Welcome to Gaia! ::

Our Irish Community

Back to Guilds

Open to Irish, anyone interested in Ireland, and even non-Irish! [Roleplays, debates, minishops - and more!] 

Tags: Irish, Ireland, roleplay, minishops, community 

Reply Our Irish Community
Folk music, anyone? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Modern or Traditional?
  modern C:
  traditional :D
  i don't listen to it.
View Results

merriwether

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:11 pm
So, seeing as all or most of us like Ireland so much.
Anyone listen to any good Celtic music?
It doesn't necesarily have to be Irish.
It can be Welsh, Swedish, Scottish, etc.

Do you guys prefer Traditional or Modern?

Have any of you ever been to a festival,
with any good bands?
It's okay if none of you have.

Just thought I'd bring a new topic in to talk about.

heart  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:41 pm
♔ Yes! Thank you for the new topic / thread! *Happy!* C:
Hmmm. . . I'd have to say my favorite band in the entire world was Celtic Thunder, which is a popular group of men from Ireland (one from Scotland) who sing some traditional Celtic songs, and even some old American songs. They recently went on an American tour, and even a world tour so they say. I went to their concert in America recently [end of last year]. My heart melted away, lol! ^^
I prefer. . . Traditional. Especially old Irish and Celtic songs. [ie. Raggle Taggle Gypsy].
Um. . . . I went to a town festival in the fall and discovered a great band! [Handful of Luvin.] Which was a mix of tech-no and fiddle. Fall Festival.

User Image

LittleKaiju

Captain

Questionable Browser

Naeryl

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:35 pm
Ehh... I'm not really into folk music myself. Like I'd listen to it and sing along at a party or whatever, but I wouldn't buy a CD of it or consciously choose to listen to it o.O (my mother is getting a guy that does stuff like the Dubliners for my dad's 50th birthday party, so at times like that, I'll happily sit back in the crowd and join in).

But I think I'd choose modern over traditional. TO be honest, you get a laugh out of them more, and they are just a lot of fun.

Example:
I freaking love this XD So funny. My dad likes to play this crap in the car when we go on holiday, so yeah xD But this one is just awesome lol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtR4X6x5d7I  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:21 am
I like some traditional Irish Music, but I'm not really fond of jigs and reels and all that. Perhaps I have heard too much of it lol A really really old form of Irish singing is called sean nos (shan no-ss), a kind of wailing whining sound rofl Sounds Arabic, in fact, very similar to North African music.

Some really good performers of Irish traditional music are The Chieftains, Anuna, I'll see if I can find some samples for you.  

Nyqa

Nyqa

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:17 am
Anuna

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBz-kcgE4Ow&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OM8Uv5RFOyM&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmhskhZiUwY&feature=related

Sting and the Chieftains (yes, believe it! Sting singing in Irish)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auSa0YfkxFE&feature=related

The Chieftains, and some scenery

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHgncPpVnlo&feature=related

Just for fun, the first appearance of Riverdance, at the 2004 Eurovision Song Contest hosted in Ireland.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sy05Y3kJQ_E  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:34 pm
♔ Azyure - Hey! I agree! Thank you for all the samples~! I enjoyed them!!! I love the Chieftains! My Da's favorite band! My favorite bands are Celtic Thunder (*melts, lol!*) and the Waterboys! [Desides to add samples.]

My favorite song of the Waterboys besides their "raggle taggle gypsy" [*listening to it currently*] that was played in "waking ned devine." [Good movie!]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VKouBHarIo

One of my favorite Celtic Thunder songs. . . that was sadly cut a little short. . . [Celtic Thunder = my all time favorite band! ^^]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJyEO3xocb4

User Image

LittleKaiju

Captain

Questionable Browser

MitchellLevenson

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:08 pm
I went to the Renaissance Faire here in Las Vegas last fall. In the evening of the second day, there was a big concert. I forgot the bands (i was having too much fun dancing), but they did this song about how a guy came home to find his wife cheating on him because he wet to the bar too often (the chorus/verse was like this "...came home to find boots where his boots should be.... a head where his head should be.... etc.). Does anyone know the song I'm thinking of?

And does anyone like other cultures' folk music?
I'm really proud of my Jewish, American, and Russian roots, so I love Klesmer music, Cossack music, and American Folk.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:05 pm
♔ [Thanks for posting!]
Renaissance Faire? Wow, I'm jealous!
I would have loved going to that. @.@
Sorry though, don't think I know the song. . . *Thinks.*
- - -
Oh! I listen to Russian music!
I'm not Russian, but I can read and write, + speak a little.
American folk. . . Sometimes.

User Image

LittleKaiju

Captain

Questionable Browser

Nathaniel Denieers
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:07 pm
you know i really cant decide which i like more. i listen to both of them. though the band may not be entirely Irish Nightwish has come out with some good stuff like The Islander and Last of the Wild. Another band i love is the Silly Wizzards. awesome Irish band. have an insane violinist. tempest, wicked tinkers, and the brown sisters are all really good bands. seen em all live in california where they host events like Scottish games. i miss it  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:10 pm
♔ I think I'm going to go check those out!
Anything with fiddle in it calls to me, lol!

Ugh, upon hearing Scottish Games, I feel horrible, lol!
My town was having some games last August, and I was so excited!!
So what happened? I missed it. >.<

User Image

LittleKaiju

Captain

Questionable Browser

Crap Sandwich

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:29 pm
I like both and I keep my fix of irish music on my phone and my zune. I also have the soundtracks for lord of the dance and celtic tiger on my zune.. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:40 pm
♔ - Gasp! - Familiar bands / groups!
My ex-boyfriend gave me a copy of the Lord of Dance sound track last Christmas. My favorite? American Wake. ^^ It's all on my iPod.
I've heard of Celtic Tigers. Never heard them though.
My favorite band of all time has got to be Celtic Thunder. - melts - xDD
Celtic Woman is okay. . . I dunno.
Celtic Woman vs. Celtic Thunder everyone's been saying.
Girls vs. Boys.

- reminds self to get a Celtic Thunder ringtone -

User Image

LittleKaiju

Captain

Questionable Browser

Crap Sandwich

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:06 am
Celtic tiger is the name of Michael Flatleys new gig its pretty cool because the song celtic tiger is all guitar and irish dance its pretty popin fresh... 3nodding I also like Flogging Molly and Gaelic Storm....i like to sing along to suil a ruin...yep im special.

THERES AN IRISH FESIVAL in jacksonville next weekend i can't wait i can finally get a hoodie that says Ireland on it and see my friend meg dance!!!!  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:04 pm
That reminded me of a shirt i wanted so bad. it said "On the eight day God created whiskey to keep the Irish from taking over the world!"
Damn this is making me miss california. im trying to get my mom to organize some Scottish Games up here in Montana. Though theres this one girl here who is amazing at celtic violin. im gonna take lessons as soon as i get a fiddle myself. but right now im a guitarist.

Hmm. im gonna have to listen to all those bands. the only ones i recognize are Flogging Molly and Celtic Women  

Nathaniel Denieers
Crew

LittleKaiju

Captain

Questionable Browser

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:47 pm
♔ Yay!! Discussion!!! <33 ^^

- I had this sweatshirt I really wanted from an old Irish shop in the town next door. Buut - a girl at school had it; and no one really liked her too much, and she wore it every day. Silly thing to let get to me, but she did some really strange things first year. o.o
- Kaarii!! Go go go! An Irish Festival will be your highlight of the year!!! o.o
- Nathaniel - you should defiantly organize some Scottish Games! God, I desperately want to go to one! I'll have to wait for this year's. I love the pipes, fiddles, kilts, and all the events! It's heaven!!! <3 My fiddle broke. ;.; I'm trying to find a good, sturdy one and a new teacher. You have to find a specific fiddle teacher, not violin - my mistake. I play the piano now (10 years); I used to play the guitar. Lost interest.

- I know Flogging Molly. They're okay; cool. I like one of two of their songs, but I haven't heard many. I'll defiantly check out Celtic Tigers! I love Michael! And I'll check out Gaelic Storm. ^^ I always sing to Suil a Ruin!!! Lol! ^^

User Image

Our Irish Community

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces