Welcome to Gaia! ::

Fix Offers On Gaia!

Back to Guilds

This guild was created to help Gaians speak up about the offers. 

Reply Safer Offers
Pop-up Ads Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Have you ecountered these ads?
yes
21%
 21%  [ 11 ]
no
78%
 78%  [ 40 ]
Total Votes : 51

la dentelle
Vice Captain

Feline Demigod

23,725 Points
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Hero 100
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:06 pm
As many of you may or may not know, over the past few days there have been an unprecedented number of pop-up ads on gaia.
Actually, they're the first I've ever seen. And at least one is for a quiz about gaia promising 1.5 million gold.
I don't entirely know if this would be our jurisdiction, but I figured I would mention it.
In order to find out other people's experiences, I'm going to make an announcement.
If anyone else could share any experiences or information, I would greatly appreciate it.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:15 pm
I only get those annoying talking ads.  

imtammy

-EccentricElegance-

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:23 pm
imtammy
I only get those annoying talking ads.

yes i find them soooo irrtating if you refresh the page to see if you have a pm and one is there and your liek ahhh and i have to refsh it again there annoying and stupid  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:25 pm
I received on that looked exactly like a gaia page when I logged in.

Really?  

il Kaori li

xena91388

Gambino Zealot

14,150 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:27 pm
Have you tried using a pop-up blocker? I haven't had any pop-ups on Gaian yet. The only annoying ads I have experienced are the ones in the dressing rooms that cover my item poses list but all I have to do is move the list.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:34 pm
xena91388
Have you tried using a pop-up blocker? I haven't had any pop-ups on Gaian yet. The only annoying ads I have experienced are the ones in the dressing rooms that cover my item poses list but all I have to do is move the list.
Same with myself.
I've taken to using adblockplus. (Though seeing as for many sites that's their sole revenue, I should disable it and only enable it when I need the extra bandwidth...)
Anyway, are scam pop-ups in their control? How to pop-ups come to be on a site in the first place? o__o  

Dragon Of The Rose

Accursed Shapeshifter

17,615 Points
  • Comrades in Arms 150
  • Hero 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

la dentelle
Vice Captain

Feline Demigod

23,725 Points
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Hero 100
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:39 pm
Dragon Of The Rose
xena91388
Same with myself.
I've taken to using adblockplus. (Though seeing as for many sites that's their sole revenue, I should disable it and only enable it when I need the extra bandwidth...)
Anyway, are scam pop-ups in their control? How to pop-ups come to be on a site in the first place? o__o

Hence my posting in the first place.
Also, I would prefer it if you would not just say that they're 'sooo annoying'; I understand your frustration, but it's not constructive.

As to the adblock- that's a fair point.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:44 pm
la dentelle
Dragon Of The Rose
xena91388
Same with myself.

Hence my posting in the first place.
Also, I would prefer it if you would not just say that they're 'sooo annoying'; I understand your frustration, but it's not constructive.

As to the adblock- that's a fair point.

I gather that they are javascript on the page. The javascript might be contained in a banner ad...it might be completely unintentional by Gaia, but the issue should be brought up with them so that if there is some source they can stop listing...
I really don't know how any of it works. xd
Good luck?  

Dragon Of The Rose

Accursed Shapeshifter

17,615 Points
  • Comrades in Arms 150
  • Hero 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Sandawich

Rainbow Nova

12,175 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Champion 300
  • Rebuilder 100
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:52 pm
I've encountered them before  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:20 pm
I haven't had any popups, but Adblock Plus with the element hiding helper for Firefox does wonders for getting rid of the ads.  

KairiWillSwantonYou

Dapper Hunter

Vocality

Junior

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:27 pm
I got a pop-up, took the quiz, but I don't remember it saying anything about gold. Anyways, I wasn't hacked. I guess that means everything's fine with it.
Or, we're talking about two different pop-ups.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:06 pm
I've had none at all. I do have a decent firewall and adblockers on firefox handy tho

Psyri

Blessed Seeker

9,050 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tipsy 100

Anne Packrat

Swashbuckling Humorist

14,600 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:54 pm
Please report them here.

Please make sure to read the directions to find out which information is required when reporting an inappropriate ad.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:02 pm
I've seen similar in threads and such. What it usually ends up being in those cases, though, is that someone has a hack site set up that they're running through tinyurl.com. Whenever their post gets loaded, Gaia loads the tinyurl hack site, since it's in IMG tags, and voila - scam pop-up.  

Jaydenn Kelvari

7,775 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0

Toxicated Cuppycakes

Tipsy Lunatic

6,800 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:32 pm
User Image "STFU I'm talking!"

The only time I've gotten an alarming ad here on Gaia was one of the banner ads in Chatterbox that set off flags with my anti-virus.

If you don't use Firefox, make the switch and get the plugin Adblock Plus.

It's what I use, and it works very well. : D

"Okay, I'm done." User Image

Safer Offers

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas