Welcome to Gaia! ::

Our Irish Community

Back to Guilds

Open to Irish, anyone interested in Ireland, and even non-Irish! [Roleplays, debates, minishops - and more!] 

Tags: Irish, Ireland, roleplay, minishops, community 

Reply Our Irish Community
GOOD IRISH MOVIES????????

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Gee Bag Face

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 7:09 am
Any one know any good irish movies..??

i love

arrow ADAM & PAUL

arrow CRUSHPROOF

arrow ACCELERATOR

arrow KISSES

arrow THE SNAPPER

arrow THE VAN

arrow DISCO PIGS

arrow SONG FOR A RAGGY BOY

arrow THE MAGDALENE SISTERS

ANY1 NAME ANY OTHER ONES??  
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 4:48 pm
* The Wind that Shakes
the Barley

* Waking Ned Divine
>.> . . .

User Image

LittleKaiju

Captain

Questionable Browser

[taste.me]

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 1:46 pm
if you're into music Once is good! story line isnt good but the music is!  
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 8:31 pm
lol The Snapper. That is one of the most foul mouthed movies ever XD

I don't think it's irish made, but try Angela's Ashes. It's a film of the book by Frank McCourt, and it's soooo funny. Well funny in a dark way I guess. The actual book itself is a lot more light hearted, but the movie is still good.  

Naeryl

Gee Bag Face

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 5:03 am
Naeryl
lol The Snapper. That is one of the most foul mouthed movies ever XD

I don't think it's irish made, but try Angela's Ashes. It's a film of the book by Frank McCourt, and it's soooo funny. Well funny in a dark way I guess. The actual book itself is a lot more light hearted, but the movie is still good.

ah yeah dats a good one....

ha yeah the snapper.... thats what i love about our movies they dont try hide anything or make things look better.... they just show it how it is.....  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:36 pm
Secret of Roan Inish. It's an American Film. It's also based on a Scottish novel.

It's also one of the few American films set in Ireland that actually passes, in my book, as being Irish and not merely set there. You know how that goes, filmmakers will set a movie in another country, throw in some cultural things, but at heart it's obviously an American film? This really is different. It's not let's bring our American people from Hollywood there, and say it's Irish. This is the director going to Ireland with his money and deciding he'll make an Irish film.

Did the same thing for his South American films.  

Matt Pniewski

LittleKaiju

Captain

Questionable Browser

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:51 pm
â™” Hello! Welcome to OIC~!
I've heard of the Secret of Roan Inish! Isn't that the film about the girl, and the black seal in the basket? I was going to watch that one!

And I 100% understand what you mean about the filmmakers. Far and Away was an american film, but they advertised it as an "Irish Film." Sure, yes, it 'may' have been filmed in Ireland (though I doubt it) and has so much Irish history in there, but that doesn't make it 100% Irish. I really wish they wouldn't fool us. What will happen when these movies get sold in Ireland? Who is to say, but when I go out on the hunt for a true Irish movie, I don't want to get some american film posing as pure Irish soil. >.<

User Image

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:35 pm
A_n_n_a
â™” Hello! Welcome to OIC~!
I've heard of the Secret of Roan Inish! Isn't that the film about the girl, and the black seal in the basket? I was going to watch that one!

And I 100% understand what you mean about the filmmakers. Far and Away was an american film, but they advertised it as an "Irish Film." Sure, yes, it 'may' have been filmed in Ireland (though I doubt it) and has so much Irish history in there, but that doesn't make it 100% Irish. I really wish they wouldn't fool us. What will happen when these movies get sold in Ireland? Who is to say, but when I go out on the hunt for a true Irish movie, I don't want to get some american film posing as pure Irish soil. >.<

User Image

Well, you aren't going to get a True Irish film, because even Waking Ned Devine was made with Hollywood Dollars. When I talk to my uncle who lives in Ireland about the film industry, his statement is 'There is none.' Most of the money behind Irish cinema comes from America and England.

Then again, who cares? You gotta movie, get the money from where ever you can, really.

I personally don't care what the country of origin for the movie is. If it's supposed to take place in Depression Era Chicago, it should capture that. If it's Ireland, it should do that too. It shouldn't be we made it Chicago or we made it Ireland. It should come off as 'This is the place, this is the time, ect' regardless.

Yeah, Secret of Roan Inish is about Selkies. It's really good. But then again, I'm a shameless John Sayles fanboy.  

Matt Pniewski

Scottie2010

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:40 pm
Ok I am going to sound like a total dork, but has anyone seen Brendan and the Secret of Kells? I am trying to find it, but I don't think that it is out in America.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:43 pm
No, but I must see it! I've followed the production on it.... I heard about it at a Folk Festival after telling some Irish stories (Which I don't do very often, my specialty is Modern American Folklore.... ).  

Matt Pniewski

pms_rampage

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:13 pm
One of the best irishmovies i ever say was THE BOONDOCK SAINTS xd
if you 've seen plzz respond and tell how ausome it is and don't disrespect the movie in anyway plzz that is a beloved movie by alot and i'm hoping there coming out with the sequel this either summer fall or winter it's hopefully going to be great!!!!!!!!  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:12 pm
Matt Pniewski
No, but I must see it! I've followed the production on it.... I heard about it at a Folk Festival after telling some Irish stories (Which I don't do very often, my specialty is Modern American Folklore.... ).

Yea I seriously want to see it. I read somewhere that it is supposed to come to America, maybe and If and when it does, my friends and I are going to go see it. O.O I absolutely love folklore!!!  

Scottie2010

Owen1729

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:23 am
The General biggrin  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:49 am
pms_rampage
One of the best irishmovies i ever say was THE BOONDOCK SAINTS xd
if you 've seen plzz respond and tell how ausome it is and don't disrespect the movie in anyway plzz that is a beloved movie by alot and i'm hoping there coming out with the sequel this either summer fall or winter it's hopefully going to be great!!!!!!!!

That's an American Movie made a complete a*****e. And it sucks.

Brendan and the Secret of Kells got the Best Animated Feature nomination. Probably for no reason other than to make people know it exists. Be that as it may, we can expect a lot more interest in that movie in the months to come regardless of if it wins (which, by the way, it won't. Every film nominated was MUCH better).  

Matt Pniewski

Pennywise the Third

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 8:15 pm
Damn, I've got to see these. All of them sound good.  
Our Irish Community

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games