Submit

Licorious Kasaki

Tipsy Regular

5,200 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tipsy 100
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:19 pm
So some of us must have asked how the mind works. Do we believe that the mind is still untapped, and has super powers that we can never use? Do we believe that we have super strength that only the parts of the mind we don't know can control? What good is there to having a mind you can't use fully?

I believe that our minds do in fact have the possibility of strengths that we can't control, like the ability to solve a Calculus equation in 5 seconds with just thinking. I have no evidence to prove any of this, because we are still not able to press deeper into our minds to find the truth.

Say your ideas about this subject.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:00 am
I've read somewhere that we have billions of brain cells. Each brain cell is as powerfull as a supercomputer, and has a connection to 40,000 other brain cells.

The thing is though most of our brain is being used by our subconcous. The calculations required for us blinking alone are more complicated than the hardest math problembs in calculus 5.
Heartbeat
Lungs
Concousness
sight
taste
touch
smell
sound
muscle movement
Not the diguestive system, it functions on it's own,
physical attraction,
addiction,
hunger,
thurst

Alot more. Our brain does so many things subconcously, that we can't controll them all concously. However with great dicipline it is possible to direct a few of them at a time.  

27x
Crew

Oniko-inuki

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:56 am
Sleepless Kasaki

I believe that our minds do in fact have the possibility of strengths that we can't control, like the ability to solve a Calculus equation in 5 seconds with just thinking. ....

The brain is capable of amazing things but some of those amazing things come at the cost of other more mundane functions, as can be seen in 'idiot savant' where a developmental disorder results in the brain focusing on one particular talent to the exclusion of all else.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:41 pm
Oniko-inuki
Sleepless Kasaki

I believe that our minds do in fact have the possibility of strengths that we can't control, like the ability to solve a Calculus equation in 5 seconds with just thinking. ....

The brain is capable of amazing things but some of those amazing things come at the cost of other more mundane functions, as can be seen in 'idiot savant' where a developmental disorder results in the brain focusing on one particular talent to the exclusion of all else.

Yes but we don't nececarily know exactly what causes one to be a sevant. For all we know, it could just be a hormone imablance, witch gives benefits to some functions, and disables others, however it doesn't nececarily mean that somone can't reach the intelligence of a sevant without ruinging other parts of their brain.

The way I see it It works like this.

If I wanted to to telekenesis then I think I could. Tele-distant, and Kenesis-movement, put together, means to move something from far away. Therefore, if I want to move something from far away, I'd just use my arm.

That is an application of a concous function of the mind. We can controll these kinds of things, because we don't have to controll alot with our concous mind.

The subconcous uses alot of energy, but it doesn't wonder why.

If we were concous of every process going on in our brain, however, then we'd use up alot of energy thinking about it, and contemplating it.

It's too much to focus on concously, but it can be done subconcously.  

27x
Crew

Oniko-inuki

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:15 am
27x
Oniko-inuki
Sleepless Kasaki

Yes but we don't nececarily know exactly what causes one to be a sevant. For all we know, it could just be a hormone imablance, witch gives benefits to some functions, and disables others, however it doesn't nececarily mean that somone can't reach the intelligence of a sevant without ruinging other parts of their brain.

Okay, bad example. Lets look at brain trauma. Sometime what is lost can be regained by the brain building alternate pathways or utilizing different parts for new functions, sometimes what is lost never comes back. The point I am trying to make is that I think that there is a limit to the pathways that we can handle using. Use a pathway more often it becomes stronger and we are more inclined to use it again. Use a pathway less often it becomes weaker and eventually dissapears.

To build up certain pathways to such extreames takes time and effort, time and effort that is not spent on other pathways, therefore you may be able to build up some parts of the brain but at the cost of others.

27x
The way I see it It works like this.

If I wanted to to telekenesis then I think I could. Tele-distant, and Kenesis-movement, put together, means to move something from far away. Therefore, if I want to move something from far away, I'd just use my arm.

That's a new usage for telekenesis biggrin

27x
That is an application of a concous function of the mind. We can controll these kinds of things, because we don't have to controll alot with our concous mind.

The subconcous uses alot of energy, but it doesn't wonder why.

If we were concous of every process going on in our brain, however, then we'd use up alot of energy thinking about it, and contemplating it.

It's too much to focus on concously, but it can be done subconcously.

Even if we had to do everything consciously I bet that it wouldn't be long before we developed a subconscious; haven't you ever done some simple repetitive task for so long that you simply quit thinking about it?  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:55 pm
I agree that lots of what we do is controlled through out subconscious but I think we can control things in out body. Like one can foucs their eyes when they please but on the other hand the eyes can foucs without you making them. I am not sure about strengths like solving a Calculus equasion (Seeing as I can barley figure out some basic problems, haha) but perhaps for those who have the ability they could.  

x3 SuGarr CoOkiie

Zarfione

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:23 am
There is a lot untapped in our minds,especially to the parallel universe/dimensions,paranormal=psychic.We just have to open the doors and discover the undiscovered  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:01 am
Zarfione
There is a lot untapped in our minds,especially to the parallel universe/dimensions,paranormal=psychic.We just have to open the doors and discover the undiscovered

I'm not so sure I agree. There are certainly things the mind is capable of that we have no idea about, but did it ever occur to anyone that perhaps there's a very good REASON we don't know about them?  

Niniva

27x
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:33 pm
On the other hand, perhaps God keeps us from being able to do these things because we would be more difficult to controll.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:09 am
27x
On the other hand, perhaps God keeps us from being able to do these things because we would be more difficult to controll.

This is akin to the "good reason" I spoke of earlier, accept I didn't appeal to any higher power.

The reason could be simply cause and affect, such as if we COULD tap these "powers" of sorts then apathy may run rampant, immorality would insue....things that we are either not ok with and or not ready for. That types of things.

Could be God, could be any number of other possibilities.  

Niniva

27x
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:10 am
Niniva
27x

This is akin to the "good reason" I spoke of earlier, accept I didn't appeal to any higher power.

The reason could be simply cause and affect, such as if we COULD tap these "powers" of sorts then apathy may run rampant, immorality would insue....things that we are either not ok with and or not ready for. That types of things.

Well I may be wrong, but I believe that if not god, then fate, keeps us from becomeing too powerfull.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:55 am
27x
Niniva
27x

Well I may be wrong, but I believe that if not god, then fate, keeps us from becomeing too powerfull.

I'm not entirely certain I know what that word "fate" is reffering to. But if it is refering to some deterministic factors then we don't really have a mind at all anyway so we cannot "tap" into it since we have no real tride and true free will to actuall "act" anyway....but that is a conversation for another time in another thread.  

Niniva

27x
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:39 pm
Niniva
27x
Niniva
27x

I'm not entirely certain I know what that word "fate" is reffering to. But if it is refering to some deterministic factors then we don't really have a mind at all anyway so we cannot "tap" into it since we have no real tride and true free will to actuall "act" anyway....but that is a conversation for another time in another thread.

By fate I mean the lack of free will; the idea that everything will happen a certian way.

I peronally believe that either there is a good, or there is a fate that keeps us from our free will.

That's entirely subjective though; purely speculation.  
Philosophy Threads

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games