Reply Philosophy Threads
Can time stop? Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Kahri

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 3:57 pm
If time exists, could it stop? Would we be aware of it stopping? I can't imagine time stopping, it just seems like it couldn't.

EDIT: If time did stop, would it be possible for it to start up again?
In order for something to start, doesn't time have to be in operation?

Did time always exist? Could it have began? funny, the phrase "since the beginning of time"  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 5:22 pm
did time exist before we did? or is it just something we made up...it's diffiult to think of it that way, because it is a definitive constant in our universe...(er...i phrased that kinda weird...)  

Eilea

Faroresama
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 5:59 pm
To put it bluntly, nope! Thinking, as well as any cognitive process relies on time. If time stopped you'd have no idea that it did because alllllllll the particles which make your brain work would stop too!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 9:54 am
Faroresama
To put it bluntly, nope! Thinking, as well as any cognitive process relies on time. If time stopped you'd have no idea that it did because alllllllll the particles which make your brain work would stop too!

yeah that's kinda what i think
well, wait, that doesn't mean that it can't stop...that just means you wouldn't know razz
so, for all we know...time could be stopping every millisecond...for...well, i would say "a few hours", but..that defeats the purpose xp
and...i came up with this whole theory on why i think time travel is impossible...because it would screw with memory too much...and it would have to be decided beforehand that somebody would travel through time, and i don't really believe in predestination...and stuff..er..yeah...
sorry about that little rant...i'm just going on so many rants today...geebus... whee  

Eilea

Faroresama
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 8:31 pm
Yeah, I totally know what you're saying. I was answering the 'would we be aware of it?' part because I already had an opinion about it. heh.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 9:14 pm
Eilea
did time exist before we did? or is it just something we made up...it's diffiult to think of it that way, because it is a definitive constant in our universe...(er...i phrased that kinda weird...)

Not really... member Einstein? Maybe psycologically, but as far as phsics is concerned, it seems that time slows as you speed up.  

Kahri

PhilosophyMind
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 10:50 am
Time is just a name that we created. Therefore, it could have existed forever. Or maybe it started when we created it. It's a very complex thing. Because we have to find something that explains what passed when an apple was decaying. Or why a human gets old and dies. So we discover time. Or call it time. Time that passes by.

Gah. I'm not sure that made much sense at all. Didn't make much sense to me.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 3:31 pm
PhilosophyMind
Time is just a name that we created. Therefore, it could have existed forever. Or maybe it started when we created it. It's a very complex thing. Because we have to find something that explains what passed when an apple was decaying. Or why a human gets old and dies. So we discover time. Or call it time. Time that passes by.

made plenty of sense 3nodding
yeah, so many things seem just like..something that humans created the idea of to define something without a real...definition.....
god, time, space, nothing, color....reality...  

Eilea

PhilosophyMind
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 2:43 pm
Eilea
PhilosophyMind

made plenty of sense 3nodding
yeah, so many things seem just like..something that humans created the idea of to define something without a real...definition.....
god, time, space, nothing, color....reality...

Yes! I made something like sense! And exactly! That's why I believe that a majority of things are created with the help of the mind. Just imagine, what would life be like if our minds weren't as 'advanced' as they were? What if we thought the way cats do? Or mice?  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 6:30 pm
PhilosophyMind

Yes! I made something like sense! And exactly! That's why I believe that a majority of things are created with the help of the mind. Just imagine, what would life be like if our minds weren't as 'advanced' as they were? What if we thought the way cats do? Or mice?

*sigh* sometimes i wish we did...
sometime i believe the saying "ignorance is bliss"  

Eilea

PhilosophyMind
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 8:09 pm
Eilea
PhilosophyMind

*sigh* sometimes i wish we did...
sometime i believe the saying "ignorance is bliss"

I sometimes wish I were still a small child. That way I'd have no responsibilities and I could spend my time exploring the world.

I don't wish for ignorance. Just free time. Time to play. Time to discover. Time to learn. With my own rules.  
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 7:40 pm
Hi guys! This is my first post...I was just accepted into the guild. Anyway...here it goes. I personally take a more functional view of time (there is a more specific term for this but I don't remember what it is) is that we actually did make it up for purely functional purposes. There are transcendental truths, but time is not one of them. It is measured by change (so I think...I haven't really spent much time on this question) and persistence, can this be a question for Berkeley similar to the tree falling and not making a sound? It seems like if there was no one there to observe the passing of time or exist IN time, then time wouldn't exist. heart  

Gloomcookie the Vicious

Lord Sutekh

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 2:24 am
What is controling the freezing of time? Time can stop and we wouldn't know it, For all we know time could've stopped while i was writing this and it has taken me several hundred years to write this simple paragraph.  
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 7:14 pm
Seth_God
What is controling the freezing of time? Time can stop and we wouldn't know it, For all we know time could've stopped while i was writing this and it has taken me several hundred years to write this simple paragraph.

Well, time in its most basic form is relative. Between one second and the next there are an infinite amount of moments, the same way that there is an infinite number of points between one millimeter and the next.  

Faroresama
Crew

Poshdom

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 3:41 pm
Time is existent in the case that I can tell time, I can read time, and that what I'm doing now is different than what I'll be doing in about 3 seconds. Its like, There is a there, until you get there, then it becomes a here.  
Philosophy Threads

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff