Reply Deathrock
Is it just me Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Marximum Philocity

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:55 pm
Or do people really need to let deathrock die? The genre seems to be getting worse and worse. It seems like most of the new bands are horrible. and the few decent ones are repetitive and really only have two different songs, but 29303290 variations of them. we need an amazing band to come along and save the day, or people need to stop making deathrock. i'd hope for the first option, but death seems more likely.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:32 pm
Unfortunately, yes. The same goes with Goth Rock in general to some extent, seeing that the bands out there are getting crappier or are steering away from it in entirety and just suck out loud. xp  

Spooky Steve

Metranil Vavin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:03 pm
I'm pretty sure it's mostly dead at this point anyway. On the rare occasion that a new band does form, they're not very good and are broken up within 6 months.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:06 pm
Metranil Vavin
I'm pretty sure it's mostly dead at this point anyway. On the rare occasion that a new band does form, they're not very good and are broken up within 6 months.
There are still too many trying to revive it, for it to be dead. I think the worst I've heard so far is "Strange Doll Cult"

Also I've always considered anything past the late 90s to be deathrock, so in my eyes goth rock is d-d-d-dead and buried.  

Marximum Philocity

Metranil Vavin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:07 pm
Everythings Gone Green
Metranil Vavin
There are still too many trying to revive it, for it to be dead. I think the worst I've heard so far is "Strange Doll Cult"

Also I've always considered anything past the late 90s to be deathrock, so in my eyes goth rock is d-d-d-dead and buried.

Strange Dolls Cult isn't that bad, for a Deadchovsky knockoff.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:00 pm
Th only decent semi-deathrock band I have heard in a while is Darlings' Cabinet of Sundry Horror... I think Deathrock as an active culture is mostly dead

I am more hopeful that something new will come along, something that re-inspires the ethic of Deathrock. But I mean like a new subculture entirely. Something dark, innovative, distinctive, artistic, and with some ******** talent lol.

I wanna start a band like that...I think with the right people I could  

ZombieGinsberg
Crew

Marximum Philocity

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:37 pm
xChrisThePanda
Th only decent semi-deathrock band I have heard in a while is Darlings' Cabinet of Sundry Horror... I think Deathrock as an active culture is mostly dead

I am more hopeful that something new will come along, something that re-inspires the ethic of Deathrock. But I mean like a new subculture entirely. Something dark, innovative, distinctive, artistic, and with some ******** talent lol.

I was in a post-punk/power electronics bad that was all of the above. But then the guy in charge of percussion had to die in a car wreck and the guitarist/noise guy decided to start a family. emo

I'm just going to do what every other goth musician has done. and trade in my skills in goth rock/deathrock for a post-punk revival or noise-rock band.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:25 am
The big problem with deathrock right now is that all the bands who come around are trying so hard to be like the classics that they come off as unoriginal and bland. People need to get a kick in the a** and do something new for a change, or else let the genre die for a while.

Goth isn't doing too bad by comparison. Because it's so thoroughly shattered into a million subgenres, it releases some of the pressure and opens things up for crossovers and new innovation. Plus there's always the revival groups (Golden Apes, etc.) if you want that.  

GilAskan

Spooky Steve

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:52 am
From what I've noticed, new 'Deathrock' bands are becoming more synthy which ruins it for me. The newer bands are starting to sound less like Christian Death and more like The Birthday Massacre. Do not want. xp  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:09 pm
Everythings Gone Green
xChrisThePanda

I was in a post-punk/power electronics bad that was all of the above. But then the guy in charge of percussion had to die in a car wreck and the guitarist/noise guy decided to start a family. emo

I'm just going to do what every other goth musician has done. and trade in my skills in goth rock/deathrock for a post-punk revival or noise-rock band.

I would have really liked to hear that and I'm sorry about your percussionist

I wanna start a band when I move out to New York...Something free form you know? I want something with a cabaret/bluesy/goth-rock sound but I also want to incorporate something very mildly electronic a dub-esque but still raw sounding...Overall I know all of that probably won't be able to happen but I think if enough people with different backgrounds get together and can get along they can do big things. I mean look at Bauhaus each member brought something extraordinaly different to the group and they weren't afraid to try new stuff, which is one reason that they are one of my favorite groups right next to David Bowie.  

ZombieGinsberg
Crew

ZombieGinsberg
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:11 pm
Spooky Steve
From what I've noticed, new 'Deathrock' bands are becoming more synthy which ruins it for me. The newer bands are starting to sound less like Christian Death and more like The Birthday Massacre. Do not want. xp

I love The Birthday Massacre lol
But I know what you mean
I think it's because synth has alot to offer and is getting more recognized lately  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:38 pm
xChrisThePanda
Spooky Steve

But I know what you mean
I think it's because synth has alot to offer and is getting more recognized lately
There's a few songs I like but everything else I just can't get into. The Electronic music scene is flourishing whereas Deathrock is pretty much dead. As technology continues advancing, electronic music (as far as sound quality goes, not so much the music itself) gets better and better. Pretty much, Deathrock is dead and in fifty years everyone will be listening to Lady Gaga ripoffs.  

Spooky Steve

Adonais is Dead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:46 pm
It's not just you! The bands are getting stale because their motives are off. Back in the late 70's/early 80's when musicians were breaking away from predictable punk and beginning to embellish and discover their own sound, post-punk was experimental. No one knew where they were headed. Now-a-days, that we have a much clearer distinction of what goth music is and isn't, musicians are getting into the game with pre-established intentions of what audience they will appeal to, and what sound the need to have to do so. It seems that people are more enchanted with the idea of being in and playing for a 'scene' than they are with creating innovative art. The post-punks left punk behind in order to begin something new; maybe that same motive is necessary before we see any change in the direction of the current music happenings. (I am being intentionally vague)
Also, things tend to travel in waves. It won't be too long before people get so bored that they (and hopefully, having enough diy ethic) will create, too.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:38 am
Yeah, a good portion of the new generation of deathrock bands aren't quite as interesting ... a lot of 'em sound too slick production-wise and the songwriting stays too true to the genre (as Queen Pest kinda mentioned), that it can be repetitive and uninspired. Like you know... this "we gotta stay true to the roots or the fans won't like us and we're not legit" thing.

There's some bands out there that I really do adore though... Another Species, Darling's Cabinet of Sundry Horror, Katzenjammer Kabarett, Draconian Incubus, and some others.

And with the mention of synths, it's cool if they blend it in and do a good job at it. But like, I do hear a lot of this.... sequenced track of a single poorly distorted electronic loop that sounds kinda just thrown in. Me usually no likes that!  

Shadowolf

Vice Captain

ZombieGinsberg
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:40 pm
Spooky Steve
xChrisThePanda
Spooky Steve

But I know what you mean
There's a few songs I like but everything else I just can't get into. The Electronic music scene is flourishing whereas Deathrock is pretty much dead. As technology continues advancing, electronic music (as far as sound quality goes, not so much the music itself) gets better and better. Pretty much, Deathrock is dead and in fifty years everyone will be listening to Lady Gaga ripoffs.

Nah synth won't be on top for that long

There is a 20 year cycle to all mainstream trends in music

Like in the 80's it was mostly New Wave or Hair Metal on the radio both started small and underground got HUGE big labels picked up any excuse for a band that fit their image ((Like scene now tbqh)) People love it, over a few years it sounds the same, people get tired of it and start moving underground. By the late 80's New Rock and Grunge was starting to get noticed and by the early to mid 90's both genres were in full swing and being popularized and got big but were still underground and open to change. By 2000 it had gotten stale and people got sick of it and now we are in the techno/synthy swing that was more underground in the 90's.

So we are still in the open expiremental stage and wihin the next 5-10 years it will get UBER-stale and the mainstream will migrate away from it.  
Deathrock

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff