Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply Philosophy Threads
If you could live forever, would you? (Life is not immortal)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Smartteaser192

1,200 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Statustician 100
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:30 am
My answer is:

would not want, because we are destined to die. 60 to 100 years will be fine, but immortality will defeat the purpose of our mission here on Earth. If there is a beginning then there must be an ending. In some ways, we will die anyway because ever-lasting importance doesn't exist. Immortality alters the resonance of life by drastically increasing population which results the boom of overpopulation. Take note on the consequences of overpopulation. Elixirs and panaceas of immortality alters the genetics of humanity. We may end up mutated with other enigmatic body parts. It is impossible to destroy the natural process of ageing for it is inevitable. Death is inevitable, no matter what happens, it will come. The number of escapes we have will not matter. Longevity is better than immortality. Also, everything will be scarce. That includes all natural resources. Eternal immunity from death is extremely unnatural. This means that those who don't want to let go with life will unfortunately end up as a roving spirits (Ghosts) on Earth.

Further explanation: Let nature takes its pace, not the unnatural entities. I would like to go deeper now. Humans tend to be very bored when they go beyond the ordinary supercentenarian age. They would feel that depression has taken its climax. It will always be the same. Actually, the body is actually the cage of the spirit. It is what I call Eternal Embodiment, which is impossible. Vulnerability, stamina and tolerance of dangers will always tame down the body. I would not like to be the oldest person with unnatural causes of immortality. This embodiment is torture, excruciation, and extreme deprivation. The spirit in that body wants to escape but can't because of unnatural longevity. I am sure that the biblical Methuselah has experienced all of these already. No man has the right to be immortal. Anyways, we will die when this universe ends. So, shortcuts are better than the labryinths of immortality. Remember, DEATH is inevitable and we can't take that end out of our lifetime. Eternal existence will obviously end with extremely delayed death. Nothing has everlasting importance.

Any reactions or refuting opinions?  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:15 pm
My answer is:
I would take it. I do not believe we have any set mission or purpose here on Earth. If I am bound to die, I will die, but I would take the opportunity to live endlessly in a heart-beat (...or maybe two).

The only point of yours I would debate is "death" being inevitable. If there is some force that grants individuals immortality (and has been proven i.e. attempts to kill the person and so on) then the question of weather or not death is inevitable or not is to be put on the table. Maybe people would be the one exception just as there are baceria that have been here since the beginning of time and still are present in our World. We would have yet to find out weather or not there is an end to some things.  

x3 SuGarr CoOkiie

Zarfione

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:28 pm
I do not want to live forever on Earth,for our existence here is for something.We are given time to do what we need to do.Death comes to fetch us,but it is not the end,but a new beginning as a soul.Eternity is possible for trees,giving it all its needs.If the our Sun does die(which it would,so basically eternity isn't possible)  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:01 pm
If other people were going to live forever, then no.

If other people weren't going to live forever, then yes.

~edit for clarificatoin
If too many people were going to live forever, our planet probaly couldn't take it; our population would grow even faster because people wouldn't die. Only a handfull of people like that could exist.

If I was going to be the only one to live forever, then I would take that offer without thinking twice.

Of course some might argue, "Well would you do it if you had to sell your soul... Kill your best friend... be the last one alive..."

But that's really off topic.
No price for living forever was stated in the question.  

27x
Crew

Phatts McDangle

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 11:53 pm
I wouldn't want to, because death is the greatest mystery, and I eventually want to find out what (if anything) happens next.  
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 4:05 am
I would most likely take it but treat it as a curse. To be able to aid and help those in need far out-weighs my suffering. To see humanity be able to reach a near peak in happiness would be worth seeing.  

Skanky Randy

Philosophy Threads

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff