Welcome to Gaia! ::

Leviathan Stadium

Back to Guilds

A battle Stadium for literate roleplayers. 

Tags: Literate, Fighting, Battle, Arena, Levi 

Reply Gaia
Feiruza Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Lucind Varhetel

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 4:45 am
She was getting closer and closer to completely lose herself in this moment, to leave the last faint ideas of morality behind - which meant Maximos had all reason to feel how he felt, and it was similar to what she had felt seeing the monster in him:

It was clear that by now, both of them equally had the power to erase each other.

And both, it seemed, would not truly mind if worse came to worse.

Her eyes seemed off focus. He wondered what she truly saw. Was it him? Or did she see the collections of thoughts and knowledges within him all available, save for a few, to one with access as unbidden hers. He wondered, perhaps if she saw him as something entirely else.

For now, she only saw what her current sight combined with what she knew about his memories and past. The Siren did not have the ability to simply gaze into one's head, to dissect a mind without touching it - and it were all those layers of his mind that hid the true appearance of his soul. However, breaching every psychic or psionic barrier would be a joy now, like sinking into a hot bubble bath or enjoying the finest wine: It could be a little too hot, or a little too dry, but even if the Shadow had had special psychic abilities, he would have had to put up more than strong defences to withstand her.

Fear did not fill him, but something far more exciting. He was hers, as she was his. His arms opened wide, accepting. His mismatched eyes passed over her, fully enveloped in the books influence. His lips formed the words without thought, his tone laced with invitation beckoning her to finish the sentence she began and whatever thoughts spawned it.

"...So?"

"So beautfiful."

Her hands ran up his chest, but did not touch, only her eyes' expression of unholy rapture showed she had begun permeating his inner world. Luring, bit by bit, like waves on the shore, each time reaching up the sand a little farther, she occupied his mind. And where his touch was ice cold when working in the shadows for some time or returning from his reaper business, her mental touch was cold too in a not so different way. First, her mental touch cooled his head, easing all trouble, then his hearing would be affected as all of his senses would numb gradually: Maximos would feel as if he was pulled under water, oxygen bubbles gurgling around him and her haunting voice still whispering to him, all the while her hands creeped up his neck.

"Breath taking...and so...so..."

Here, her mental self leaned in to kiss the outer wall of his soul, and flicked out her tongue - while a dark grin split her mouth in reality.

"...tasty."

Lucind chuckled and retreated very carefully: There were enough memories and images swirling inside the Shadow that did not allow her to forget the possible consequences of completely losing it.
Her fingers carressed his cheek, a thumb brushed along his chin, and before he knew what was happening, the Siren had stepped back. Her eyes had regained focus for a moment when she said:

"There is one more thing I'd like to show you." She turned back around to the book, whose souls had calmed down a little. "You have to hear them sing. It's marvelous."

With that, a song flowed from soft lips, a song that, as Maximos would likely notice, did not come from the Siren culture. It was sung in Seireneia, and even the style was sirenic. But the melody was not. How quickly would he understand where this song came from? Maybe only when in the basin's water under the lectern, the cover of another book appeared for a second or two, without breaking the surface: It was black and decorated only with the golden emblem of a dot and six stylized wings - exactly the same symbol that would appear on Lucind's chest bone, though only very thinly, like a remnant of a brownish marker drawing that defied to be removed with soap and water.

The Siren herself was captured in darkest bliss, one hand hovering over the pages, the other lingering in mid-air, performing calm gestures according to the song.
And the souls answered. United, and yet each with its own voice, they joined her song which was made to vanquish all depressing thoughts, to make the heart feel light and ready to overcome all sorrows. Even those that had shown sadness, frustration or despair in light of their voluntary prison, now forgot about their pain and added their voices to the choir.

Here and there, a smirk hushed over Lu's face. Her plan had worked. She had found a way to keep those souls in good mood so that she could continue using them. Although, she had to observe for how long the effect of the song worked, of course.

Maximos was probably lightly affected by her singing as well, even if it was not directed at him. But maybe he still saw how for a third time, a film of sweat appeared on the Siren's face, how her body began to shake: As her soul's wake was about to reach a momentary peak, so were the physical limits of her body. She stopped the song after the sixth or seventh stanca, then her hands searched for hold on the basin, as her legs began to give in.

Lucind reached out to close the book, but could not let go long enough for on arm would not carry her weight.

However, bit by bit, the souls started speaking again - only that now, it would turn into quite a task for her to channel and bend them to her will...  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 9:43 pm
He felt her coming like a tidal wave. What meager defenses his mind had were driftwood on the beach. And yet the beach of his mindscape was empty of even such refuse. For her it home only to Maximos with open accepting arms.

"...So?"

"So beautiful."

Needless to say, he blushed. Although in this lighting and on a face as pale as his own it might have been almost indistinguishable, it was there. He had been making progress with his previous aversion to physical contact and yet still, this made him blush. Her hands were so close even though they did not touch, that lack of contact did not constitute any lack of sensation. He could feel her even if he could not feel her.

She was touching him. She traced the edges of his mind with fingers he could not see. She gently touched parts of him that were not touched, that had never been touched by one as psychically unschooled as himself. Maximos was silent, which is to say he was speechless, his mind could not find the words and yet in his mind she would find the sentiment. And then, from that starting point she crept inwards.

Luring, bit by bit, like waves on the shore, each time reaching up the sand a little farther, she occupied his mind. His eye ignited not in panic or alarm but in curiosity. He had to see her, he had to see her like this, and know her as she would now know him.

There were parts of Maximos' mind which could not be seen. Protected not by himself, but my his occupation. Reaper targets past, present, and future, the times and names shown to him by his pocket watch, and so forth. These were the dark corners, the pockets of pallor filling his mind constantly. And while Lucind could not enter these, she could wash over them. She was a cool and steady stream that filled nearly every corner and space of his mind...and there were plenty, and in doing so she made him...no....

In doing so she let him, even for just a blissful moment, forget. There was her, and only her, and nothing else, and nothing mattered. The water was everywhere and he was drowning, and yet he could not bring himself to be anything other than utterly relaxed. As if he saw the sharp rocks coming to smash his vessel, but made piece with them and that ultimate fate, if it would just grant him a minute more. Her heard nothing, save for her voice. He saw nothing, save for the entrancing dark blue of the Siren's deep soul. He felt nothing, save for warm touches like the legs of some gentle pair of spiders creeping up his neck. He smelled her, like saltwater and tea. He tasted her soul, knowledge unladen. Blue washing over black which was pulled forever deeply into more blue. In a thoughtless moment his senses were lost and he wondered if he had let them slip or if they had been stolen. And yet, where there should have been panic there was her. And that made it all alright.

Maximos' form relaxed in her hands. Not lifeless or lethargic but calm. His breath evened into calm drags in and out. Only one eye continued to see, as that was its single purpose. To see, and make it so that blindness never kept a Reaper from his rounds.

"Breath taking...and so...so..." Her words resounding through him as if he were a long and empty hall. Here, her mental self leaned in to kiss the outer wall of his soul, and Maximos would have tried his very best to in some way return the gesture...but had no idea how, he only hoped she would catch and appreciate that thought. And then she flicked out her tongue.

"...tasty."

Lucind chuckled and Maximos in turn broke into laughter. She was retreating now, he knew it before he saw anything. He felt the cool water seep away, he felt the darkness shrouding his senses lift. At first it was as if he was seeing and hearing from underwater. As if he had plunged himself into the ocean and opened his eyes to see the surface. Slowly the warble began to fade, his vision began to sharpen and focus.

A warm moving sensation ran along his cheek and another smaller yet similar sensation brushed along his chin, by the time her fingers stopped the feelings had refined themselves into recognizable forms. Fingers, a thumb, but before he could react or even comment Lucind stepped back. Something in her posture told him that her decision to retreat may have been as much for herself as for him. Was he in more danger that he knew? Could he have been able to defend himself? Would he have wanted to?

"There is one more thing I'd like to show you." She said, and his questions vanished with her voice. She turned back around to the book, whose souls had calmed down a little. "You have to hear them sing. It's marvelous."

"Sing?" A singing book? And without a single though more the song began. This was a Siren song. But at the same time it was not. Maximos did not speak Seireneia, and yet one does not court a Siren and not hear the language enough to recognize it. But the tempo...the melody...it was different and yet familiar. So familiar in fact that it tugged at some deep part of him and begged to be recalled, just as it begged to be left forgotten.

Maximos was so focused on the melody that existed on the edge of his memory that the gentle slosh of water that was against the tune caught his attention. It was another symbol...and he knew that symbol. He knew it from memories before Lucind, and he knew it as he knew the canvas of her form. He remembered the mark on her chest without even having to look.

And thats when the memories came. And they came like a gushing torrent carried on the soft melodic flow. There was a city, and it was a bright and immaculate city. There was a library, and in charge of it was an ageless and seemingly genderless blond individual with six spotless wings and an unnatural glow about them. And they were humming this. And yet even their soft humming voice out performed any orchestra, any singer, any beautiful sound or sight Maximos had ever heard.

And then the souls joined. Maximos heard the too familiar voices of the dead. His memories flashed backwards. He remembered himself in his room. He felt his sword in his hands. He felt cold steel kissing his neck, and the single bead or red that ran down his shirt where blade met skin. A flash, a blur. Maximos remembered the sight of his Heavenly quarters turned sideways. His face was resting on the floor, his extremities were numb and cold, and his warm was spilled out in front of him like a river. Warmth flowed across wet stains down his chest and shoulder. And in that moment Maximos remember Lucind, and his soul, and telling her to "Tell them I'm sorry." In the real world Maximos lipped the words he lipped the apology he had spoken to her in that final moment.

And then, like pouring water on a canvas all the colors began to mix and swirl. The image blurred at all of its edges, and in much the same manner as a bad stain it dripped away. More voices joined in, and it came back, only different. Something in the memory made him smile, he remembered how bottomlessly empty he was then. How alone, and how full his life was now. He remember the worst memory as a reminder of a time that was now over.

Outside Maximos was smiling, not just grinning or smirking but smiling a warm charming thing. A smirk hushed over Lu's face. And then he saw, how for a third time, a film of sweat appeared on the Siren's face. The sight of her strain brought him back to reality. Lucind dark and blissful back on that tight rope and now she was beginning to sway. Her body began to shake. Spiritually and physically he saw the strain those final few words gave her. And then the music stopped. Lucind's legs gave out, her hands and reached out for the basin but they would never reach it. Instead they found support in Maximos' arms. One of his arms under each of hers firmly holding her waist-line, her center of gravity. If she would fall, completely he would guide the fall toward him, he would keep her standing and on her feet. And he was smiling.

Lucind reached out to close the book, but could not let go long enough for on arm would not carry her weight. Maximos stood between her, and the tome. For a moment, it seemed his blocking posture was intentional.

"This book is heavy..." Maximos said softly, carefully, lovingly, and yet there was a mote of something dark in his voice. "...isnt it? Is it trying to crush you? It stands in your way."

His left hand pulled her closer, she could lean on him if she wished. His body turned ever so slightly so that his right arm could move along the path her hand had begun but did not finish. As it moved he continued.

"I am taught that what one knows best, they observe the least. I am told that the faithful are most hurt by the objects of their faith." His fingers reached the edge of the lectern and stepped like black stained and chain-bound spiders up its edge and onto the book where his hand sprawled across its open pages like a large cat might stretch across a comfortable spot. "I had once learned that love is giving someone the power to hurt you terribly...and hoping they do not. And that we never trust anyone as easily as we did the first time."

"I know what you are feeling. I've felt all too recently myself. It threatens to overtake to control and yet feels like nothing else does. I see your struggle, and I see your control, and the thought of denying you the release of being even momentarily free of it...it pains me." Maximos leaned forward and planted a kiss on her sweating forehead. If this was a game he was playing, it was a dangerous one. "Do you trust me Lucind?"

"Because I feel together, we can lift this...together we can lift anything." And with that, Maximos' hand would begin to draw. Hundreds...hundreds on hundreds of voices...but Maximos could not feel the voices. Maximos could only hear them, and taste their life. And taste he would. He would taste of all of them, he would taste of each of them. Any that spoke to loud found a ceiling to their voice, where as they reached out something sapped their strength and their howls became soft spoken whispers. Maximos' right eye seemed to explode with life, from a small flare it moved to gushing torch billowing out white in gouts along the side of his face. Sparks ran up and down his right arm and yet each time the black miasma enrapturing his cursed limb began to pulse the black chains choked it back down.

"Because...I have something to show you." Not a single soul was lost. It was not as if Maximos was eating the book. No, it was if Maximos had just turned the volume down. Lucind could feed without restraint, and in this moment when her restraint was failing perhaps she would be drawn too. And in that, she would gain another understanding of what it was to live without fear of ones self. Or ones nature. Of what it was to be a monster. Of what it was to be free. And now, Maximos was letting the volume steadily increase. "Drink...my love."  

Maximos
Crew

Dapper Lunatic

Lucind Varhetel

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:09 am
Somewhere in the back of her mind she knew what intimate of a situation she had initiated by entering his inner world like this, and in a way, it was tempting to go even farther, farther than just kissing his soul - which was why she was taking a step backwards. It was part of her being a Siren, wanting to consume. And it was part of that love, wanting to own and be owned. The fact she was accepted as she was now, welcomed with open arms, gave her something she could not put in words. Yet, at the same time, she got an idea how Maximos must have felt before when she had been in shock and denial over the truth he had found for himself.

She was on her way to live up to her true nature, but even though most mental obstacles had been annihilated, Lucind still held on to moral limits. The woman knew that, unless she wanted to be an outlaw, she had to concede certain rules, otherwise she would barely be able hunt rare books without constantly having to watch out for people going after her life: She enjoyed being together with friends or making new acquaintances on her travels, or even still being known in Latent for the former supervisor of the Feimurgan team.
However, did that mean she was not allowed to completely let go from time to time? Would not that lead her back to a path similar she had been walking before?

When her body had reached its limits and Maximos' arms caught her, she tensed up in frustration, or would have done so, if her muscles had allowed her, but annoyance was written all over her face. Not because he had stepped in, no, but because she was so weak even her arm refused to be able to reach around and close the book that, indeed, now would begin to get the better over her with her strength and all those barriers teetering on the brink of a collapse. Maybe she had been too impatient, looking at the fact that only a week ago she had broken out of her invisible prison. Biting her lip, Lucind asked herself if she had made a fool of herself by wanting to proof him and her so badly... Her fingers dug into his arm as she leaned against him, while her clouded eyes peeked around his form at those empty pages.

The Shadow spoke. And she listened intendly, as each word dragged her away from her frustration.

"I know what you are feeling. I've felt all too recently myself. It threatens to overtake to control and yet feels like nothing else does. I see your struggle, and I see your control, and the thought of denying you the release of being even momentarily free of it...it pains me."

It pains me too. But how...how... I'm tired of it. I just...want to...

She did not look up, not even when he leaned forward and planted a kiss on her sweating forehead. Her look remained fixed on the book, as if losing sight of it would mean her end. The Siren sensed the upcoming danger of the new 'game' Max was about to begin - and she was getting more and more excited with each word from his mouth that followed.

"Do you trust me Lucind?"

Yes.

She nodded, and her lips formed that one word in silence.

"Because I feel together, we can lift this...together we can lift anything." And with that, Maximos' hand would begin to draw. Hundreds...hundreds on hundreds of voices...but Maximos could not feel the voices. Maximos could only hear them, and taste their life. And taste he would. He would taste of all of them, he would taste of each of them, and Lucind began to tremble, her fingers clutching his arm even tighter. She gulped, then hastily licked her lips.

"Because...I have something to show you." Not a single soul was lost. It was not as if Maximos was eating the book. No, it was if Maximos had just turned the volume down. Lucind could feed without restraint, and in this moment when her restraint was failing perhaps she would be drawn too. And in that, she would gain another understanding of what it was to live without fear of ones self. Or ones nature. Of what it was to be a monster. Of what it was to be free. And now, Maximos was letting the volume steadily increase. "Drink...my love."

Lu kept on staring, as her eyes began to hush from right to left, reading the souls whose voices grew louder which each second. Could she? Like a drowning person she clung to her lover, wanting so much to simply reach out and...and...

And before she knew what she was doing, another part of her had given her mind a nudge to step forward, take the next best soul and - taste.

It was a hesitant sip first. The Siren nipped her and there, but it was different already from those loving brushes and licks she had collected while tapping the souls' knowledge. With every stop she made to drink from this or that soul, her shaking body calmed down. Everything in her, calmed down, found back to that unrelenting, merciless state. Only that the ocean within her now began to deepen even more: The bottom sank, and areas began to form that went beyond those levels that even the oldest Sirens dared visiting, because those regions meant the awakening of primal forces their ancestors had turned their backs upon ages ago. Forces they had been confronted when meeting the First Five again for the first time in thousand of years, when the old lhor aven had been deactivated.

Lucind was back on her own two feet, still her hand held on to the Shadow's arm, indicating the rising bliss, no, cold, dark-blue ecstasy that was filling her, as her eyes finally lost focus. There was a wicked grin playing around the corner of her mouth, while her soul unfolded, stalking the captives of the tome to get a drink from each of them.

Somewhere, she heard faint voices of unrest: Her connection to the lhor aven was now on stand-by, and the book again, that is, its souls, were not connected to the Sirens' plane either because they resided somewhere between life and death. But those of her more attentive or sensitive people felt that something was going on, something forbidden. Maybe some of them had a forboding that somewhere, the great seal of denial had been broken.

With each gulp, Lu became colder, her soul vaster - but to the same extent, something else grew. And that was greed.

Her mouth was slightly opened, her breath began to quicken once more, and her hand slid off of Maximos' arm. That voice in her head that was now only a plea - that even a monster should define its limits - drowned between the souls that now looked at the woman with fear in their voices. But there was no escape for them.

And when she found a particulary old, beautiful, delicious soul, the last tie snapped. She drank. And drank. Deep, full gulps.
And then she thought to hear them, the mothers, celebrating at the bottom of her soul. There were feeble words of disdain, for it was them who had encouraged their children to abide those rules with the idea to not unleash a power that could cost Gaia its balance. But Lucind's action spoke so much to their own raw, unrestrained nature, that they could not help but sing and rejoice with songs unheard by the Shadow, but which filled Lucind with a lust and desire that...would make her empty that soul she was feeding off to the last drop, if Maximos did not intervene...

The Siren did not even notice she was chuckling to herself. A sound that would give a warrior the chills, make faint hearted cry and create children's nightmares.

Another mouthful of soul essence ran down her mental throat. And another one. Another one. And...  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:08 am
To say this was not what Maximos expected would be to use entirely the wrong sentiment.

Maximos did not expect this, but he didnt not expect anything. Expectation was contrary to freedom. Planning was opposite of liberation. The only thing Maximos expected was that he would have to pay close attention, and be ready for when the moment came to act. Until then, every moment. Every heartbeat. Every passing second would be some of the most intimate he had ever had with his lover.

Lu kept on staring, as her eyes began to hush from right to left, Maximos teased the proverbial volume letting it spike to taunting highs and then swoop to teasing lows. Could she? That was the question at hand, her eyes held the hunger, the exhilaration that comes from standing on the edge ones self imposed lines. Lucind was on the cusp of a boundary, what lie beyond was a precipice. A valley of foggy shadows dotted with unknown and unseen shapes formed by the mythologies and stores in the back of her mind that gave her glimpses an ideas into what would happen if she simply...stepped...forward.

Like a drowning person she clung to her lover. The Shadow was not a cementing post by which she could keep from tumbling over the edge. Maximos was a thin path into the obscure. A single concrete and definite thing that could guide her into the unknown, and hopefully back. When she clung to him, he held her just as tightly and yet he did not secure her to her spot in the forbidden library. She was close, but free to advance.

And before she knew what she was doing, another part of her had given her mind a nudge to step forward, take the next best soul and - taste. And as she slipped forward, the Shadow watched, the volume raised.

It was a hesitant sip first. Baby steps, as it were. The first few questioning foot falls that tested the ground ahead and made sure it was safe. If Lucind simply dove into the book with reckless abandon she would not be the woman Maximos so loved. Fear was there, and yet fear did not dominate. Any achievement reached despite fear was so many times more meaningful than one achieved without it. Within moments, Maximos watched her shuddering stop. He watched her strength return and solidify. The here to for bottomless vortex of blue and black that was her soul, had its bottom drop out revealing depths that Maximos could not put into words. Lengths he could not fathom, and yet this depth was not his to experience. There was a smile on his face that should could not see, as she dove to the depths of herself that he may never see.

Lucind was back on her own two feet, still her hand held on to the Shadow's arm. This was perhaps the most meaningful touch they had ever had. Not a passing caress, or a near automatic embrace. This touch had meaning, this was Lucind experiencing herself fully while still retaining a tether. He was her lifeline. She trusted him with her life. What could be more meaningful? He could taste her bliss, her cobalt and navy ecstasy. Could she feel his? In this moment, Maximos was experience a truer Lucind. He was seeing his significant other for what she was, inside and beyond the barriers. Beyond the physical. Past the flesh. What could be more intimate?

There was a wicked grin playing around the corner of her mouth, her entire demeanor had changed. Lucind moved from a babe testing the waters, to a hunter stalking them. She cornered and snagged the souls. The more she drank, the higher the volume became, and the more she received. When or if any soul became to close to being devoured Maximos hushed its volume to near silence and raised the voice of another stronger life force, thusly steering the huntress toward better prey.

Maximos could not hear the other Siren voices or sense the presences that warned and validated Lucind. But, at the back of his mind he knew what was coming. The similarity of it sent a chill down his spine. It was unavoidable, but this...was the true face of what he had wanted to show her. With each gulp, Lu became colder, her soul vaster - but to the same extent, something else grew. And that was greed.

That was the desire that over months had stalked the Shadow in his deep and secret places. This was the greed that was coupled with a gluttony, that ate at ones self just as it ate at ones prey. Maximos knew it too well. It had reduced him to a jibbering fool in many a dark alley, it had turned away friends and family alike. It had made him appear a mess. It was a monster. It was his monster, and her monster, and it pulled the edges of his mouth down.

Her mouth was slightly opened, her breath began to quicken once more, and her hand slid off of Maximos' arm. And he let it. She had to see this. She had to be this. Lucind was not lost, but she was very near it. The call of what lie beyond the path was very strong and she was about to teeter off.

And when she found a particulary old, beautiful, delicious soul, the last tie snapped. She drank. And drank. Deep, full gulps. Lucind fell, all limitation was tossed to the wind. Humanity and control were memories. This was the monster, the legend, the beast within. This was its true face. Just before death the old soul seemed to vanish and another morsel appeared, so much more louder and tastier as Maximos led her. She was chuckling now, engrossed in the experience. Every vestige of hesitation was gone. She was the sort of creature that would sink ships, ruin lives, crush souls, and simply lavish it all for the sake of her own enjoyment. She was Lucind, but not. She was a monster.

Another mouthful of soul essence ran down her mental throat. And another one. Another one. And...

BOOM!

The book was slid out from under her and slammed shut. The life line jerked Lucind from the depths. Maximos could not speak the Siren tongue, but he hoped that as his right hand offered the book to the water that the ship would know what to do. And he hoped it was smart enough to know not to bring it back if she so commanded.

In her moment of return, Maximos was beside the Siren. His right hand was placed on her back, his other free and ready to move where it might be needed. And he spoke.

"To be without fear of yourself, you must know yourself truly. You must know, what darkness you are capable of if you are ever to harness it." There was a handkerchief in Maximos free hand, it was jet black and soft as silk and had appeared from seemingly no where, and now it was dotting Lucind's forehead. "It is not enough to simply know with your mind, you must experience it. Feel its strength and pull."

"And now you have. For a moment there, my dear, it seemed you were a Siren in earnest. Tell me, how do you feel?"  

Maximos
Crew

Dapper Lunatic

Lucind Varhetel

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:56 am
So good. So delicious. She could not even tell if this soul had resided in a male or female body, so long had it been bound to the book.
It was screaming and squeaming in her hands, begging she would stop, offering all the knowledge it could give, but that was no longer what this Siren wanted. The path of her transformation had been completed: From the unplanned connection to the lhor aven, over the rebirth as a fullblood, her mental liberation a week ago - to the activation of her other side...she had come a long way. And one sip too much could mean its disastrous end.

What would have happened if Maximos had not been there with her on that day? Or was it meant to happen in this way and no other? Lucind could not see where this visit to her library would end, but instinctively, she had prepared herself, knowing about the possibilities. She had invited what was happening now, had led the course not only to face the beast inside, but also to allow the Shadow to see her, her very being, to be by her side.

But the inevitability of the current events were locked in a far corner of her mind while she feasted on that soul, whose voice was only a whisper now. Living to consume and destroy, following nobody but your most primal traits, bereft of any form of reason or logic assessment.

BOOM!

The book was slid out from under her and slammed shut. She was not pleased. Who had dared snatching that delicacy from her? Before she could begin feeling around for the offender's source, something pulled her back, and a guttural curse escaped pale lips. The life line jerked Lucind from the depths. And the monster he brought back accelerated her ascension, a dark storm rising, coming at him in anger. She wanted to crush him, drown him, punish him for interrupting her meal. In reality, Lucind swirled around before Maximos could take care of the book, one hand shooting up to grab his throat, the other producing the eshaton with a flick of her wrist.

"...!"

But as fast and rude her return had been, as quickly did her mind switch back on, regaining control over her actions. She froze. Her lips, contorted in a hiss, relaxed. She stared at the Shadow, registering and taking in bit by bit what just happened. Both her hands sank, the eshaton disappeared. Lucind took a step back, still gazing at him, her face blank.

She did not intervene when Maximos offered the book to the water, which worked, as the basin was constructed in two ways: Lucind could store things only she was able to retrieve, like her weapon or books; but the Vikra, too, was connected to that water, and so it took the tome. When, no, if it would return it remained questionable. All other books had fallen silent. Even the strongest and boldest of them needed to reconsider their situation, for they had just witnessed the true power of their jailor.

Lucind did not intervene when the Shadow came to stand by her side.
"To be without fear of yourself, you must know yourself truly. You must know, what darkness you are capable of if you are ever to harness it." There was a handkerchief in Maximos free hand, it was jet black and soft as silk and had appeared from seemingly no where, and now it was dotting Lucind's forehead. "It is not enough to simply know with your mind, you must experience it. Feel its strength and pull."

Ever so slowly, she lowered her head, her eyes narrowed, as though she was trying to focus on something.

"And now you have. For a moment there, my dear, it seemed you were a Siren in earnest. Tell me, how do you feel?"

She did not react. Lucind listened inwards, listened how a single drop of water, a tear of lost innocence, relief and freedom fell, and fell, down the endless cave that now was her soul. She counted endless seconds until it hit the bottom. It was so silent within. And at the same time...every fibre was vibrating with life. Even though she was not connected to the lhor aven, her Siren senses were sharpened, to a degree it was almost painful. She felt her surrounding in a way she had never done before - this went far beyond what she had expected after leaving her human side behind. Her vision was mingled with images her mind and soul send to her brain. Turning her head, she looked up at Maximos, but only saw the psionic projection, and behind him, next to him, in the distance she saw so many more souls, living, young and old.

It was overwhelming.

The Siren closed her eyes and focussed. Breathed out slowly. Upon opening her eyes, her look had cleared and truly found him.

"Alive."

She reached out to take one of his hands.

"I feel...alive."

But their was no triumph in her voice. No bitterness either. It was a confusing situation. She wanted to apologize for almost attacking him. There was a good portion of disillusion, now that she knew exactly how deep she could fall. At the same time, everything in her was vibrating, filled to the brim with energy. But it was new for her and so she did not know how to contain it.

She felt like she would not be able to stand still for much longer, to stay in this room. Lucind thought she might want to have a training fight right then and there - but in the same way, this seemed to be inappropiate when she could see and feel for the first time.

The grip around his hand increased. She was so full of life she did not know how to manage it.

"Do you have a recipe against bursting inside?"

She tried to make it sound like a joke, but her raspy voice and the pressure of her soul, the sharp gushes of winds coming from it and the effect it had on the ocean beneath the ship as well as the reaction of the people outside - it was now more extreme than before, when Lucind had drawn essence of knowledge from the book -, made clear the Siren had drunk more energy than was good for her for the first time.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:15 pm
He could feel it, it seethed off of her like heat from a flame. That offense, that incursion. It was like stealing a Lioness' kill and imagining that there would be no repercussions. And yet, Maximos knew there would be, and in a deep and dark place he even wanted them. In a whirl, a hand was at his throat and a weapon was drawn. The Shadow made absolutely no defensive moves, his body did not even seem to follow the natural instinctive principals and recoil or pull away. Her choking grab and threatening grasp may as well have been a passionate embrace. He accepted it with eyes eagerly anticipating what could and might come next. A mismatched gaze was locked on hers, unmoving even as his grin etched and uneven path across his face.

"...!"

And then, like dousing a fire with a bucket of water it was gone. The madness in her eye, the insanity, the darkness, it faded. Lucind began regaining control over her actions. His smile evened, not vanishing but rather ironing out all of its unnatural kinks and returning to something more...human. Both her hands sank, the eshaton disappeared. Lucind took a step back, still gazing at him, her face blank. Maximos tried his very best not to look disappointed. It was a very intense moment and he had been working very hard at teaching himself not to hide what emotions did surface around her. And so, it was difficult to say how he actually appeared.

And then the book was gone. And then Maximos was speaking, attempting to warm Lucind against what she had just felt. It was a scary thing he imagined. While he had kept his own personal monster in check, it had, at a few times and once for a very long time broken free. The experience was not something he could ever forget. Lucind however had lived far longer, and held her darker side in a deeper and more secure check. Maximos spoke and acted as gently as he could with this in consideration, but not so gentle as to make her feel he was patronizing her for a mistake.

She did not react. Her eyes were focused, and yet unfocused. They saw, and yet they did not see what was in front of them. Maximos could only have assumed that the effects of the "trip" were still being sorted through. Lucind's soul read something like a large gunshot. There was a sudden and wide open space, and none of the life that previously surrounded the area. She reminded him a bit of a snake that stretched itself to fit a whole egg, only now the egg was gone and the snake had yet to contract again.

He didnt know that she would ever "contract", or "shrink", or that Lucind would not simply be scarred...no that was a bad way of looking at it. Maximos did not know if Lucind would not be changed by this forever. New room, a new perspective. And while he thought the Siren closed her eyes, she breathed out slowly and then when her eyes opened they seemed to have regained their focus. Only...there was something different about them, the eyes were the window to the soul and perhaps with her soul changed her eyes seemed...altered.

"Alive." She reached out and took one of his hands, his fingers curled around hers. "I feel...alive."

The touch made him smile, and yet at the same time it was very reminiscent of her touch moments ago. Not around his neck, but around that very same arm. It was as if she was alive...and that was something she had no idea how to handle. He felt like something of a lifeline out in the darkness. It made him even warmer inside. It was something he was proud to have the chance to be. Proud and happy beyond words to be able to share with her.

Lucind stepped out, to a place from where there was no stepping back. Well, not sanely at least. She could deny everything she had seen, lie to herself and hide behind those lies. But that would do her no good. This, was the moment in which she had learned, and then breached her own limits. It was a changing point, a growing point. Her comfort zone was shattered, from this step she could truly advance. Everything was more real, everything was truer.

Lucind's eyes spoke of the desire to move, to leave, Maximos understood. His hand gripped hers tighter, even as she did the same. He slid himself a bit closer, bringing her hand to his chest.

"Do you have a recipe against bursting inside?" Maximos smirked.
"As a matter of fact..." His hand moved to slid a stray length of hair over her ear, his cold cursed fingers brushing her cheek. And then they lingered. "...I do."

And then he kissed her. His hand squeezed her hand tighter, while the other slid through her hair and behind her head holding her close. Now, from here Maximos' hand could have drained off any amount of energy straight from her mind. Infact, there were really a great deal of things that hand could do just by touching her. Lucind had been in his mind, she knew. There were any number of remedies available to her in this moment, but the Shadow left it to the Lady Lucind to choose.  

Maximos
Crew

Dapper Lunatic

Lucind Varhetel

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:50 am
At no point did she hide how she felt. But when she froze, Lucind shifted all her attention to what was going on inside, so that her body forgot to bother reflecting this process on her face.
And this inner discussion, weighing and assessing the experience the Siren had just made, would continue for some time. It felt like ages that she had reined her other side. Until the moment she had become a fullblood, it had been a matter of not ripping herself apart, although all the time, Lucind had thought to follow her mother's path and that combining both worlds by force was the only right option - and her duty. Lucind had left that past behind, but what she had indoctrinated herself decade after decade was not going to vanish within a week or two.

She had made this decision, yes. She would not go back, despite seeing, feeling the most primal state she could fall to, didn't make her want to jubilate. There was this twisted affection, attraction towards the monster she was too. Maybe a minimal amount of fear was there right then, yet respect and the will to watch out prevailed - just as the alleviating, if not intoxicating silhouette of freedom resined on top.

However, Lucind wasn't willing to fool herself. Too well she knew that she would hesitate again the next time she got the chance to gain strength by using other souls. And the next time after that, too. And likely also the next time after that.

"As a matter of fact..." His hand moved to slid a stray length of hair over her ear, his cold cursed fingers brushing her cheek. And then they lingered. "...I do."

And then he kissed her. His hand squeezed her hand tighter, while the other slid through her hair and behind her head holding her close. Now, from here Maximos' hand could have drained off any amount of energy straight from her mind. Infact, there were really a great deal of things that hand could do just by touching her. Lucind had been in his mind, she knew. There were any number of remedies available to her in this moment, but the Shadow left it to the her to choose.

The Siren didn't offer that he drew energy wherever or however he wished. She couldn't deny that letting Maximos take from her was more than a bit exciting. But the previous occurances in this room made her act a little more careful now. Lu had no illusion about the power of the cursed hand - if at all, she might destroy it at the price of killing herself.
And so, her psionic self reached out to the presence of Max's hand to deliver small portions of soul energy while shielding the rest, to not tempt it...or her. Even though insanity had retreated, it was still there, no longer buried. Curled up in the darkness, it purred, satisfied by the meal, and the woman smiled in its direction every now and then, almost softly.

And while she fed Maximos small amounts of herself to bring her inner world back into balance, Lucind's hand slipped free so that she could wrap both arms around his neck, deepening the kiss.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:42 am
This was the dust settling on a city after a controlled demolition. In the aftermath everyone knows the city will be forever changed. But how exactly? What will be the shape of the new world. The explosion and the destruction can be seen in both positive and negative lights but despite all of that, and regardless of ones opinion on the change one must pay a certain amount of respect to the old way and what was lost. Lucind and silence and appreciation, and a draw, but she did not lose herself in any of the sentiments the moment presented and for that Maximos was greatly impressed.

Oh, there would be hesitation. But not because of a shapeless bland fear, but now because of a very real and present threat that she had experienced the shape and form of. And a threat, that doubtless she would face again.

And then he kissed her. And Lucind was understandably cautious in allowing him to drain her, but she would find the arm was very reserved. It was very much like an animal, ferocious in its attack, but once its been fed its docile and obedient. It drained as it was requested to drain, but it did something else. With every drop that it gained, it gave. Maximos was no psychic, he could not transmit his thoughts. He did not know how to manipulate those sorts of mental energies, and yet just as his cursed arm was gifted with the ability to drain the soul, and life, and emotions, it given the ability to give them.

For every controlled bite that Lucind fed it, the arm fed her something back. A taste, just a touch, a sample, of the feeling Maximos had felt looking at her just moments ago. The elation, the happiness, the intimacy of her slightest touch. They were flashes and tastes, and nothing more, giving energy in such a controlled way was not something the Shadow was used to. The effort subtracted a bit of his concentration, and what he lacked was made up during the kiss as the emotions her touch inspired were refreshed.

It was like sharing an image with no outlines. The Siren would not be able to see his thoughts, or see any words or knowledges, but she would see the colors and feelings that the moment brought. She would see the way she made him feel. As her monster had allowed Maximos to see a truer her, Maximos' monster would allow Lucind a window into a truer him.

She would, if she allowed, feel this kiss how it effected him, how it made him. And then as she deepened the kiss another sentiment would squeeze through, albeit accidentally. The idea, that perhaps, this kiss and touch while wholly enjoyable was not the idea remedy he had in mind for curing her bursting energy. Maximos had thought of, but been too shy to suggest another method...which also involved touching, and kissing, that would almost certainly burn up alot of energy...but would also require a certain teapot be removed from her bedroom for privacy sake. Lucind would likely be able to understand why, as the kiss slowly parted, Maximos' cheeks were turning a tad red.  

Maximos
Crew

Dapper Lunatic

Lucind Varhetel

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:14 am
In a way, she did get lost indeed. Lost in each sample of emotion, each visualized memory, each colored sentiment she received from him as she gave bits and pieces of herself. She could taste him, in every way possible. Nothing stood between them in this moment, no veil, no wall of protecting what the other should not see - aside from those areas of Maximos soul that Lucind was not supposed to enter for a wholly different reason, one she respected.
In that moment, the Siren and the Shadow stood naked in front of each other, without shame nor regret.

A tiny smile formed on her lips that lingered for a moment when the kiss broke. Lucind would have lied if she had said that other way of allaying her inner turmoil hadn't crossed her mind. All along, there had been a certain, suggestive undertone in what had been going there. Actually, it appeared only natural to her that, after everything they had shared mentally, the desire to lead it to a different, more physical level stood in the room, no matter where you looked. It was palpable in the thick air, on her moist lips, his red cheeks.

Oh, they would get rid of one Mr. Fletcher. She would take care of that. In fact, when Lu entered her room only some minutes later, he didn't even dared speaking up. The tea pot opened his tiny maul, but closed it in an instant, noticing the change that man and his new owner had gone through within less than an hour. For now, he wasn't keen on stirring that lethal darkness both of them radiated. This time - but only this time -, he was fine with spending a night in the bathroom, stuffed back into his box.

Empty. That was how she felt.

But the good type of emptiness. The one that made you sigh and feel heavy as a stone and sluggish and... Simply good. Damn good.

Lucind did actually breath out slowly and shifted a little, lying sprawled out on her bed, her fingers loosely wrapped around his.

They sure had missed dinner.

Not that she was overly sorry for that, but now that her mind began to work in its normal rythm and her thoughts brushed along her surrounding, the encounter between her and the Vikra popped up in her head. Lucind sucked on her bottom lip while staring up at the ceiling.

"I wonder if...Prishazan knows what I said there." For the moment she forgot that Maximos hadn't been able to understand every word per se when the sylph wanted to stop Lucind's use of the book of knowledge. "Him and his spirit share a very close bond. He could have very well sensed that I'd be ready to...if the Vikra happen to attack me again in an unfortunate moment. I do consider him a good friend. A very good one. But I wouldn't be surprised if he stops trusting me now."

She smiled lightly. Sighed again.

"Are these the prices we have to pay for not lying to ourselves anymore?"  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:55 pm
Proud. Maximos most definitely felt proud. This was not the sort of pride that puffs the chest, or fills a hat with feathers or earns a man any amount of swift pats on the back...no. This was the honest and silent sense of accomplishment. Maximos had accomplished something to day.

Maximos felt he had truly accomplished something with Lucind. And no, by that he did not mean that he had accomplished Lucind. But below, he had truly helped her open her eyes. He felt a pride similar to that day outside of his suite, standing in a diamond dust of shattered glass as the Siren, as his Siren approached. Today, was like that day, a bit smaller perhaps but just as deep. Lucind was a new person. And laying on his side, he took in that person. His mismatched eyes passing softly over the outline of her form encasing the new shape of her soul.

His eyes did not glow tonight, black and white wet orbs softly reflected what little illumination there was and ran twin paths up Lucind, and then down her arm to where their hands loosely met. Maximos smiled, a soft innocent smile. The Shadow, was content. Here in bed beside her, he was at peace. He was happy. And while they could not lie here forever, that did nothing to diminish the value of the moment.

The only thing that might have diminished it was whatever had caused the mote of concern in the woman beside him. And yet he waited patiently for her to share it. When she spoke, his eyes did not dart to her face but rather ran softly up her arm, across her shoulders and neck and then rest on her own. He listened, but did not speak not until she posed her question. It was an honest concern, and losing the monk would have been a sad thing but...Maximos' smile did not fade not even in sympathetic concern. Instead, he just responded.

"No." His voice warm and reassuring, and yet definite. The complete lack of doubt in his words making itself known. "There is no price to pay for being true to yourself."

His fingers tightened a bit around. He was laying on his side with his head propped up on his arm, but for a moment he slipped his hand away from his cheek and ran his finger gently along hers. "There is a scripture written in a human holy tome that says, 'The truth will set you free'. I've found these words are absolutely true."

"In truth we free ourselves not only from our own self-defined confinements, but from those of others. Anyone who claims to value you, my dear, in any regard must come to know and accept you as you truly are. Savior. Sinner. Siren."

With each word he tapped one finger against her hand, as his hand slid back to his cheek supporting his head. "If Prishazan cannot trust you, as you truly are, then you are better off without his trust. Better to be truly untrusted, then for him to trust a lie and suffer when he relies on the image of a person that does not truly exist. Better you cope with the idea of being considered a danger, than hide and be an actual danger to yourself and others."

Lucind had seen what she was capable of earlier. What if that broke loose? What if she had never seen its true face and then it bucked and broke her fragile control? More would suffer. It was at this point however that Maximos realized he was becoming entirely too wordy and contented himself with pulling her hand to his and kissing the back of it softly. Enough talk of monsters for one day.

And then his stomach growled like some sort of ferocious beast, and in the darkness the Shadow was glad his embarrassed face was mostly invisible.  

Maximos
Crew

Dapper Lunatic

Lucind Varhetel

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:09 am
She didn't turn her head when he spoke up, but just the soft, yet firm sound of his voice made that frown vanish as it washed over her body and mind.

"In truth we free ourselves not only from our own self-defined confinements, but from those of others. Anyone who claims to value you, my dear, in any regard must come to know and accept you as you truly are. Savior. Sinner. Siren."

In a whisper barely audible, Lucind repeated the last three words. "That would make a nice slogan", she mumbled.

"If Prishazan cannot trust you, as you truly are, then you are better off without his trust. Better to be truly untrusted, then for him to trust a lie and suffer when he relies on the image of a person that does not truly exist. Better you cope with the idea of being considered a danger, than hide and be an actual danger to yourself and others."

He was right, she knew that. Maybe she just yet had to get used to the logics and 'rules' of the path she was now walking on. Would she see any difference if she looked at herself now? When she finally turned her head, she looked at him in silence, letting herself drift on the expression in his eyes. It was one of those moments where you forgot to feel time, forget its concept - you just are. It was one thing to find enlightenment within yourself, to come to full calmness and rest by acknowledging yourself for what you were, to experience yourself as a source of strength, the strength to create and destroy, to be happy and content, just on your own, by your own. Starting to explore the world from this point of view brought new options. Actually, it changed the way you looked at everything and everybody. Even love wasn't what it was before. The world became deeper, life more overwhelming, existence more senseless, brutal and overwhelmingly full of raw energy. And when you came to look into life's abyss, you either break - or go on, reborn, in a sense and equipped with the will to go on, despite what you've seen. It did not make you invincible, or immune at whatever daily life could throw at you, but for all times, you had created a place within yourself where you could return to and remember what it meant again, finding peace in yourself. Living to the fullest.

However, sharing yourself with another person brought a tranquility you just could not reach on your own. It was solace, understanding without words, seeing through each other. And at the same time - and Lucind got the distinct idea that it was just the reason why both of them felt the way they felt right then and there - each of them stood on his own two feet. They thought for themselves. They had their own opinions. And from there, they were able to create something new and incredible. Nothing less than their own reality. A shared world.

She wanted to say something, but felt that "Thank you", "How do you always find the right words" or "I love you", simply didn't do it in this moment. Therefore, she continued looking at him, until she rolled around to lie on her stomach, stretching to softly kiss his lips, then his chin, then the crook of his neck, where she would rest eventually.

And then his stomach growled like some sort of ferocious beast, and in the darkness the Shadow was glad his embarrassed face was mostly invisible.
Lu's whole body trembled when she tried to hold in her laughter, but she failed horribly and giggled against his shoulder.
"Shouldn't you ask me before inviting somebody else into my bed?" But she couldn't deny that by now, she was extremely hungry herself. Therefore, after another kiss and another grin, the Siren got up and began to collect her clothes, the location of a few of which made her wonder how they got there - she honestly couldn't remember.
For a moment, she stopped in front of the mirror. Was it visible, the change? She smiled and went on to search for her socks.

It had gotten chilly outside, but the fresh wind on her face made her purr in pleasure. She stretched her senses and found out that, aside from Prishazan, nobody else of the crew was present. Even more so, the monk was in the kitchen - exactly the place she was headed at. Lucind went on, however, and greeted the bald man with a simply, "Hey".

"Hello, Lucind." He nodded at her as he always did and went back to cutting cucumber, squash and fruits, mixing them in a bowl and adding some herbs and nuts.

The Siren peeked into the fridge and found that there was some fish left, as well as stir-fried vegetables. "Is it okay if I take the left-overs?"

"Of course."

"Thanks." Lucind stared at the tattooed back of his head for a few seconds, then proceeded to take plate and bowl out of the fridge and put them on a tray, together with forks and knives and glasses. "I'm sorry we didn't joined you for dinner. We...ah...well, we were busy." She knew herself how weak of an explanation that was, and she wasn't absolutely sure but...had that been a tiny grin on the monk's lips? The Siren didn't receive rejection or any related emotion coming from him, but she admittedly felt a little nervous nonetheless, despite the truth she knew had been in Maximos' words. Should she simply ask? Lu sighed inside. She had never been good with this.

Without noticing, she had already turned towards the door, when Prishazan asked her to wait - and placed a portion of the salad he had just made onto the tray she was holding.
"There you go. Tagis ate the first round, everything to the last bit." He looked at her in his, so she found, unique way, where softness mixed with a sense of age, wisdom and steadfastness, that ever so often made her feel incredibly young, if not childish. "They've announced heavy storms for the late afternoon tomorrow. So I'd say we shouldn't start too late."

She held his gaze. Nodded. And smiled. "Alright. - And thank you."

And Prishazan smiled back. "It's just a bit of salad. Not worth mentioning."

That smile still hadn't fully died when she walked back into her room, now carrying an overfull tray that also held a carafe of light white wine.
The Siren looked over her shoulder at the Shadow after putting down everything on the table.

"We're setting sails around eight tomorrow."  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:22 am
She knew, and he knew she did. If Maximos could be said to have a talent in these sort of things, that talent did not lie in teaching, or bringing to life new and unexplored realizations. Maximos' only ability, as far as he could see it, was to put words to what someone already knew letting them see it once again. If his words had weight, that was simply because the sentiments they described had weight before language brought them to the foreground. If Lucind didnt know at the very least at some core level, then there was likely no reason to tell her, she would not be ready to understand. And yet, she did. And seeing the smile on her face only filled his heart with warmth and made his chest tight with an emotion he simply failed at being able to express. No smile seemed wide enough, no kiss deep enough, no embrace long enough.

Love, at its core, is selfless. But in order to give away self, to put self out of the equation you must first have a self. That was what made this so very beautiful. Lucind was a stand alone creature. She could survive on her own. She loved him and at a level needed him, but no so much that her life depended on it like some sort of vicious drug. When love becomes dependency it becomes a habit, and stops being a relationship. In Lucind, Maximos found a companion, a friend, a match. They could walk together, neither entirely leaning on the other, both capable of helping each other. It was beautiful. Every part of him yearned to express the feeling, and yet had no tools. Like a painter without a brush or paints, just a canvas and an idea. The words escaped him.

And then she kissed him. A kiss, a lovely trick designed by nature for when words become utterly superfluous. And then there was another, and then another, and Maximos smiled ear to ear. This, was a perfect moment. And then his stomach roared, and the moment was gone. Lu's whole body trembled and then she was giggling and Max's cheeks were so red he was likely just a few shades from actually glowing.

"Shouldn't you ask me before inviting somebody else into my bed?"
"I..I..." He stuttered for a response and felt his arms twitch at his side. His arm, his monster, his hunger. It was an automatic connection. He lift the hand, his fingers wiggling and said, "But, you didnt seem to mind a few moments ago..."

Yet Maximos seemed completely oblivious as how that comment could, and might be taken. All further words of explanation were cut off with a kiss, and a grin, and the Siren moving to dress herself. Understandably, from a strictly male point of view putting clothing on was not as enjoyable as the reverse and so even though the look on her face when she eventually found her socks made him smile, Maximos leaned back placing his arms behind his head and simply stared up at the ceiling clothed in his sheet.

After a few moments the Siren slipped away and the Shadow was left alone with the darkness, and his thoughts. Part of him felt wonderful, and yet at the same time part of him felt more guilty than he had words for. He was enjoying himself, he was happy. And yet what had life taught him about happiness and its costs? He was helping Lucind be free...or was he simply corrupting an innocent so that he did not feel so damned alone? He was happy here, he liked it here...and yet he had promised to much to another world. Promises, that had never advanced. What right did he have to be happy when he lived his life removing life from so many others and robbing them of their happiness? The questions, and their answers did not change his mood so much as they caused him to question how he felt about his good mood. He was doubtful as to what side of the alignment he now fell on. If any.

When Lucind returned, she would find Maximos with his arms neatly folded behind his back, standing by a porthole and staring out into the moonlight. He had returned his pants, and socks, and his belt to hold his pants but had left his shirt, jacket, vest, and tie, laying over a chair beside the bed. Silver light played over the swirls, curls, and lines of his tattoos bringing out the contrast between them and his bone white skin. As she entered, he seemed to snap out of a reverie and turn to her wearing a simple smile. Of course, she was smiling too but...it was different.

"Oh my, you've out done yourself," That smile..."...did I miss something funny?" He said with a c**k of his head as he approached her and began pulling items from the tray, not to eat, but so as to move the tray from "overfull" to just "full". Not knowing the layout of the room as well as he might of liked, he simply followed a few steps behind her. The Siren looked over her shoulder at the Shadow after putting down everything on the table.

"We're setting sails around eight tomorrow." Maximos nodded, placing the extra items on the table around the tray and cheerily said, "Excellent. I would assume your going to sleep then after this?"  

Maximos
Crew

Dapper Lunatic

Lucind Varhetel

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:15 am
Watching the moon light washing over his skin, coaxing the dark pattern that ran all over his torso and arms to stand out, get a life of its own - she felt the urge to walk over and trace those intricate lines with her finger to find out what stories they could tell her. But the heavily loaded tray in her hands made that impossible, and so she stuck to taking in this picture which somewhere in the back of her mind struck a bitter-sweet tone, as if her cleared and sharpened senses reflected the Shadow's mood more than they had before.
Strange enough, seeing Maximos like this reminded the Siren of her clan. How they had come together to sing and dance (Lucind had usually skipped the dancing part), using shalms, lute like instruments and drums. Often enough, they would perform all night through. All this seemed so far away. It could be brought back, Lucind knew, but even over a year after the rebirth, the Siren world hadn't come back to its old order - or rather, found a new one. Most had to deal with the challenges this immense change had brought to their soul before they could think of reforming in clans. Also, it was yet to be seen if the installation of the new lhor aven would bring them back into the world: Even if living a "normal" life in some city or town was not necessarily what would work out flawlessly for a Siren, the mothers had hoped that by resetting their world, having everybody start anew with the same qualifications would unite their children in a way that made them more open, more sensitive for what was going on around, outside the borders of the Siren society.

Her old clan didn't exist anymore, at least not in its old form. Her aunt and some others had joined a group of Ilh Sirens, but everybody kept their old name as far as Lucind knew. What was a name? Only something to identify your outer appearance? For most Sirens it was more, since their last name showed which of the First Five they prayed to - Brinen, Yellen, Odenai, Ilh or Var -, whereas the second part consisted of the name of the current clan leader. Varhetel. It never appeared to Lucind to get rid of that name. Even though, if asked, she wouldn't be able to give a good reason. Maybe it was her way to show belonging to her people, especially since she had always had a special position amongst them (and there were still enough that wished her ill or dead for playing the main role in initiating the change).
And now, Lu thought, she had again driven a wedge between her and the others. On the other hand, what if that, knowing about the inner monster, was the last key to free all Sirens? Also, Lucind couldn't quite believe she was the only one who had undertaken this process...

Her eyes wandered up from the Shadow's shoulder to his face when he turned around, and only him asking about her smile made her realize she actually was still smiling. "I...uh..." Even though the impression his moon lit frame had elicited had lasted not longer than a second or two, it took her another to process the question.
"I just met Prishazan in the kitchen. And...what should I say. All is well. I almost feel a bit guilty for half expecting him to leave. - He cooked all this, by the way."

They sat down at the same table from where the dragon teapot had thrown his impolite remarks at them earlier that day. It was the only table in this room offering enough space for two people having dinner.

"We're setting sails around eight tomorrow." Maximos nodded, placing the extra items on the table around the tray and cheerily said, "Excellent. I would assume you're going to sleep then after this?"

"And I thought my company was pleasing you", the Siren said between two bites, her eyes taking over to grin softly while her mouth was too busy to. "But now it seems you can't get off board soon enough." Her head fell forwards and she sighed dramatically, before she went on to phrase a serious answer. "Maybe not directly. But I know my bed will have me back soon tonight." She was tired indeed. No surprise after what had happened on this ship within not too many hours.

Before she went for a second helping, Lucind got up to get them some water along with the wine. When she returned from the back of the room with two filled glasses and set those next to their plates, the Siren waited with sitting back down and instead turned towards Maximos. She couldn't fully tell what drove her to do so, when one of her hand rose to cup the side of his face, a mild frown wrinkling the skin of her forehead.
Her thumb went to gently brush over his cheek and cheek bone, then travelled up to trace a line from the spot between his eyes along the area above his brow. Finally, her frown turned into a smile, that kind of smile that stood for inner contentment, despite the clouds that always seemed to wait for attention, somewhere in your head.

What is eternity? Isn't it to be found in moments like this, and not somewhere in the future, unreachable? What a weird concept, giving hope to many, even though it was a term as vague and relative as freedom or justice.

She leaned down to kiss his temple, waiting a moment before straightening.

Once more, she was lost for words. And for once, it made her blush.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:33 am
"I...uh..." That smile. There was, whatever had caused her smile originally, but there was this certain look in her eyes when the expression on her face was being caused by him, and yet not by anything he said or did. This, as always, made the Shadow flush red and yet thankfully the light pouring in from outside fell in just a way that the shadows dance along his face in an attempt to vaguely hide the embarrassment. His eyes immediately fell to the table, and the food on it.

"I just met Prishazan in the kitchen." His ears perked, and despite his embarrassment he turned to face her square on. She was smiling, but there was always a chance he had misread... "And...what should I say. All is well. I almost feel a bit guilty for half expecting him to leave."

Max chuckled and nodded approvingly. "I'll admit, I had my doubts. That man is so stoic, so absolute sometimes that I wondered if his convictions gave him any room for variation. I have to give him more credit."

" - He cooked all this, by the way." Mismatched eyes widened. "Alot more credit."

And then they were seated. Max found himself swallowing alot more than usual even before he ate, in anticipation of what was to come. He had all but forgotten the dragon teapot from earlier. Out of sight, out of mind. And while the table was small, it was also cozy, it made the dinner seem more intimate and thusly he liked it.

"We're setting sails around eight tomorrow." Maximos nodded, placing the extra items on the table around the tray and cheerily said, "Excellent. I would assume you're going to sleep then after this?"

"And I thought my company was pleasing you", Maximos' eyes snapped open wide lifting from his plate. That wasnt what he meant! But her eyes were smiling a smile that moved to his lips. "But now it seems you can't get off board soon enough." Her head fell forwards and she sighed dramatically, Max placed a hand over his chest and gasped in an equally dramatic show of apology.

"Maybe not directly. But I know my bed will have me back soon tonight." She was tired indeed. He saw it in her eyes, and she would need the rest for tomorrow. Maximos nodded, still smiling and then replied. "Excellent. I've had all the sleep I can, but I have a few projects that need doing for my shop."

His eyes wandered up and to the side, as if visually recounting the projects. However many he remembered, he knew their were more. "I would hate to go, I was wondering if perhaps after you retire for the evening if I could stay and perhaps work..." He gestured to the table. "...here. I promise I wont disturb you. You wouldnt even know I was here...unless you wanted to."

--

Lucind was off for a second, while Maximos finished his second. The Siren returned a few moments later with two filled glasses of water. Maximos, found himself silently amazed. Wine, water, and a freshly prepared meal such as this...in his day, these were things that befit royalty. And yet here they enjoyed them as a midnight snack. It made him smirk, and remember a simpler, older time. And yet, made him appreciate the modern era that much more. Because for all of its greatness, Aria never had her and...

She was touching him. Nothing so odd about that, save of the fact he hadnt expected it. Her soft hand cupped his cheek, Maximos' mismatched eyes found hers and he smiled softly. But then she frowned, and concern flashed over his features. The frown was as unexpected as the touch, only a frown was never good. The concern diminished as her thumb traced across his face, but never faded. And then her smile returned. He let out a pleased hum when she kissed him, but as she pulled away his eyes fell on hers again.

She was blushing for once, and seeing the tables turned brought a small laugh out of him, yet still just to be sure, he said. "Is everything okay?"  

Maximos
Crew

Dapper Lunatic

Lucind Varhetel

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:52 pm
Max chuckled and nodded approvingly. "I'll admit, I had my doubts. That man is so stoic, so absolute sometimes that I wondered if his convictions gave him any room for variation. I have to give him more credit."

" - He cooked all this, by the way." Mismatched eyes widened. "Alot more credit."

"Well..." She grinned. "Even for me it often becomes difficult to see what is going on behind that composed face of his. I'd say it's the sea that made him like this, wearing a protection against the rough, mercilessness world out there, inside and out. I guess it sounds weird for a Siren to say that, but I couldn't imagine living on the water. Forever. I'm excited to have this new possibility to lay my hands on wonderful, unique books, but...I need a port. A place I can always return to."

While phrasing her last words, the woman was already setting everything down on the table.
Then they were seated, and while the table was small, it was also cozy, it made the dinner seem more intimate and thusly he liked it.

"And I thought my company was pleasing you", Maximos' eyes snapped open wide lifting from his plate. That wasnt what he meant! But her eyes were smiling a smile that moved to his lips. "But now it seems you can't get off board soon enough." Her head fell forwards and she sighed dramatically, Max placed a hand over his chest and gasped in an equally dramatic show of apology, which made her laugh quietly.

"Maybe not directly. But I know my bed will have me back soon tonight." She was tired indeed. He saw it in her eyes, and she would need the rest for tomorrow. Maximos nodded, still smiling and then replied. "Excellent. I've had all the sleep I can, but I have a few projects that need doing for my shop."

His eyes wandered up and to the side, as if visually recounting the projects. However many he remembered, he knew their were more.
She always liked imagining him in his store, be it behind the curtains or in front of them, busy with trinkets and gimmicks and the most astonishing objects. Lucind was fascinated everytime anew she stopped by, and usually she made sure to have half an hour extra to be able to wander from shelf to shelf, from one showcase to the next, running her eyes over each object. She loved that place, because even in a world like this, with magic abundant in every corner, Maximos' store was something special. It bore his personality, his character. Lucind prefered those quiet moments when the sunlight bathed the room in shades of orange and brown, and made metal, gems and jewels shine. Then she would try to imagine how each piece had come to be, what expression the Shadow had had on his face. Had he been relaxed, or highly concentrated? Had this or that object given him a hard time - had it made him swear under his breath? And what had he looked like once it had been accomplished?

"I would hate to go, I was wondering if perhaps after you retire for the evening if I could stay and perhaps work..." He gestured to the table. "...here. I promise I won't disturb you. You wouldn't even know I was here...unless you wanted to."

"I...would love that." She lowered her fork. "Very much so." Her eyes gleamed with content at the idea of what seemed to be the perfect ending for this day. "And you don't have to be completely silent. Actually, I think I'd love hearing you work." The fork found its way to her mouth, delivering a bite of fish. She chewed, swallowed, smiled. "Don't be afraid of waking me up. Nothing will keep me from sleep tonight."

And then, some time later, she found herself touching him after getting them some water. Driven by impulse and intuition, she had trouble assessing her own action. Her soft hand cupped his cheek, Maximos' mismatched eyes found hers and he smiled softly. But then she frowned, and concern flashed over his features. The frown was as unexpected as the touch, only a frown was never good. The concern diminished as her thumb traced across his face, but never faded. And then her smile returned. He let out a pleased hum when she kissed him, but as she pulled away his eyes fell on hers again.

She was blushing for once, and seeing the tables turned brought a small laugh out of him, yet still just to be sure, he said. "Is everything okay?"

For another second, Lucind stared at him, before it bursted out of her:

"I'll be there."

It made her blush even more, since she knew how sappy, movie like it sounded. But it was the first articulated thought she was able to make of all those sentiments swirling inside her head. The Siren blamed the strain of this day that her emotions bubbled like this, breaking the surface unhindered. It urged to be spoken, that wave of thoughts.

"I know that this here", she gestured at the width of the room, "it will give us less time to spend together. But with the teleporting ability - or whatever it is that Prishazan's sylph gives us, I don't expect us to be away for longer than a few days in a row...gonna be more here and there, of course...but..."

She sat down, brushing her hair behind her ear. Why did she have to go over this again now? They had had a similar conversation months ago. Not that she meant her words less back then, but this week they had obtained a different weight. Despite realizing that the magic and treasure in their relationship lay in their individual independence and freedom that made them able to enjoy each other to the fullest, in every respect, and in the same way rest in oneself... Despite all that something had urged her to say it again, even though she knew that, after what had happened earlier, it wasn't necessary at all.

Later on, when she undressed to change into a dark blue gown and a matching bath robe, every part of her body she exposed was befalled with iron sleepiness, making her longing to crawl under the blankets. But she first visited the bathroom to get ready for the night. From the box on the floor, the soft noise of snoring rose, and it actually surprised Lucind to find the teapot asleep. Even a whispered, "Hey Fletcher, I just sold you to Maximos", didn't stir any reaction. Therefore she doubted he was pulling an act.

When she finally stretched out with a hearty yawn, she knew she wouldn't be able to count till ten before sleep had taken her. Soon enough, her breath came deep and even, and eyeballs started moving behind closed lids - those phases wouldn't last as long as they usually did, but even at such level of exhaustion, her mind didn't stop working.

The next day, the Feiruza left Latent's Docks at ten past eight, slowly guided by mechanical means. After a quick breakfast, Lucind had begun to explain Max the different types of sails, when and in what way they were used, so that both of them could help the group of seamen setting the sails once they had reached the entrance area of the port. The Siren noticed that one of the sailors was new to the group, and she got the distinct feeling that her doing on the previous afternoon had something to do with that.

Either way, she was looking forward to a short trip to the open sea - her whole being radiated anticipation.

"Oh, by the way", she addressed the Shadow, while wrapping a scarf around her head to knot it in the back of her neck. "I fear I mentioned to Tagis at some point what happened the last time you took over the steering of a sailing ship." Lucind turned towards him, grinning almost apologetically. "I wouldn't expect her to invite you into the control cabin any time soon." There was still a second steering wheel up on the bridge above the floor holding kitchen, conference room and Tagis' area.
"Or up there", she added quickly.  
Gaia

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces