Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Reader's Guild

Back to Guilds

Are you a book lover or aspiring writer, join us. 

Tags: book, read, writer, authors, fanfiction 

Reply The Reader's Guild Main Forum
Native American Literature

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Ever read Native American Literature?
  yes
  nope
View Results

Artemis Gly
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:02 pm
So, I had to take this literature class, and it turns out i got one called Native American Literature... And I recently had to read a "Native American" novel. Completely new genre possibilities have opened up,LOL. No but seriously I had to read this book (fiction) called "Fools Crow" by James Welch, and it is sooo different from the books I usually read,lol but It was great, you have to try to figure out what the names mean since they're in English but at the same time they're not(kind of in their own language but in English) Yeah I know that makes no sense to you if you havent read it, but trust me its a whole 'nother world,lol. But I recommend it to everyone, and if any of you have read something similar like this, post here, would love to hear your thoughts. Byesss! biggrin  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:30 pm
do you mean literature written by Native Americans,or about them/their mythology. Or both?

if you just want to know a good novel that has native american elements in the story, try "Moon of Two Dark Horses" - I loved it back when I was in middle school. It gave me an interesting perspective of early life here in America  

Umi Pryde

5,550 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Conversationalist 100

Underworld Priestess

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:55 am
I have read quite a few good Native American fictional novels, namely the Gears series. They wrote all those books, The People of the Lakes; The People of the Earth, etc.
I have read a few other good books but I can't remember the names of them, I believe one was Dances with the Deer and then there was another about two story tellers telling a story.
If that's what you meant.....I've read a few mythological stories but nothing non-fiction.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:36 pm
Umi Pryde
do you mean literature written by Native Americans,or about them/their mythology. Or both?

if you just want to know a good novel that has native american elements in the story, try "Moon of Two Dark Horses" - I loved it back when I was in middle school. It gave me an interesting perspective of early life here in America

Both I guess, since there were some that was about them but very few, the majority were novels written by Native Americans.  

Artemis Gly
Captain

The Reader's Guild Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces