Welcome to Gaia! ::

Fix Offers On Gaia!

Back to Guilds

This guild was created to help Gaians speak up about the offers. 

Reply Safer Offers
Pop-up Ads Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Have you ecountered these ads?
  yes
  no
View Results

cherry god mother

Adventuring Duck

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:08 pm
I thought it was just the computer I was on. >.>  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:49 am

I have adblock, so I'm not getting these, but if you ARE seeing ads in the advertising slots which are inappropriate, or make noises, PLEASE take a screenshot and go to Site Feedback- there's a thread about "inappropriate advertisements". Noisy ads are not supposed to be here, but sometimes, they slip through.

Anne Packrat provided the link a few posts back.

As for these scam-looking popups. Are these coming up on normal posting pages, or on header pages like Shops, Games, etc?

That helps to narrow down whether or not it's a new kind of scam window being popped up by password phishers or actually an advertisement / advertising bundle which might be causing this.

Flameinexile

Invisible Heckler

13,500 Points
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Invisibility 100

Taiyoko Utsukushii

6,050 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:52 pm
Yea I've had them before. One was something that said I had to enter my username and password because a moderator needed to confirm I was a Gaia member. How stupid , but I can see how people get hacked by these things.

Someone added one of these to the "Submit" button on the marketplace a while, meaning he/she got your password after you bought items . A lot of people have been hacked this way. It really sucks.

( I apologize for my idleness in the guild ,I've been offline for a while )  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:07 pm
Flameinexile

I have adblock, so I'm not getting these, but if you ARE seeing ads in the advertising slots which are inappropriate, or make noises, PLEASE take a screenshot and go to Site Feedback- there's a thread about "inappropriate advertisements". Noisy ads are not supposed to be here, but sometimes, they slip through.

As for these scam-looking popups. Are these coming up on normal posting pages, or on header pages like Shops, Games, etc?

That helps to narrow down whether or not it's a new kind of scam window being popped up by password phishers or actually an advertisement / advertising bundle which might be causing this.

I saw one pop-up a while back when I was buying my Steel Plated Ninja band in the forums. Like I said in my post above , It was one asking for username and password.

I think they're somehow hiding a link on forum posts , though I'm too stupid to know for sure. But , If they could add a code on something it would be hard to detect. Like if they could code dots in the same way you can code colors on text or URL it would be very hard to notice. Like this . A lot of people wouldn't notice that , and if it linked to these pop-up things then it would be pretty easy to catch people out with it.  

Taiyoko Utsukushii

6,050 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0

Belethiel

Green Smoker

21,300 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Bookworm 100
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:25 pm
Yeah I have... I got the explorer worm through an accidental click. gonk It has been removed.

You know those ads for the RPG Evony, right? O_o You can poke eyour eyes out with those things.... I just find the add annoying and kind of sexist... there is a very pretty woman in the adds, at first its just her face, then you scroll down and... BOOBS! I'm a hererosexual female, and I don't like looking at boobies. I just find them annoying, thats all. :3

And I HATE noise adds!  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:29 pm
idea Oh, and I have an awesome pop-up blocker! I don't know what exact program it is though... I never saw a pop up add on Gaia.  

Belethiel

Green Smoker

21,300 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Bookworm 100

TheNoirGeek

6,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:45 pm
Nope sorry. I haven't run into any pop-ups at all.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:25 pm
I'm really glad to actually have some reply. If I see them again, I will make sure to screenie it, and I suggest you all do the same.  

la dentelle
Vice Captain

Feline Demigod

23,725 Points
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Hero 100

Flameinexile

Invisible Heckler

13,500 Points
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:38 am
iFighter Kisa-Sama
Flameinexile

I saw one pop-up a while back when I was buying my Steel Plated Ninja band in the forums. Like I said in my post above , It was one asking for username and password.

I think they're somehow hiding a link on forum posts , though I'm too stupid to know for sure. But , If they could add a code on something it would be hard to detect. Like if they could code dots in the same way you can code colors on text or URL it would be very hard to notice. Like this . A lot of people wouldn't notice that , and if it linked to these pop-up things then it would be pretty easy to catch people out with it.

That for sure is a pop-up phisher.
If you're not sure where it's coming from, note what page of the thread you're on and you can report any post on that page or the whole thread, just make sure that you say which page- in a six page thread, it's not a big deal, in a six thousand page thread... whoooboy. If you report a post at random, explain that you got a phishing popup on the page and weren't sure WHERE it was exactly. A lot of the time it ends up being coded exactly as you're describing.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:34 pm
Most of these adds like to try to send you malicious viruses and the likes, there's maybe been 3 occasions where Norton had to boot me off the internet completely and run a full system scan cause some of those pop-ups tried to give me malware or some lesser viruses and virus related devices.

What I also find annoying are the adds that enlarge when you accidentally scroll too close to them. This could mean scrolling close to the ad's border, or the other side of the screen! There's been a few occasions where I went to click a link on the left side edge of a page when the add was all the way off to the right, and it would enlarge as I tried to click that link, causing me to click the add instead.

Also, those adds that appear over the "click here if the site doesn't direct you back to the page you were viewing" are super obnoxious, cause I visit this site on a couple of computers that I would indeed, need to click that button.

It's not right, they're annoying, and I know I might have gone off track, but personally, adds that appear OVER links I need and under my arrow as I try to click on a link or tab are just as troublesome as pop ups.  

kujjles

Magical Mage

9,600 Points
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Signature Look 250

HelenaPayne

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:57 am
One time, I clicked on the vending machine on the main screen, and a ad blocked the "I accept" link. I had to refresh the page. I got the item but it was really annoying.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:28 am
I have yet to see anything of the sort, really.

I'm curious as to what browser folks who are seeing it are using.  

The One Called Sketch
Vice Captain

xena91388

Gambino Zealot

14,150 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:41 am
I just got a pop-up! It said I won some contest in G-ville (my city) but at the top of the pop-up a program I downloaded from Web Of Trust told me it was a bad site.

For those interested in Web of Trust: http://www.mywot.com/

@Haterade: I'm using Firefox  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:22 am
Happened again this morning!

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

IceColdHaterade
I have yet to see anything of the sort, really.

I'm curious as to what browser folks who are seeing it are using.

xena91388

Gambino Zealot

14,150 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
Safer Offers

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers