Ophi's personal guide to bootlegs Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Ophiuchus
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 4:24 am
Okay, i've seen our member number grow, so i've decided to make a help guide for the less informed. No doubt you all WANT your anime series on DVD... Or model kits at a low price! yeah!
But, E-bay and alot of anime "import" stores do just sell bootlegs. Especially if its in a china town.

Know your DVD!
If you have in mind how the primary and reversable cover (if appliccable) of the real DVD looks, you won't have a problem. You can find these on the bandai site. (www.bandai-ent.com)
With that in mind, you'll be able to spot some of the outright fakes just by cover design.
but, what if you can't remember? Well, check the information on languages and region. The following information usually appears on bootleg DVD.
Region 0/ All Region/ Region Free
Japanese Language, English/ Chinese Subtitle

Remember... If it's an E-Bay item and it says "HK" or "Hong Kong Edition"... that's like saying "BOOTLEG OVER HERE!!"
Also, know your disk quantity. Gundam 0083 for instance was a 4 disk series. On E-bay, people sell "SPECIAL 2 DISK COLLECTOR EDITION!!" which also, funnily enough, has the region 0 part on it.
Bandai do NOT release region 0 DVD because they can make money with region coding.
Also, look at the box. Bandai DVD will have either the bandai logo on them or the Bandai shaped words with "Bandai Entertainment" on.
If you live within England or the United Kingdom, and perhaps some parts of Europe, your distributor is known as Beez, not Bandai. It's okay, Beez has the license to release Gundam on our shores. It's the real deal.
Also, remember boxed sets. Look at them. Let's take an example, now.
Gundam Wing box set....
This is the real one.
User Image
Language English/Japanese
Subtitle English
Format DVD
Running Time 1225 min
Suggested Age 13up
Episodes 1-49
Price $199.98
This information came from Bandai-ent. The box is an image of one side only, so you can't see the bandai logos. The DVDs inside look like the normal set.

Now, onto E-bay. First auction I see.
User Image
"Buy it now" price: $42.99
Complete TV Episode 1 - 49 complete + OVA ( 7 DVDs )
English/Japanese dialogue with English subtitle (on/off)
Region code: all code, region free
Video : 4:3 Letter Box
Audio : Dolby Digital Audio
Item is brand new, sealed, never been used
Compatible with Playstation 2

Things to note: can see the WHOLE box set. No bandai or bandai entertainment logo. No sunrise logo. Unidentified logo on top of DVD case (fake manufacturer maybe?) Now, this one is english. That makes a nice change... Notice: Region code is free. Bandai don't do that. PLUS OVA?? The ova was made after the series. The box set was released before the OVA was. This suggests this is a BOOTLEG before we even go onto the price! Look at it. It's got MORE than the real one. But it costs LESS. You gotta wonder why that is...

Second E-Bay acution (first one with a different set)
User Image
"Buy it now" price: $33.00
Condition: 100% brand new, Deluxe packing
No. of Disc: 6, (1-49 Episodes )
Dialogue: English/Japanese
Picture: 4:3
Subtitle: English/Chinese
Region Code: All code, region free
Sound: Dolby Digital Stereo

Again, chinese subtitles, region free, LOW NUMBER OF DISKS, fraction of original price, no Bandai or Bandai-ent logo. This is ALSO a bootleg... But, i'll give them points for such a neat cover.

Okay, that's about it for DVDs... Any more queries, ask here and i'll try to answer.

Now, onto Gunpla (Gundam Plastic Model, Also known as Gunplamo)
The main MAJOR culprit of bootleg Gunpla is a company called Bendi. The box art looks something like it should do. They've taken to using the word GODA instead of GUNDAM now. Here is a FAKE Dinn found on E-bay.
User Image
He costs only $3.00, and copies the style of the "ungraded" bandai kits.
Here is an image of the REAL bandai Dinn
User Image
The box looks the same as the fake. Only the bandai logo and the name at the top are different. This one was on sale for $6.00
The real difference is Bendi kits are frequently poorly moulded and need alot of work to even be buildable... and with the bad quality of the "ungraded" bandai models as it is, the bendi "ungraded" kits must be 10 times worse!  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 10:17 pm
Oh, but some bootleg stuff is fun. I bought a G Gundam boxset, knowing it was Hong Kong sub and its one of the funniest things I own. sweatdrop They have some of the weirdest subtitles. Then again, that could just be me and my friends, we get a kick out of those things. sweatdrop  

GenkiDenki

Friendly Phantom

6,450 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Medalist 100

Char350

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 10:35 pm
Fun thing is that the Chinese subtitles are totally flawless. Laugh at the English subs all you want, since they weren't made by English speakers or English speakers.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 4:13 am
I made this because i'm a frequent e-bayer (already reached my monthly limit!) and I go hunting for fakes to see if theres any new fakes. The seed box set fakers have been getting pretty fancy lately.  

Ophiuchus
Captain

Kamille Bidan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 8:38 am
Ophiuchus
I made this because i'm a frequent e-bayer (already reached my monthly limit!) and I go hunting for fakes to see if theres any new fakes. The seed box set fakers have been getting pretty fancy lately.

Gundam Zeta.. Much to my dismay crying It cost, with shipping, like 35$. The subs do indeed suck. The first dvd was hardly even subbed, only a few quotes here and there. However, disks 2-5 were pretty near flawless. I was impressed.. Until disk 6. Its as though they used a thesaurus for every word they translated.. And they didnt show an understanding for English at all.. Like subbing "You fellow!" instead of "Damn you!"

Ah those Japanese.. rolleyes  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 4:35 pm
Kamiyu-Bidan
Ophiuchus

Gundam Zeta.. Much to my dismay crying It cost, with shipping, like 35$. The subs do indeed suck. The first dvd was hardly even subbed, only a few quotes here and there. However, disks 2-5 were pretty near flawless. I was impressed.. Until disk 6. Its as though they used a thesaurus for every word they translated.. And they didnt show an understanding for English at all.. Like subbing "You fellow!" instead of "Damn you!"

Ah those Japanese.. rolleyes
I've watched 08th ms team subbed by Asians before. The end scene about minovsky reactors goes as follows: "Mobile suit has nuclear reactors, right? If one were to explode by accident..."
"What are you saying?"
xd I was like "Yeah, I wanna know what he's saying too."  

Cagalli Yura Attha
Crew

NOMable

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 8:46 am
These guides are pretty useful, considering that I live in a place that have a lot of bootlegs on the streets. Thanks man. 3nodding

ZAFUTO NO TAMINI!
[Correction by manager: ZAFT NO TAMENI. "No Tameni" means "for the sake of", Tamini is not a word, although Katamini means "together", remember, it's "for Zaft" in the English version.]  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 1:04 pm
's ok, I try to pass on my EXP as much as possible.  

Ophiuchus
Captain

NOMable

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 7:25 pm
EXP good!  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 5:29 pm
hi umm I got a box of gundam seed vcd's for my b-day it has a picture of justice(I think) and kira and athrun on the cover It has japanese and mandarin audio and english subtitle  

Archmage_Snorian

Ophiuchus
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 8:38 pm
Archmage_Snorian
hi umm I got a box of gundam seed vcd's for my b-day it has a picture of justice(I think) and kira and athrun on the cover It has japanese and mandarin audio and english subtitle
fake.
Keyword: VCD. Official Bandai US/UK release are region encoded English/ Japanese language, optional English subtitle DVD. And there are only 10 volumes.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 8:16 pm
yea, for that purpose I don't buy them here, and buy them over there
=)  

Vivio1412

siamknight

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 11:59 pm
Ophiuchus
Archmage_Snorian
fake.
Keyword: VCD. Official Bandai US/UK release are region encoded English/ Japanese language, optional English subtitle DVD. And there are only 10 volumes.

Yep totally fake because VCD are mainly used in Asia.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 8:07 pm
Way to post something totally redundant, siam.  

Ophiuchus
Captain

Sargonarhes

3,050 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 5:44 pm
I can tell you the most important reason to forget the bootlegs.
When Bandai released Zeta Gundam boxed set collection last year, dics #4 had a flaw on it around episode 19. And there was a large number of them, Bandai replaced the flawed disc. You get that on a bootleg and you're out the money you spent on it and don't have a good copy of it to boot.

And yes, flawed discs can happen more than you know. The licenses copy is an insurance to to know it's garentted.  
Gundam

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff