Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Anaxes II

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:26 pm
the  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:42 pm
Me too my heritage is french (from France) I'm french, but from Canada and if you know a little the Canada the stereotype is that everyone has a beaver on his head and leave in a wood house. So don't pay attention to the stereotype, because if you think a little bit to be French and Canadian is just impossible (is to contradictory to be).

P.S.: Maybe I didn't answer to your question, I'm don't sure that I understand it.  

Kurosaki Asami
Captain

Dangerous Lunatic

9,350 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Super Tipsy 200

Anaxes II

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:05 pm
Kurosaki Asami
Me too my heritage is french (from France) I'm french, but from Canada and if you know a little the Canada the stereotype is that everyone has a beaver on his head and leave in a wood house. So don't pay attention to the stereotype, because if you think a little bit to be French and Canadian is just impossible (is to contradictory to be).

P.S.: Maybe I didn't answer to your question, I'm don't sure that I understand it.

Simple: By my experience, the stereotype is unfortunately true. How do I deal with it? What behavior/etiquette modifications can I make in order to improve my success?  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:18 pm
Actually, reading you, it seems your main problem is you have the wrong approach.

Sounds like when you see a French, you think "hey, that's a French, must be elegant, creative, intelligent, etc., so let's try to be friend!"

If that's really the way you're thinking, you can only fail, and not only with French people. Strangers aren't zoo animals. You just can't be friend with anyone at will, and it's even harder when you don't consider the other as an individual.

Let's take the examples of your teachers.

First, your French teacher. She's a b***h, granted, almost all the French teachers I had were. Why trying to be friendly? That's really not in the French culture, the teacher is there to teach, not to be your friend. Sometimes, some teachers are friendly, but it's either their personality or a compatibility of character. French teachers usually only want their pupils or students to work, not to be friendly. If you have good results and she's still more hostile than neutral, then she's probably just a b***h, that happens, don't bother.

Second, you dance teacher. First of all, I don't really understand why you want a dance teacher to have humor, it isn't his job. You say he's a terrible teacher and never smiles, but did he have any good reason to be happy? Not only such teachers are usually extremely demanding, so you may actually never meet their expectations even with hard work, but it's probably even more annoying for a professional to see his pupils or students make some jokes when they don't even manage to get results. It's a discipline, you should never be distracted.

About your friend, well she was maybe elitist, maybe not. French people who live out of France usually tend to be (including your teachers), they seem to believe getting out of this country is a social achievement. I'm not sure of how other people see it, but to me, evaluating people's strengths and weaknesses doesn't mean you despise them, and doing the opposite is probably considered hypocritical.
You wrote "she showed a big snotty attitude towards the rest of my friends and I didn't like that at all", did you tell her?

Well, anyway, about your question about etiquette and such, it's hard to answer without knowing your own habits and manners.

Do you have any idea of what you could have done to displease the people you met?

At least, for teachers, now you know. Teachers in and from France aren't friends, and they aren't there to hear your jokes.

The cultural gap is huge, don't underestimate it.

Quote:
the stereotype is that everyone has a beaver on his head and leave in a wood house

Et aussi que vous mangez de l'orignal aux bleuets en écoutant Céline Dion après avoir coupé des arbres à la hâche dans vos chemises rouges et noires à carreaux en criant "tabarnac" toutes les deux minutes. Le plus grand mystère pour nous, c'est votre connexion internet, depuis quand ça se fait par pigeons voyageurs ? xd
Faut pas mal le prendre, c'est juste pour vous taquiner rofl  

SpirituInsanum

deathscythe06
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:03 pm
SpirituInsanum

Et aussi que vous mangez de l'orignal aux bleuets en écoutant Céline Dion après avoir coupé des arbres à la hâche dans vos chemises rouges et noires à carreaux en criant "tabarnac" toutes les deux minutes. Le plus grand mystère pour nous, c'est votre connexion internet, depuis quand ça se fait par pigeons voyageurs ? xd
Faut pas mal le prendre, c'est juste pour vous taquiner rofl

Je n'étais pas au courant de ça, c'est interessant. Pour ce qui est du "tabarnac" pour certain c'est en fait au 2-3 mots. Pour internet, ce ne sont pas des pigeons voyageurs mais des mouettes (goéland) fraichement nourries de restant de McDonald qui s'occupe de la connexion.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:44 pm
J'ai écouté qu'en France, c'est impolie pour n'ajouter pas un titre en s'addressant un autre personne.

Au Québec, ce n'est pas très nécessaire. N'est-ce pas?

Correctez ma phrase, s'il vous plait. Merci!  

Fullmoon_Sagashite123

Kurosaki Asami
Captain

Dangerous Lunatic

9,350 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Super Tipsy 200
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:45 am
Fullmoon_Twilight123
J'ai su qu'en France, c'est impolie de ne pas ajouter un titre en s'adressant à une autre personne.

Au Québec, ce n'est pas nécessaire. N'est-ce pas?

Corrigez ma phrase, s'il vous plait. Merci!

Je ne sais pas pour la France, mais au Québec, il est évidement que ça dépend de la personne à qui tu t'adresses. Tu dois tout de même faire preuve de savoir vivre.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:36 am
Les français aussi ont des préjugés sur le dos. Les anglais nous traitent de "mangeurs de grenouilles" et son fâchés contre nous depuis l'histoire de Degaulle et "Vive le Québec libre !"
Est-ce que vous pensez vraiment que nous avons tous un béret et une baguette de pain sous le bras ?  

Emillie Wolf

Emillie Wolf

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:40 am
Fullmoon_Sagashite123
J'ai écouté qu'en France, c'est impolie pour n'ajouter pas un titre en s'addressant un autre personne.

Au Québec, ce n'est pas très nécessaire. N'est-ce pas?

Correctez ma phrase, s'il vous plait. Merci!

C'est impoli pour une personne que tu ne connais pas. Par exemple, si ton directeur s'appelle François Montchéry, tu ne dois pas l'appeller "François" ni "Montchéry", mais "Monsieur Montchéry".  
Gaia French School (General)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games