Reply Philosophy Threads
Embrace the Horror

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Lord Of The Forest

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:14 pm
A bit melodramatic. The article contains some vulgar language and circumstances.

Embrace the Horror

Okay, so if you read above link, its obvious David Wong presents multiple points worth talking about. Since this is the Philosophy Sub-Forum, I'd rather not we get into the GSM (Giant Spaghetti Monster) and other religious talk. Along with the discovery made by Werner Heisenburg (or rather his apprentice.), Wong also takes the thought of quality into consideration, explaining that both that quality and opinions are all apart of the same device, chemical reactions occuring inside the brain determined by a genetic blueprint. This thought of things being 'better' or 'worse' based on opinions are nulled. Saying that, in fact, everything that has exhisted, including thoughts emotions and events, was devised by fate.

Thoughts, comments, flames?  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:24 am
It was a beautiful find to show possible reason why everything is predestined on a certain level. While everything may be predestined if that is the case, we can rest peacefully knowing that nothing known by a single being on this plain of reality or in the "after life".
(logic would have to point out that if every thing is predestined, then this so called test that "god" puts us through is completely pointless since we are already determined at the beginning of time if we make it to eternal salvation or damnation. If "god is truly as omnipotent as he is supposed to be, them heshould already know if we pass or fail. So he may as well cut the crap.
Seeing as how we are still here and you are still reading this, he didn't anything new. This only proves the point that if everything is predestined, then there is no heaven.)
What I got from this is that if everything is made out of the same stuff. If that is so then there are few things to consider:

1. The soul doesn't exist. Awareness of things come about because the amount of the amount of matter in a brain, allowing more firings in the brain to happen. While we think that there is a heaven for us while the water, plants and concrete get nothing even though we are all made out of the same thing at the end of the day. That's very very very very selfish if you ask me. (I would put my money on this one)

2. Everything has a soul. When we brake resources down, we then wonder what happens to the soul does it follow? When our body becomes severe if completely damaged, we die. Our soul leaves our body to go drink beer and have sex with as many prostitutes as it may desire or whatever. Do the souls of rocks go to a place of salvation or return to the Earth as grass or something instead of just stop existing? YOU BETTER BELIEVE IT! ( I highly doubt this theory because it sounds just too damn complicated and planned out, which is not my understanding of the universe)

3. Somethings have a soul. Somethings having a soul while others don't? Can't identify what the soul is and what possesses one? Sounds like dualism to me! ( I doubt this one too since I just don't see much reason to settle for dualism when we can try to dive deeper into the question instead of just saying that we will never understand it)  

Skanky Randy

Niniva

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:47 am
Skanky Randy
It was a beautiful find to show possible reason why everything is predestined on a certain level. While everything may be predestined if that is the case, we can rest peacefully knowing that nothing known by a single being on this plain of reality or in the "after life".
(logic would have to point out that if every thing is predestined, then this so called test that "god" puts us through is completely pointless since we are already determined at the beginning of time if we make it to eternal salvation or damnation. If "god is truly as omnipotent as he is supposed to be, them heshould already know if we pass or fail. So he may as well cut the crap.
Seeing as how we are still here and you are still reading this, he didn't anything new. This only proves the point that if everything is predestined, then there is no heaven.)
What I got from this is that if everything is made out of the same stuff. If that is so then there are few things to consider:

1. The soul doesn't exist. Awareness of things come about because the amount of the amount of matter in a brain, allowing more firings in the brain to happen. While we think that there is a heaven for us while the water, plants and concrete get nothing even though we are all made out of the same thing at the end of the day. That's very very very very selfish if you ask me. (I would put my money on this one)

2. Everything has a soul. When we brake resources down, we then wonder what happens to the soul does it follow? When our body becomes severe if completely damaged, we die. Our soul leaves our body to go drink beer and have sex with as many prostitutes as it may desire or whatever. Do the souls of rocks go to a place of salvation or return to the Earth as grass or something instead of just stop existing? YOU BETTER BELIEVE IT! ( I highly doubt this theory because it sounds just too damn complicated and planned out, which is not my understanding of the universe)

3. Somethings have a soul. Somethings having a soul while others don't? Can't identify what the soul is and what possesses one? Sounds like dualism to me! ( I doubt this one too since I just don't see much reason to settle for dualism when we can try to dive deeper into the question instead of just saying that we will never understand it)

You sure do make a lot of assumptions in these suggestions. First of all, the idea of a soul seems to be a total foreign idea to you. It's almost as though you misunderstand it directly from the beginning.

But what you are essentially inquiring about (and it seems expressing doubts about) is just a single question to which you seem to have wasted so much typing space answering in only three ways when there are many MANY different ways to answer it, lots of which do not involve duelism...or fate...or the soul...or physicalism....or naturalism....or whatever. Pick your poison when it comes down to it you (and everyone else out there in the world) will be trying to answer the same question.

Do metaphysical objects that are not physical in nature actually exist.

If yes, then God might exist, and so might a mind that is not the brain, and so might angels and demons and the soul and everything else in the supernatural....

If no...then this is very dismal. No God....no supernatural...no mind...just brain...no soul just matter....nothing ESSENTIAL accept particles...particles which are essentially made of the same stuff put together in random patterns made from the chaotic nature of quantum physics.

The answer to this question is STILL up in the air in spite of anyone's opinion about it or not. It is AS absurd to say the question is answered as it is to say you have some sort of proof for the answer. Saying there is no soul "because" it can't be proven is self defeating because it calls to the idea that all things which exist and are true must also have solid epirical proof....however....where is the empiricle proof for that statement's truth? Well there is none thus it is self defeating...not to mention counterintuitive to even think that evidence for something not being the case is found in the lack of evidence of it's existance is equally absurd.

In any case the three options you stated are options but they are not the ONLY options....no matter what the options however everything boils down to this question.  
Philosophy Threads

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games