Reply The American Military Guild
the XM8 Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

TurinTurambarSonOfHurin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 8:48 pm
if any of you guys know anything about the possible new standard issue, here's the place  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 8:55 pm
like if it has been used yet or anything like that  

TurinTurambarSonOfHurin

SundaySinner77

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 1:45 pm
The XM8 is suppoesly going to replace the M16 in the future. It's officially on hold right now. DOD has opened the floor up to other companies to compete against the XM8. The replacement of the SAW and pistol are deamed of greater importance.

It is (in theory) supposed to replace all of the weapons in a line squad, but not the M-240's in the weapons squad. It has the desginated marksman set-up as well. The XM8 is a lot easier to clean, but so is the M16. The M16 is pretty fast and easy to clean. Hell, five minutes or so and you can take a filthy rifle and have it clean enough. Another 10 minutes and you can have it ready to turn into the armory.

Unlike the current M4/M16 direct gas system with gast tube, the XM8 gas system does not introduce propellant gases and the associated carbon fouling back into the weapon's reciever during firing. This greatly incrases the realiability of the XM8 while at the same time reducing operator cleaning time by as much as 70%, but like I said before the M16 is pretty easy to clean as well. This system also allows the weapon to fire more than 15,000 rounds without lubrication or cleaning in even the worse operational enviorments. A cold hammered forged barrel will guarantee a minimum of 20,000 rounds service life. Plus it's adapitability is a major plus, in just 5 minutes one can turn their basic carbine rifle into a sniper rifle or whatever one may need.

The XM8 is based on the G36. It's supposed to be a good gun, but it's also competing against upgraded versions of the M4, which is a familiar system and would be less expensive to produce, and it is just as reliable as the FNC. XM8 is apparently less reliable and more fragile than first reported and it did not make any major improvements on the AR series of rifles that would justify it as a replacement. In the end it looks like the XM8 program is dead, according to most sources.

As of right now though it looks like it won't be replacing the M16 in the future. I hope my long post helped  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:46 am
curse you, rifle magaizine! you have fooled me with your tests of the said weapon!

besides, isn't the m16 very suceptible to dirt?  

TurinTurambarSonOfHurin

Xhaing

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 6:44 pm
does anyone have a pic of the XM8?  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 2:44 pm
have u seen the assault rifle from halo 2? it looks kinda like it, only black, and the stock is different.  

TurinTurambarSonOfHurin

Bossman Joe
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 2:50 pm
Capt. Confusticus
have u seen the assault rifle from halo 2? it looks kinda like it, only black, and the stock is different.
Isnt that rifle black too?  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 2:51 pm
no, it's a grayish silver

here's a link to a google image search, i have no idea how to show the pic on gaia, so...

http://images.google.com/images?q=xm8&hl=en&btnG=Search+Images

the second pic is quite informational  

TurinTurambarSonOfHurin

Boricua sniper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:44 pm
I've seen this rifle in a show.
they say that it has various modes such as:sniper mode,machine gun mode and rifle mode but you probably knew this...

anyway it could replace all US infantry weapons!  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:09 pm
Vasilev
I've seen this rifle in a show.
they say that it has various modes such as:sniper mode,machine gun mode and rifle mode but you probably knew this...

anyway it could replace all US infantry weapons!

Right now there is really no chance of that happening. The whole thing is pretty off.  

SundaySinner77

TurinTurambarSonOfHurin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 4:59 am
is that oppinion or fact?  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 5:59 am
Capt. Confusticus
is that oppinion or fact?

It's a fact. Last time I read the US Military has put the whole project on hold and right now there is hardly news on it anymore.

The fact is like I said in my long post the XM8 has yet to pass the testing requirements.

As a Marine I doubt the XM8 will really replace anything. I personally think the look of the weapon is stupid.  

SundaySinner77

TurinTurambarSonOfHurin

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 6:02 pm
i guess ill take your word for it  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:29 pm
is this thread gonna be deleted or what?  

TurinTurambarSonOfHurin

Bossman Joe
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:37 pm
No, unless you want me to delete it...  
The American Military Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items