Reply Depression
Less than Perfect

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Hakuna Smiles`

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:19 pm
First of all, i'm not 100% this belongs here, but I can't see it fitting anywhere else... So here goes.

I'm 13 years old. In secondary school. 8th grade (year 9 to the english).

I've always been brainy. Competitive academically. And I've been feeling weird lately. I suppose the way to describe it is that I don't feel good enough. Not to my teachers and family, but for myself. Even if I perform averagely, or even well. I put myself down, tell myself I can, and must do better. I have been close to tears over a bad test result!

Please respond with any help you can offer on bad self esteem.

Yours, thankfully,

Alex

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:13 pm
Okay ive had this ... but this was with homeowrk for me ^^

not to sounds arrogant but ill just tell you a lil story ^^

Okay i tried for perfection in Maths ... when we got homework i did it ON TIME and as good as i could ... anyway one day i tried REALLY hard on this one piece ... but i mixed it up and did the wrong something O_o anyway i was like O______________O and then like you wanted to do BETTER and worked myself up in such a fit of desperation i did even worse -.- .... then it just got worse.

This is i think how you are, stuck in a cycle and of course you need to get out of it!

Okay look if your admitting that your brainy and smart, etc then you KNOW yourself that you can do the work its just MENTALLY your blocking that out when you sit down to do it since you keep thinking i bet " oh s**t what if i dont do as good like last time O_o " ... or something like that ... if your not thinknig it i bet your sub conciesly thinking it.

Right anyway all you got to do is tell your self " your smart, you can do it, unlike the rest of these dumbass's in here " ^^ or think of something funny to add to the end to make you smile and relax. I only learned this is college O_o ... if you STILL feel like you wont be able to do it then do some revision the night before, even if its only for 10 minutes, ( ask the teacher if you have to what your revising the next lesson ) , then you can feel calm that youve done some revision already! ... also try going to bed earlier ( i suggest 8-9 hours of sleep , too little and im tired AS ... too much and i dont wanna get up so am annoyed for the rest of the day i did! ) ... hopefully this will help.

ALSO if you DO get a bad test or homework or work WHATEVER just think that that was a f*** up and you can now learn from it ! making mistakes in life is human nature. It would be weird if we didnt make mistakes ... plus you can learn from them ^^

If this problem keeps happening id suggest seeing your Schools Counsellor or a GP ... or even your schools nurse if they dont have a counsellor.

Hope this helps ^^

Jon x

Edit: also your 13 years old!!!! dont worry you still have another near 1 and a half YEARS! till the BIG exams ... enjoy yourself ( remeber to revise those ^^ )

Trinco
Vice Captain

Hakuna Smiles`

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:09 pm
Thanks.

Wow - you're solving everything today.

I think you're right, it is a kind of cycle. And I've always been given the role of 'the smart one', and it's living up to expectations. Maths is probably the one subject I don't have these problems in (my teacher took my rainbows group when I was six years old, and knows what I'm like, so I'm more relaxed) but it was nice to hear your little anecdote. And I actually did the same thing - after a series of nines and tens, I got a zero. O______O

I know i don't have to worry about GCSEs yet - but you'd think I would the amount of lectures we get on it. This doesn't exactly help any of us either... my friend was on the phone to me the other week freaking out about UNIVERSITY ENTRANCE. I was just like 'WTF?'

About the sleep thing too - i only have as much to yawn and i have a friend upon me saying

"Are you tired? How much sleep did you have last night? I had eleven hours, which I was dissapointed with 'cause I'm aiming for twelve."

This never helps, as I sometimes have sleep problems.

And ther's often more pressure in my school (it's a grammar school - so rather than a certain level being high, it's average gonk )

Anyway - thanks a lot.

Alex
xxx  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:35 pm
[Drops of Jupiter]
Thanks.

I think you're right, it is a kind of cycle. And I've always been given the role of 'the smart one', and it's living up to expectations. Maths is probably the one subject I don't have these problems in (my teacher took my rainbows group when I was six years old, and knows what I'm like, so I'm more relaxed) but it was nice to hear your little anecdote. And I actually did the same thing - after a series of nines and tens, I got a zero. O______O

I know i don't have to worry about GCSEs yet - but you'd think I would the amount of lectures we get on it. This doesn't exactly help any of us either... my friend was on the phone to me the other week freaking out about UNIVERSITY ENTRANCE. I was just like 'WTF?'

About the sleep thing too - i only have as much to yawn and i have a friend upon me saying

"Are you tired? How much sleep did you have last night? I had eleven hours, which I was dissapointed with 'cause I'm aiming for twelve."

And ther's often more pressure in my school (it's a grammar school - so rather than a certain level being high, it's average gonk )

Anyway - thanks a lot.

Alex
xxx

Okay ... your friend IS freaking out ^^

University is WAY off and you should only start thinking about it when its closer to the time of course like in College once you got your GCSE's ... dont worry about anything apart from GCSE's .... if possible start studying now O_O

Although it may seem like "WtF? whats the point?" trust me it will help by MILES, even if you do 30minutes on a saturday morning or one day when you come home IT HELPS! ...

I left it till like 1 month before to start studying and i didnt study that well either sweatdrop but when it comes nearer the time i think Anna will add a special forum for it ... hopefully xp blaugh

Still talking from an old git thats done it all ( GCSE wise anyway wink ) if i could go back in time i would start revising ASAP!!!... well like halfway through year 9 anyway ... just for a short bit ^^.

Anyway notify us when your GCSE's are coming up.

How did your CAT's go?

Hope this shows how weird your friend is ^^

Jon x

Trinco
Vice Captain

Hakuna Smiles`

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 4:45 am
Trinco
[Drops of Jupiter]
Thanks.

Anyway - thanks a lot.

Alex
xxx

Okay ... your friend IS freaking out ^^

University is WAY off and you should only start thinking about it when its closer to the time of course like in College once you got your GCSE's ... dont worry about anything apart from GCSE's .... if possible start studying now O_O

Although it may seem like "WtF? whats the point?" trust me it will help by MILES, even if you do 30minutes on a saturday morning or one day when you come home IT HELPS! ...

I left it till like 1 month before to start studying and i didnt study that well either sweatdrop but when it comes nearer the time i think Anna will add a special forum for it ... hopefully xp blaugh

Still talking from an old git thats done it all ( GCSE wise anyway wink ) if i could go back in time i would start revising ASAP!!!... well like halfway through year 9 anyway ... just for a short bit ^^.

Anyway notify us when your GCSE's are coming up.

How did your CAT's go?

Hope this shows how weird your friend is ^^

Jon x

My CATs?

We did them in year seven. And I did well - got into NAGTY (National Academy for Gifted and Talented Youth)

Yeah, it really does help to revise. And my sister can really help too - she's currently in year eleven.

I choose my options in Jan/Feb, so I'm considering subjects at the moment.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:05 am
[Drops of Jupiter]

My CATs?

We did them in year seven. And I did well - got into NAGTY (National Academy for Gifted and Talented Youth)

Yeah, it really does help to revise. And my sister can really help too - she's currently in year eleven.

Your same as me ^^ i love maths AND got into NAGTY as well ^^

Be careful with your options, think it through ...

When you do take your subjects and you dont either like the subject or dont like the class your put in in year 10 DROP IT ASAP! ... jesus i took Drama and ... well i liked Drama the subject but i HATED the class since i knew NO ONE in there! ... and i tried to drop it too late ( not my fault twas the teachers fault XP ) so i had to take Drama for 2 years -.-'

Trinco
Vice Captain

Hakuna Smiles`

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:18 am
Trinco
[Drops of Jupiter]

My CATs?

Your same as me ^^ i love maths AND got into NAGTY as well ^^

Be careful with your options, think it through ...

When you do take your subjects and you dont either like the subject or dont like the class your put in in year 10 DROP IT ASAP! ... jesus i took Drama and ... well i liked Drama the subject but i HATED the class since i knew NO ONE in there! ... and i tried to drop it too late ( not my fault twas the teachers fault XP ) so i had to take Drama for 2 years -.-'

*applauds*

Poor you... I'm not doing drama, mainly 'cause I'm not that good at it. And I'm not very good at working in a group - i'm either a control freak, or i'd rather go on my own.

I'm considering geography, but the problem is that LAST year i HATED it. I did OK, but the teacher really bugged me. This year I have the best teacher and I've been getting A*s all year. So I don't know what I'll do - i couldn't cope with the first teacher for 2 years straight.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 3:12 pm
[Drops of Jupiter]

*applauds*

Poor you... I'm not doing drama, mainly 'cause I'm not that good at it. And I'm not very good at working in a group - i'm either a control freak, or i'd rather go on my own.

I'm considering geography, but the problem is that LAST year i HATED it. I did OK, but the teacher really bugged me. This year I have the best teacher and I've been getting A*s all year. So I don't know what I'll do - i couldn't cope with the first teacher for 2 years straight.

What id suggest is go to your head tutor or headmaster and ask who normally takes Geography in year 10, yuou should have the same teacher for the 2 years, then you can find out if he/she is good or bad.

If you have NO IDEA who the teacher is ask around someone should know. Or even ask one of the sixth formers. They normally will help out ^^

Also the stuff you was studying MIGHT have made an impact so find out what your studying.

But yeah it usually is the teacher, i mean i had Mr.Ingrim ... what a GIMP! ... Anna will know who he is i think ... he was such a TWA* ^^ he couldnt teach for NOTHING ... he was our chemistry teacher. You might know him since hes written some of the Chemistry books alongside some other quack.

Have a look out for him ^^

Anyway off, bye

Trinco
Vice Captain

Hakuna Smiles`

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:22 pm
Trinco
[Drops of Jupiter]

*applauds*

What id suggest is go to your head tutor or headmaster and ask who normally takes Geography in year 10, yuou should have the same teacher for the 2 years, then you can find out if he/she is good or bad.

If you have NO IDEA who the teacher is ask around someone should know. Or even ask one of the sixth formers. They normally will help out ^^

Also the stuff you was studying MIGHT have made an impact so find out what your studying.

But yeah it usually is the teacher, i mean i had Mr.Ingrim ... what a GIMP! ... Anna will know who he is i think ... he was such a TWA* ^^ he couldnt teach for NOTHING ... he was our chemistry teacher. You might know him since hes written some of the Chemistry books alongside some other quack.

Have a look out for him ^^

Anyway off, bye

I'll be sure to. I'll probably get the nice teacher - they can't let the other loose on GSCE students. Once, someone asked her why it was hot near the equator. She answered thus:

"Well, the centre of the earth is very hot, and all that heat has to escape somewhere. It comes out of the equator."

WHAAAAAAT?! If she knows a thing about geography, then she'd still be kicking herself for that.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:37 am
just think aobut how much better ur doign then other ppl!lotsa ppl are failing and droppin out of school! biggrin
but me, i just got on the principals list, so i cant exactly empathy u or tell how u feel, getting good grades yet feeling...depressed...just know that ur smart, and that to not beat urself up over it.
lot sof people go into a slump, like me, in grade 5 i got all B's when i usually get B's and A's!!
whee

hehe.

anyway, maybe u have something distracting u....in life away from school, so just set urself straight, cuz going 2 grade 9 is gonna take hours of study time (or so i hear. im in grade 7! hehe rofl )

GOODLUCK!  

coolcheese

Depression

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces