Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Art Shop Owners Coalition

Back to Guilds

Reply The Gaian Art Shop Owners Coalition
The Hangout....where sanity is overrated. Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 1133 1134 1135 1136 1137 1138 ... 1219 1220 1221 1222 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Abandoned Dreams
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:32 pm
Okay. I spent the last two hours adding to my Eragon rant and making it a bit more academic rather than emotional. If you read it before and found it remotely interesting, please go back and reread. I've added a lot of info and links.

Ashram - Well, that's hardly fair to the universe. You should have that man killed.

Iyou - Aww. xd That's understandable, though. Be strong!  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:27 pm
Very interesting rant, AD. I hadn't been following much of anything to do with Eragon (from what I've read, I suppose I'm glad I haven't), but the thought of someone getting away with plagiarism that blatant is enraging, to say the least. I don't want to make any more accusations until I've read the book myself, but... seeing all those green splats on rottentomatoes.com sure was amusing. xp

Ashram - Oh, that's terrible. confused I'm a chemistry major myself, and I can tell you that science isn't all about memorizing subclasses of plants (undoubtedly you know that yourself, though)... But teachers set out only to cut down the size of a student body really aren't teachers in my definition. If you want to limit the number of students in an area, use a placement test or something else not quite as personal or time-consuming. Sheesh. :/  

Iyou

T H I N N

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 6:36 am
AD & Iyou>> He's a double-edged sword, truthfully. He's a wake up call to the kinds of students who think they can easily coast through college like they did with high school while at the same time being an unfortunate twist of fate to students who know not to screw around. An extremely difficult balancing act if one aims to be "good" at that sort of thing. Serious as all-get-out kind of guy - "This is a part of biology, this is what you (unknowingly) signed up for." - just a lllliiiiitttttlllleee bit extreme. xp I was more than happy to pass that class and have it over and done with.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:48 am
AD> ...wow. I'm supposed to see it this friday with some friends. They read the books and they told me it was sort of a ripoff but that it was still good, but I had no idea it was that extensive. Right down to the color of the swords/lightsabers even. Are you gonna be using that journal repeatedly, or did you just make it for that?  

Alucard_

Abandoned Dreams
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:23 am
Iyou - What really gets under my skin is the fact that Paolini thinks he's a genius.

Alucard - Were you of age or were I more of a bad influence, I would recommend that you have a few drinks prior to going, just to get you through the mess. "Sort of" doesn't come close.

Um, I really did just sign up for Wordpress for that rant, but I rather like its style and how the blog is maintained. Plus, I had a blast researching and writing the rant, so who knows? Feel free to stalk if you like. Maybe I'll do something of interest. I surprise myself, sometimes.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:03 pm
!! I live.

Especially now that Christmas holidays start tomorrow. :3 And my last final ish tomorrow too.

FREE TIME!

*explodes*

I hate Christmas shoppers. Buggers need to get out of my mall.

Xalome

Chibi Koji

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:18 pm
Is it wrong to not like Paolini just because he's ugly? D: Having a crappy book is one thing; being fugly is just too much to overlook. I say this very sincerely. D:

AD~ Haha GooGOLD. 8D *Pun-slap.*
Does that mean I get my priveleges back, just once? :O

Haha, after lurking and reading all the talk about the movie/book, I go to school the next day to get a whopping faceful of "HOMG I LUUUV ERAGON" from all my underclassmen fans. I didn't know how to react (I try and be nice to them.) gonk

Iyou~ Hiii. :'D

Well, its officially down to the 0c around here. All my hoodies are just for show, they don't really protect me from anything. xD;; Let's hope I get to spend some time in the warmth of LA.
Damnit, I actually want the new xmas items. There goes my free time. D:

MACBETH SUXX.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:10 pm
Laitue - xd No 'sploding in the guild...kthx.

Koji - ROFL. I guess it's not a terribly good reason to hate him, but I won't argue. Of course, ugliness is only funny for a while. "Look at that guy, holy crap is he ugly. Wow." But STUPID people, I mean, come on. They keep coming up with new material. Ugly people are the same kind of ugliness all the time; it gets boring. But stupid people are always finding new ways to be stupid (in this case, coming out with newer, more terrible books).

You may have your privileges back for ONE search&post, as long as it does not involve ugly people. There, I said it.

You need to ditch all of them. Now. Find sane underlings.  

Abandoned Dreams
Captain

QAtheTenkou

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:08 am
I'd say I'm really, really sorry, but is it bad I'm not? xd Admittedly, I felt bad, and wanted to post, and missed this place, but I've been uber busy. And having fun. whee

Remember, I work for Wal-Mart and in Toys. surprised ZOMG war zone. I still wear the cape.

Work is the main reason I've not been posting. Been having overtime, and in my free time trying to Christmas shop. DEATH.

In the little bit of other free time I've spent trying to have a life. Including a lunch date with a gay guy. >>;;; I just thought we were going out to lunch and then he called it a date. sweatdrop

Yes, I'm stealing another man's man. But he doesn't treat him right. He left him alone on Thanksgiving! I got mad he didn't tell me until a few days before and insisted I'd have made him dinner, or invited him to my sister's. (He went to a married friend's.)

And since he's utterly fabulous, I already basically gave up. Settled for crushing horribly until time seperated us, and just being bestest friend ever. Only now he's essentially admitted he loves me just as much. But since I'm a girl he doesn't get why... *CONFUSED* You can't love someone unless there's a chance, right? *SO CONFUSED* UST eek

And now that the pointless things are out of the way, where's my snow? There's no freaking snow in Western New York! At Christmas! Sacrilege!

*So behind on conversations*

I bought Guitar Hero II. Freaking awesome! It has "Trogdor!" on it. rofl

At work, I've run around asking if people know what a "Tricorder" is. Only three, besides myself, do. O_o; Besides us, the others don't even know where it comes from. I can understand not watching "Star Trek", but not even heard of a "tricorder" or not knowing it comes from the show? That's like not knowing where "Beam me up, Scotty" comes from! domokun

*Still not seeing Eragon* And I can't wait for Friday. "Night at the Museum"! heart  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 4:42 am
I think something must be said in Eragon's defense! I mean, come on, this isn't your traditional dragons we're talking about here ... they're Eragons, with an E, which comes after D, so it must be better AND as you all know ... E stands for "excellent"! So these aren't those regular, ordinary dragons, but rather excellent dragons! How cool is that?

As if that's not cool enough, it also has this young boy whose going to grow up to be an eragon rider! So he'll be an Excellent Eragon Rider, much cooler than plain ol' Dragon Riders ... or Jedi for that matter. I mean, what kind of word is Jedi anyway? Jed die. Whoop-dee freakin' do! Who cares about some guy like Jed when there are eragons flying around! (or whatever it is they do)  

T H I N N

Iyou

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:44 am
Ashram - Your power over logic astounds me. Now I've truly seen the light. xd

QA - I still have yet to play Guitar Hero. gonk A grad student in my research group is obsessed with it, and he brought it to the last science convention we went to, but it turned out that the hotel TV's didn't have the right kind of plugs to hook up the PS2. I feel thoroughly cheated. crying

Koji - *luffs* heart

Laitue - Welcome back! :3  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:32 am
Ashram> XD

AD> I just found out we're seeing Night at the Museum instead. Apparently they heard how awful Eragon is. So, yay.  

Alucard_

Abandoned Dreams
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 2:31 pm
QA - Good to see you're surviving the holiday season (sort of). Hang in there! heart

OMFG TROGDOR?!?! Steal me a copy please?

Ashram - Ooookaaay. o.O Eragon is the protagonist...not the dragon... (EDIT: Or...huh. Never mind, I didn't actually specify that it's the boy's name in the rant. Huh.)

But, now I've got the phrase "Eragon rider" in my head and that seems very closely coupled with "*****." Thanks.

Alucard - YES! The system works! And Night at the Museum looked mildly entertaining. The idea is cliche, but still cute.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 6:06 pm
xd

Ashram: Like AD said. Eragon is not the dragon. The dragon is something weird with an S. And I think it's a girl.

AD: Good job. Now you've got me hating Eragon too! Not that it doesn't deserve it. I am tempted to borrow the book from a friend who has it just to see how good this Paolini really is.

Though I checked out his website and judging by the "About the Author" section he's very, very pompous. *gag*

After reading the plot summaries and such though, and reading that one of the authors he likes is David Eddings, it has occured to me he also seems to have borrowed bits and pieces from Eddings too. Eddings is my favorite author so this pisses me off a little.

If you've not read the books Eddings' series called The Belgariad then you should!
Spoilers if you do want to read it. But same basic plot in beginnning. Farm boys. Escapes farm. Finds out is only one who can save world. While Eragon turns out to be the last Dragon Rider, Garion turns out to be the last of a line of kings that an evil god and his disciple thought they had illiminated. Garion has to fight the evil god. He is guided by two very powerful and ancient wizards on this quest.

Considering Paolini has read this series, being as he lists Eddings as a favorite, I'd say it's a little suspicious.

Xalome

Abandoned Dreams
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:38 pm
Laitue - His writing is so awful, words almost fail me and I am reduced to instinctive retching. No comparisons even need to be made. It's that bad.

He's the most pompous, arrogant, self-righteous, self-important... stressed I have to stop, lest my head implode.

Nothing about Paolini is "a little suspicious." Every aspect of his stories is stolen - every single one. Read The Epistles over at Anti-Shur'tugal.com; they're incredibly pointed and hilarious in their mockery of Eragon and Eldest.  
The Gaian Art Shop Owners Coalition

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 1133 1134 1135 1136 1137 1138 ... 1219 1220 1221 1222 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games