Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Reader's Guild

Back to Guilds

Are you a book lover or aspiring writer, join us. 

Tags: book, read, writer, authors, fanfiction 

Reply The Reader's Guild Main Forum
Recommended Books: Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Any books you would like to share??
  sure
  not really
View Results

Artemis Gly
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:31 pm
Is there any book you'd like to recommend, post here then, and share this great book with others!  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:43 am
if you want a high powered book of action,suspense,and aa ever so changing plot then check it out.The Ultamates!(suggested for comic lovers)

Or maybe you're to mature for a super hero novel,then check out The Red Dragon!Suspense, horror, and a phycosematic theme that refuses to let down.(recomended for an "older" adience.)  

rouge3
Crew

Adalido Riftscribe

Rich Tipper

8,050 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:15 am
Lake Wobegon Summer 1956 by Garrison Keillor. Freakin' awesome book. The dry humor, the realism, the setting itself all lends itself to classic Americana. A must read for anyone who enjoys good books.

I have more to recommend, but first I must find them (I have a collection of well over 100 books (hard cover and paperback)).  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:36 pm
The twilight series or the marked series, there both about action, love, romance, and vampires.  

Lyeah2004

HappyPinkHearts

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:58 pm
The dark magicians guild is one of my favorites.. by trudi caravan i think.. its a good read... a triliogy... fun times  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:55 pm
Lyeah2004
The twilight series or the marked series, there both about action, love, romance, and vampires.

I have the twilight series, theyre good, well in my opinion of course. Havent heard of the marked yet... gotta check it out.  

Artemis Gly
Captain

Turtle Sensei

Conservative Fatcat

6,600 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:35 pm
Hiyo! I'm Turtle Sensei and I've got a few spiffy books to recommend!

Charles de Lint's Svaha - (description from Powells.com and the back of the book hehe) Out beyond the Enclaves, in the desolation between the cities, an Indian flyer has been downed. A chip encoded with vital secrets is missing. Only Gahzee can venture forth to find it--walking the line between the Dreamtime and the Realtime, bringing his people's ancient magic to bear on the poisoned world of tomorrow.Bringing hope, perhaps, for a new dawn. . .

Charles de Lint - he's such an amazing writer. I've been devouring his books since I was 9 yrs (I'm 22yrs, almost 23 now) His books combine Celtic and Native American mythology into a seamless masterpiece.

Theodore Judson's Fitzpatrick's War - amazing book about a crazy lord who wanted to conquer the world, and the one soldier who saw him for the monster he truly was; and was brave enough to tell the tale. It's written like a soldier's journal that has been edited by a college professor it has lots of neat foot notes and such from the professor. The history in this book is so amazingly thought out! Powell's has this to say on this book "An inspired first science fiction novel set several hundred years in the future when the world's population has been decimated by biological weapons, this book chronicles the Alexander-like rise and fall of Fitzpatrick the Younger, as told by one of his close companions."

Eric Flint's 1632 - (description from Powells.com) FREEDOM AND JUSTICE — AMERICAN STYLE 1632 And in northern Germany things couldn't get much worse. Famine. Disease. Religous war laying waste the cities. Only the aristocrats remained relatively unscathed; for the peasants, death was a mercy. 2000 Things are going OK in Grantville, West Virginia, and everybody attending the wedding of Mike Stearn's sister (including the entire local chapter of the United Mine Workers of America, which Mike leads) is having a good time. THEN, EVERYTHING CHANGED.... When the dust settles, Mike leads a group of armed miners to find out what happened and finds the road into town is cut, as with a sword. On the other side, a scene out of Hell: a man nailed to a farmhouse door, his wife and daughter attacked by men in steel vests. Faced with this, Mike and his friends don't have to ask who to shoot. At that moment Freedom and Justice, American style, are introduced to the middle of the Thirty Years' War.

And last bu certainly not least

Jacqueline Carrey's Kushiel's Dart, Kushiel's Chosen, Kushiel's Avatar, and Kushiel's Legacy (description from Powells.com again!) The land of Terre d'Ange is a place of unsurpassing beauty and grace. It is said that angels found the land and saw it was good...and the ensuing race that rose from the seed of angels and men live by one simple rule: Love as thou wilt.

Phèdre nó Delaunay is a young woman who was born with a scarlet mote in her left eye. Sold into indentured servitude as a child, her bond is purchased by Anafiel Delaunay, a nobleman with very a special mission...and the first one to recognize who and what she is: one pricked by Kushiel's Dart, chosen to forever experience pain and pleasure as one.

Phèdre is trained equally in the courtly arts and the talents of the bedchamber, but, above all, the ability to observe, remember, and analyze. Almost as talented a spy as she is courtesan, Phèdre stumbles upon a plot that threatens the very foundations of her homeland. Treachery sets her on her path; love and honor goad her further. And in the doing, it will take her to the edge of despair...and beyond. Hateful friend, loving enemy, beloved assassin; they can all wear the same glittering mask in this world, and Phèdre will get but one chance to save all that she holds dear.

Set in a world of cunning poets, deadly courtiers, heroic traitors, and a truly Machiavellian villainess, this is a novel of grandeur, luxuriance, sacrifice, betrayal, and deeply laid conspiracies. Not since Dune has there been an epic on the scale of Kushiel's Dart — a massive tale about the violent death of an old age, and the birth of a new.

I hope that you guys can pick up and enjoy these authors. They're all a really amazing bunch! You won't be able to put the books down!  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:51 am
Ok, here are some really good books that I think more people should definitely know about. They were kind of hidden in the bookstores.

Angie Sage is a pretty good author. She wrote the Septimus Heap series. There's Magyk, Flyte, Physik, and the newest one is Queste (and yes, I am spelling those correctly.
They're about this boy who is taken away from his mother after birth by the midwife who is really in cahoots with this evil necromancer named DomDaniel. He grows up in the Young Army and later finds out that he is a wizard. Meanwhile, his father finds a baby in the snow, and takes it home for he and his wife to raise along with their other six sons. Things start to get complicated when many things threathen the baby's life.

There's also these books by Ted Dekker: Black, Red, and White. It's a trilogy. Now, I found these in the religious section of Borders, but I think if you are into the action thriller, parallel universe thing, you could read them just as a book. They're really good.
They're about this guy named Thomas Hunter who travels in between two worlds in his sleep. He lives in Denver, Colorado while trying to protect his sister from a mob that he took a $250,000 loan out from. The weird thing is that the world aside from our world is several centuries ahead of our time.
They're both really good authors to check out. I'll put more on later.

Little Silver Girl

Turtle Sensei

Conservative Fatcat

6,600 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:19 pm
kuddlykoalakrazy
Ok, here are some really good books that I think more people should definitely know about. They were kind of hidden in the bookstores.

Angie Sage is a pretty good author. She wrote the Septimus Heap series. There's Magyk, Flyte, Physik, and the newest one is Queste (and yes, I am spelling those correctly.
They're about this boy who is taken away from his mother after birth by the midwife who is really in cahoots with this evil necromancer named DomDaniel. He grows up in the Young Army and later finds out that he is a wizard. Meanwhile, his father finds a baby in the snow, and takes it home for he and his wife to raise along with their other six sons. Things start to get complicated when many things threathen the baby's life.

There's also these books by Ted Dekker: Black, Red, and White. It's a trilogy. Now, I found these in the religious section of Borders, but I think if you are into the action thriller, parallel universe thing, you could read them just as a book. They're really good.
They're about this guy named Thomas Hunter who travels in between two worlds in his sleep. He lives in Denver, Colorado while trying to protect his sister from a mob that he took a $250,000 loan out from. The weird thing is that the world aside from our world is several centuries ahead of our time.

Ooohh! Those sound spiffy! I'll have to check em out!  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:04 pm
OK so First one is a cliche but Really everyone in the world should poccess a copy of 'Wuthering Heights' Cause it's AMAZING!

'Wolfs Head Wolfs Heart'- Jane Lindskold (A seriously wonderful page turner!!!!!!!!!!)

'Not Without my Daughter' - Betty Mahmoody (The movie did it no justice read the book it's so in dept it's awesome)  

MichiokoXIII

Artemis Gly
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:45 pm
MichiokoXIII
OK so First one is a cliche but Really everyone in the world should poccess a copy of 'Wuthering Heights' Cause it's AMAZING!

'Wolfs Head Wolfs Heart'- Jane Lindskold (A seriously wonderful page turner!!!!!!!!!!)

'Not Without my Daughter' - Betty Mahmoody (The movie did it no justice read the book it's so in dept it's awesome)

'Wolfs Head Wolfs Heart', sounds good, i want to check it out  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:46 pm
Turtle Sensei
kuddlykoalakrazy

Ooohh! Those sound spiffy! I'll have to check em out!

I find them intersting too, I'll see if I can find more about them, and check them out.  

Artemis Gly
Captain

Runkle

Genius

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:33 pm
Everything's Eventual by Stephen King is really good. It's a collection of 14 short stories, each of which has some relevance to actual books he has written. Some of them are creepy to think about, like the first one, "Autopsy Room Four." I won't go into detail, but this man is going to have an autopsy performed on him, but he's still alive. The book is very good.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:16 pm
Tithe, Valiant, and Ironside all by Holly Black. they are about the creepier side of faeries and them interacting while the human world is unaware...or are they. teehee  

Kitten Overlord

Friendly Hunter

Runkle

Genius

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:14 pm
User Image
From a Buick 8 by Stephen King.

Great book, I loved it.
User Image

The Reader's Guild Main Forum

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items