Reply Deathrock
FREE COMPILATION! Coldwave Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Vernian Process

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:57 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

For those of you unfamiliar with the term "Coldwave" (not to be confused with the Industrial-Metal genre of the same name that came later), think of the minimal and atmospheric periods of bands like The Cure, Joy Division, Wire, Bauhaus, Clan of Xymox, This Mortal Coil, and throw in a decent helping of the cold synth work of Fad Gadget, Gary Numan, OMD, Tuxedomoon, etc. Then add just a dash of the early Industrial experimentalism of Cabaret Voltaire, Throbbing Gristle, and Einsturzende Neubauten. Now that should give you some idea of the roots of Coldwave. The genre itself found popularity in the mid to late 80's mainly in Europe with artists like Asylum Party, Kas Product, Baroque Bordello, Clair Obscur, Kirlian Camera, Little Nemo, Trisomie 21, and Norma Loy (to name but a few). But recently it has seen a resurgence of activity both in Europe and abroad. Though many of the newer artists performing music in this vein may not even be aware of the genre at all.

I hope this will spark some good discussion, as Coldwave is a pretty obscure genre, but it's about as Goth as one can get.

Here's a link to an active label carrying quite a few Cold Wave albums and comps: www.infrastition.com

Check the following link to hear one of my all time favorite Coldwave tracks:
Asylum Party - Pure Joy in my Heart  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:31 pm
Here you go: I actually just finished a compilation of Coldwave. If anyone wants to hear it, follow the link below!

A Moment Frozen in Time

Vernian Process

!Age of Consent!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:42 pm
I've been meaning to get into Coldwave. Thanks for the links c: Vernian Process is a good project (=  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:16 pm
A man after my own heart. Damn I love me some French coldwave. 3nodding  

Sinister Kung Fu

meteors

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:41 pm
Well since I know next to nothing about the genre, I'm definitely going to download that and give it a listen.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:05 pm
Man, this is fantastic. I've been listening to it all day. <3  

Sharing Heartbeats

Sinister Kung Fu

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:18 pm
A Kiss To Say Hello
Man, this is fantastic. I've been listening to it all day. <3

I've got full albums by alot of those bands. I've posted a few in the download thread, and when I get around to it, I'll post some of the others. The Norma Loy album I have is fantastic, as is the Baroque Bordello.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:39 pm
Thanks so much. =)

You too Sinister; I will check out your downloads as well.  

Adonais is Dead

-Resurrected Writer-
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:51 pm
While the only coldwave I've listened to has been Rosa Crux, I think I'll give those a shot smile  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:23 pm
I honestly didn't know what to expect, but that was actually quite good. Are most coldwave bands English/British and French?  

meteors

Sinister Kung Fu

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:11 pm
meteors
I honestly didn't know what to expect, but that was actually quite good. Are most coldwave bands English/British and French?

Mostly French. A few Italian, and maybe one or two from surrounding countries (Belgium, Switzerland etc)  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:32 pm
Sinister Kung Fu
meteors

Mostly French. A few Italian, and maybe one or two from surrounding countries (Belgium, Switzerland etc)

No Spanish?  

meteors

Sinister Kung Fu

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:58 pm
meteors
Sinister Kung Fu
meteors

No Spanish?

I can give you plenty of Spanish and Portugese post-punk and deathrock bands, but none of them are really considered coldwave  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:53 pm
Gee, I just DLed this and I am really enjoying it. I think once I'll have to look into some of these bands some more. surprised  

Six Bells Chime
Crew

Dangerous Phantom

meteors

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:04 pm
Sinister Kung Fu
meteors
Sinister Kung Fu
meteors

No Spanish?

I can give you plenty of Spanish and Portugese post-punk and deathrock bands, but none of them are really considered coldwave

Sure, that would be great.  
Deathrock

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces