Explaining Deathrock Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 6 7 8 9 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

ZombieGinsberg
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:27 pm
I have a friend at school who is pretty much only interested in metalcore, deathcore, deathmetal, and Dubstep. He's a cool guy despite that so we talk about the music we listen to alot. I had mentioned that Peter Murphy was an idol along with Rozz williams and a couple of others. He said he had no clue who they were. I told him about Bauhaus and the several bands of Rozz and he said he had never heard of them. I live in a hick town so this isn't that surprising. So I said they were part of the deathrock movement in the 70's and 80's and I named off some bands. The basics pretty much; Bauhaus, Boys Next Door, Birthday Party, Alien Sex Fiend, Sex Gang Children, Christian Death, etc.. He said at first "is it like Deathcore?" I responded with hell no an when I tried to explain what deathrock was I couldn't say really...so many of the old bands were so incredibly different I ended up having to explain the bands individually. Paul just responded with "So like The Misfits?" I gave up and loaned him my shitty burned copy of In The Flat Field that I happened to have on me.

So how would you explain what deathrock is in a situation like that... Could you?  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:33 pm
gonk No I probably wouldn't, because I'd probably go with something lame and it'd be better to just keep my mouth shut anyway.  

Six Bells Chime
Crew

Dangerous Phantom

ZombieGinsberg
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:37 pm
I personally love that I can't define deathrock.

Because I like expiremental music and I like originality above all else.

That's why most of my current bands are indie groups  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:47 pm
Deathrock is the combination of goth rock/post-punk and a little more energy borrowed from punk than goth rock which is what differentiates the two. Horror Punk is aesthetically similar to deathrock but draws more influence from American punk, namely early hardcore acts in NY and LA.

When explaining it to him I would avoid using the term goth since post-punk in the end has the same relevance and is less taboo/is idiot retardant for stereotypes and "omg marlyn mansun n evanescence n nitewish". Don't even bother trying to explain Batcave to him though, just lump it together so his head doesn't explode.  

Good Heroine
Crew

-Resurrected Writer-
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:57 pm
Post-punk with a macabre aesthetic.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:17 pm
Lol like I said I gave up

I gave him my Bauhaus copy and gave him a few band name

lol no one can explain Batcave

I dunno I just couldn't said oh it's like (insert band or genre) because it was unique and the bands who got recognition were unique. I mean even when you say goth-rock no one can know what that really was by an explanation until they listen to it.  

ZombieGinsberg
Crew

Creep_Show13

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:42 am
Punks call us goths, goths call us punks. We're a little of both, but neither.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:29 am
Hmm, well, the general sound has focused on being bleak, spooky, dreary, and/or mania-driven. It took cues of atmosphere from post-punk and the harder pace of punk rock, its topics fit right between the whole bitter existential/nihilistic post-punk themes, and the campy horrorpunk stuff.

You can make him a mix CD. (And be sure to include Another Species because they rock!)  

Shadowolf

Vice Captain

ZombieGinsberg
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:04 am
Creep_Show13

XD
I think that's the best way I've heard tbqh

Also, to Shadowolf:

I wish I could make more deathrock CDs but I'm broke and frostwire sucks and my comp won't let me download any other download site...sucks

I just let him listen to my copy of In The Flat Feild that I happened to have in my CD case along with my portable CD player

that's right no mp3 player for me coz I'm cool cool

...and poor  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:31 pm
xChrisThePanda
Creep_Show13

XD

Also, to Shadowolf:

I wish I could make more deathrock CDs but I'm broke and frostwire sucks and my comp won't let me download any other download site...sucks

Did you try any of the links in the guild? Surely you can download from mediafire, or zshare or divshare or rapidshare or something...
Then if that works, use Captain Crawl
http://www.captaincrawl.com/  

Death of Cool

GilAskan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:46 am
I've given a few descriptions, some of which work better than others. The one I've been using more recently is that it's a reconstruction of punk in a goth-rock sense. Punk plus intellect and musicianship created post-punk. Post-punk plus macabre aesthetic and themes created goth-rock. Goth-rock plus an additional chunk of that original ingredient of punk created death-rock.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:25 pm
xChrisThePanda
Creep_Show13

XD

that's right no mp3 player for me coz I'm cool cool

...and poor

I used that explanation to one of my friends, then made her listen to OToP. She understood it and now loves rozz >.>

any way I want ane awesome pertable cd player like I had when I was a little kid but they're impossible to find around here (especially a good ones)  

Spoopy-bat

O.G. Gaian

8,550 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Wall Street 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

Deathrocker P I

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:54 pm
Creep_Show13
Steve Rotter of Red Lipstick Death
Punks call us Goth... Goths call us Punk... Deathrock

Great minds, eh? xD

I usually go with
Deathrocker P.I.
Think of cheesy Halloween organs played with punky guitar, groovy bass, simple drums, crazy vocals, and spooky lyrics.

Considering most people around here think Manson and Green Day when Goth and Punk are mentioned.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:27 pm
Deathrocker P I
Creep_Show13
Steve Rotter of Red Lipstick Death
Punks call us Goth... Goths call us Punk... Deathrock

Great minds, eh? xD

I usually go with
Deathrocker P.I.
Think of cheesy Halloween organs played with punky guitar, groovy bass, simple drums, crazy vocals, and spooky lyrics.

Considering most people around here think Manson and Green Day when Goth and Punk are mentioned.

I live in hillbilly hell
the only reason they don't think that about goth is because I did a speech on the 80's (did it on 80s goth and deathrock) then I let some listen to my iPod, they got it pretty quickly

I got a 97% cool  

Spoopy-bat

O.G. Gaian

8,550 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Wall Street 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Deathrock

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 6 7 8 9 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash