just be really smart and know things that other people don't want them to know, so these people labeled them as crazy to protect themselves. I have friends who have been diagnosed with a lot of mental illnesses, and if I didn't refuse to talk to phsyciatrists and doctors I would probably be diagnosed with more than just depression. But it's funny how people who claim they see ghosts or aliens are considered crazy, but all these religious people running around talking about "God" and whatnot are "normal".

very good points. i too believe that those with schizophrenia do possess a knowledge and way of thinking that can be profound and useful however it is the unfortunate case that many of them are unable to control or are absolutely ignorant of their condition and the can lead them to dangerous beliefs and actions. i also dont believe that mental illness is purely a case of "chemical imbalance" and it often angers me when i hear doctors tell people that, it is true that with an illness there is imbalance but to say that the imbalance is the case is ridiculous and shows the ignorance of human life that many doctors have. illness is internal and external, that is it has a subjective psychological factor as well as a physical chemical factor. to say that you have a chemical imbalance doesn't say a thing. and using chemicals to re balance is just as absurd, it doesn't solve problems it treats symptoms.
insanity is a matter of agreement, if you are not like the others then it is possible that you are insane. i have been crazy many times, yet i am fine now. i did not give in and i did not believe that it was apart of me, just a passing state. it is not always so easy though sad , some people are overwhelmed and no amount of will power can stabilize them, perhaps too deep, perhaps too long, perhaps they do not know until it is too late. the only way out is through and if you get lost perhaps no one can help you.  

AbrAbraxas
Crew

MegaTherion777

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:31 am
AbrAbraxas
Penny Nickels

very good points. i too believe that those with schizophrenia do possess a knowledge and way of thinking that can be profound and useful however it is the unfortunate case that many of them are unable to control or are absolutely ignorant of their condition and the can lead them to dangerous beliefs and actions. i also dont believe that mental illness is purely a case of "chemical imbalance" and it often angers me when i hear doctors tell people that, it is true that with an illness there is imbalance but to say that the imbalance is the case is ridiculous and shows the ignorance of human life that many doctors have. illness is internal and external, that is it has a subjective psychological factor as well as a physical chemical factor. to say that you have a chemical imbalance doesn't say a thing. and using chemicals to re balance is just as absurd, it doesn't solve problems it treats symptoms.
insanity is a matter of agreement, if you are not like the others then it is possible that you are insane. i have been crazy many times, yet i am fine now. i did not give in and i did not believe that it was apart of me, just a passing state. it is not always so easy though sad , some people are overwhelmed and no amount of will power can stabilize them, perhaps too deep, perhaps too long, perhaps they do not know until it is too late. the only way out is through and if you get lost perhaps no one can help you.

but what people want is to treat the symptoms and not the problem, so that's why doctors do that. so many people don't really care about being well, as long as they can feel almost normal, so they want the symptoms to be treated.

there's more to respond to but i have to run, i shall finish later

EDIT (it's later lol): okay the other thing i wanted to say was about the schizophrenia - i agree that they do have a unique and useful way of thinking, but like abraxas said, there can also be a dangerous side to this. a friend of a friend is a paranoid/schizophrenic, and i've met this guy and he is extremely intelligent. unfortunately his doctor switched his medication and it caused him to freak out. i dont know the specifics, but he reacted very violently and had to be restrained and taken to a mental health institution. i hear he is doing better now, although i'm not sure how much better that means.

but this is an example of doctor's treating symptoms. this guy was on one medication and was fine - he had a few personality quirks, but he could function, and was a pleasant, friendly fellow. but his doctor was annoyed by these few quirks, and in an effort to treat the symptoms and make this guy "completely normal" the doctor switched his medication and the results were very bad.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:15 am
Well Mega you are right that people only want the symptoms treated. that is due to their ignorance of what they are, the way that things work and such. but the doctors are supposed to have become educated... yet even the institutions that educate doctors are biased, ignorant and dominated by pharmaceutical big money.
i too have a good friend of whom i have witnessed emotional disturbances like paranoid delusions, likely exacerbated by the prescription drug paxil. in his case the drug was a making things worse and coming off of it was kinda scary, but without he seems to have adjusted very well. maybe he can say more if he likes. also i have my own experiences with psychosis and have survived, voices hallucinations and everything, some how i managed to stay the course and not be too alarmed i channeled my energy into studying myself and writing in my journal. i think we each have the possibility of psychotic episodes in our lives and making it through we will be rewarded with wisdom. though as i also pointed out they can be very dangerous too.  

AbrAbraxas
Crew

MegaTherion777

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:42 am
AbrAbraxas
Well Mega you are right that people only want the symptoms treated. that is due to their ignorance of what they are, the way that things work and such. but the doctors are supposed to have become educated... yet even the institutions that educate doctors are biased, ignorant and dominated by pharmaceutical big money.
i too have a good friend of whom i have witnessed emotional disturbances like paranoid delusions, likely exacerbated by the prescription drug paxil. in his case the drug was a making things worse and coming off of it was kinda scary, but without he seems to have adjusted very well. maybe he can say more if he likes. also i have my own experiences with psychosis and have survived, voices hallucinations and everything, some how i managed to stay the course and not be too alarmed i channeled my energy into studying myself and writing in my journal. i think we each have the possibility of psychotic episodes in our lives and making it through we will be rewarded with wisdom. though as i also pointed out they can be very dangerous too.

well it's a capitalist society. the demand is for treating symptoms, not problems, so the doctors and the pharmaceutical companies are going to do just that. that's how they can make a living. to change it, i think you'd need to change people's desires - to want the problem treated and not the symptoms.

i agree that we each have the possibility of psychosis, and that making it through can provide wisdoms, but the problem is making it through. it's very easy for people to get lost, unfortunately, and with society treating symptoms it's also easy for them to STAY lost.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:15 am
our minds and being are filled with junk, which tends to mislead us. our fellows and even authorities are often blind or near or far sighted. yes the capitalist society is ego centered and has no interest in freeing us to see for ourselves. and that is what it is each person must strive for thier own freedom. but it is so often the case that people sit around and expect things to be handed to them, expect to be pampered, expect to live an easy life, desire mioney leisure and sloth.
::sigh::  

AbrAbraxas
Crew

MegaTherion777

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:59 pm
AbrAbraxas
our minds and being are filled with junk, which tends to mislead us. our fellows and even authorities are often blind or near or far sighted. yes the capitalist society is ego centered and has no interest in freeing us to see for ourselves. and that is what it is each person must strive for thier own freedom. but it is so often the case that people sit around and expect things to be handed to them, expect to be pampered, expect to live an easy life, desire mioney leisure and sloth.
::sigh::

it's because of television. they see talentless hacks on TV getting paid a lot for doing NOTHING (paris hilton, anyone?), and they wish they could do that.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:42 am
i think television and celebrity"royalty" are as much symptoms as they are causes, there is much more going on. perhaps it could be said that we have become a society of nassisitic egotists.
gotta go, maybe more later
good day  

AbrAbraxas
Crew

Amenubis

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:13 am
Reading all of this reminds me of my oldest brother, who was diagnosed with Paranoid-Schizophrenia, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, Narcissism, Auditory & Visual Hallucinations and Bipolar.

Growing up with him, he was always really really different from other children. I have three older brothers, and we all just thought he was very imaginative and violent, but there was obviously more to it than that. It was relatively controllable until the latter part of his teenage years. He became very paranoid and would see helicopters overhead, and would hear things telling him that he was an angel. His obsessive behavior also got completely out of control. He began obsessing over cosmetic products. He would ask you, several times what you thought of "this product v.s. this product". Which was funny at the time, but eventually it would be 6:00 a.m and he would be knocking on your door wanting an answer about the validity of Lorea'l or Pantene Pro'V. He would have violent outbursts that left holes in walls and stairwell spindles broken. He was in several different centers growing up, most of which were religion-based groups which did NOTHING but exacerbate his condition. He was very intelligent and artistic, but eventually that disappeared after all of the medication and institutions. He is still suffering from the disorders but is relatively stable where he is.  
Philosophy Threads

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff