Total Votes : 20

CeaCia
Crew

7,850 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Profitable 100
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:37 pm
There's a theory (and i think it's true or at least partly) that the disney company ripped off two anime series but copying many of their aspects into 2 movies. These 2 movies are The Lion King and Atlantis: The Lost Empire.

It's believed that that the Lion King is a rip off of the anime series Kimba the White Lion. The biggest evidence is the names, Kimba...Simba, differs by one letter <_< also lookie at this pic
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
and lookie at the pics here http://members.jcom.home.ne.jp/y-asada/leo2.html and go here to find out more http://www.kimbawlion.com/rant2.htm http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kimba_the_White_Lion http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lion_King

And people believe that Atlantis is a rip off of Nadia: Secret of the Blue Water. The main characters look similar, the plots have similarities
go here to see pics and plot similarities http://www.oldcrows.net/Atlantis/ and more here http://www.thesecretofbluewater.com/atlantis2-i.htm wikipedia has some stuff too

*note: both of these anime series came out waaaaaaaaay before the disney movies
*note 2: the crysal comparison between Nadia and Atlantis don't really count becuase some people believe Atlantians used crystals as power sources.
**random note: The creator of Kimba was inspired by Disney's Bambi and even met Walt
**random note 2: Nadia: Secret of The Blue Water is slighty based of the Jules Verne novel 20000 Leagues Under the Sea which Disney had turned into a live action movie  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:12 pm
well, maybe some of the animators watched that anime? razz but I don't think the named are taken from it. Kimba might be close, but most, if not all the names are african words, that describe the personality of the character. like how Rafiki's song actually means something. that's why he answers to Simba "You're a baboon and I'm not".that's what he said (haven't seen lion king in so long, so I don't know the quoted by heart)  

deleteagent48

500 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

CeaCia
Crew

7,850 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Profitable 100
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:48 pm
Ennui_Ringmaster
well, maybe some of the animators watched that anime? razz but I don't think the named are taken from it. Kimba might be close, but most, if not all the names are african words, that describe the personality of the character. like how Rafiki's song actually means something. that's why he answers to Simba "You're a baboon and I'm not".that's what he said (haven't seen lion king in so long, so I don't know the quoted by heart)

If you read the wikipedia article it says some people were told (including Simba voice actor) that the lion was going to be named Kimba  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:37 pm
crying That's true, but still, its kind of sad... I LOVE disney! crying  

SuGaRuSh7727

Queendude

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 3:41 pm
Wasnt the Lion King a really old story anyways...  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:25 pm
Queendude

I don't think so...
but parts are based off of Hamlet  

CeaCia
Crew

7,850 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Profitable 100

Sly_As_A_Fox

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:53 pm
Actually.. Simba in another language means Lion. I forgot which one, but it's an African language. So.. technically, the name wasn't copied. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:04 pm
Its not the basic plots that arouse suspicion, its a LOT of details that make one raise a brow. Like there are many similar characters based off the same animals and many situations and things that parellel these anime serieses in these Disney movies.

Although it doesnt really matter, cuz whether Disney ripped them off, or not, they still wouldn't win if they ever took anything to court. Disney has a pretty strong chokehold.  

blackwhiteandsilver

XxSmitten_Kitten_13xX

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:35 pm
Wow, thats all really eye-opening!! I never even knew about the "Kimba the Lion" movie . . . sweatdrop Reading all the information and seeing the pictures has really led me to believe that Disney did "borrow" (for lack of a better word) The "Kimba" idea. But I believe this says it best . . .

"What if Disney's "sure thing" suddenly went in an unexpected direction? What if the court ruled, Solomon-like, that nobody owned the English-language rights to Kimba The White Lion? Faced with such options as going ahead with an un-copyrightable production or scrapping entirely the expensive production efforts that had already been done, would they choose to make a few strategic changes and then deny any knowledge of the original production?"
-Craig Anderson

Makes sense . . . but it doesn't make it right to do such a thing. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:44 pm
Ah yes...Kimba the White Lion. It had a nice theme song...

Personally, I guess I don't really care that much. Even if it's proven that Disney DID rip it off, Disney just does it better so it doesn't lower their reputation in my mind.

SailorGadget

Kipluck

5,850 Points
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:00 pm
That Kimba stuff is pretty compelling, I must say.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 11:11 am
Ok, I've always suspected the whole Lion King/Kimba thing, but now seeing the atlantis thing. Damn, I'm suprised Disney wasn't sued!  

Chansey_is_Hot

superwhatever

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:00 pm
wow! I never realized that until now!  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:10 am
Aneyana
Queendude

I don't think so...
but parts are based off of Hamlet

Hence why some of the production teams called it "Hamlet in Africa".  

Joanna the n00b hunter

Gunslinger Aura

6,600 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:37 pm
While I have watched an anime movie about two cubs who were seperated from their parents that reminds me of the Lion King, I highly doubt "Kimba the White Lion" exists.

Wikipedia isn't the end-all of information; in fact, ANYONE CAN CHANGE IT if they so choose->My friends and I did that last week (about something else, but still).

The pictures that you showed look digitally manipulated...probably someone's idea of a joke. They probably took the orginal screenshot on the right and used paint or photoshop or something to alter it to work their fake argument.  
Disney's Little Secrets

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games