Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Don't forget to read the rules!
  Polls are required in every thread. (:
View Results

The Master Saxon

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 6:55 pm
Rose, less of a nuience than that Martha girl.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 12:24 pm
you know, i really loved rose. i did. she was so full of character, and her dedication to the doctor was admirable. however, martha has finally grown on me. i just watched the family blood here in the states, and martha was so strong, and so firm, all by herself in a strange time. she was ALONE, genuinely alone, and she managed to take care of herself and the doctor, regardless of how he treated her, not only in human form, but in daily life as the doctor. the doctor hardly gives martha the respect she deserves. rose was a character i could relate to, but martha's one i can look up to. i genuinely like martha.  

Doctor Who of Gallifrey

deathcabforannie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:09 am
I like Rose more 3nodding . I cried my eyes out at the last episode with her in crying  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:21 am
At the time, I really liked Rose and didn't think anyone could replace her well. However, looking back on it, there's quite a lot that I missed first time around that makes her seem quite immature and spoilt.

First, there was her treatment of Mickey. The fact that she was obviously irritated when he was permitted at the end of School Reunion to stay on the TARDIS indicated to me that she didn't want to have to share. But she was also annoyed in Series One when he admitted he'd been seeing someone.

So what...he's supposed to leave you alone to fawn over the Doctor, but he isn't allowed to become attached to anyone else himself?

That as well as her attitude towards Sarah Jane, which I thought was totally uncalled for. I can understand being upset at not being the only one, and not being special as she was, but there was no need to take it out on Sarah Jane.

She seems a bit Mary-Sueish too. Everyone who encountered her seemed to absolutely adore her for no apparent reason.

I prefer Martha because she doesn't seem as selfish to me. She did whine a bit during Human Nature about the Doctor getting attached to someone else, but she didn't intefere.

Though I'm not sure why her little crush on the Doctor was neccessary, I can respect her for being mature enough to realise that that was all it was and that her own life and family was important too.

Martha is a very bright girl who can hold her own, and for that reason , I like her a lot.

Morgey

Wheezing Genius

Lieutenant Commander Data

Ruthless Bloodsucker

15,900 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:59 am
Martha all the way. She comes across as much more capable than Rose was, and a lot more intelligent. Even without the Doctor to help her (Human Nature, Family of Blood), she still did her best (and managed to save him at the dance) -- I'm sure that if Rose had been there things would have turned out a lot worse. Martha deserved to have been treated better by the Doctor - if only she hadn't come after Rose, I'm sure both he and most viewers would have seen her in a different light. As it is, their relationship seems doomed to fail as the Doctor makes reference after reference to Rose. I, being a traditionalist, don't even believe he was in love with her in the first place! (Call me blind, or whatever you want. No amount of re-watching that episode will ever make me change my mind about that.)  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 9:37 pm
Oh my god! Definitely Rose! Martha was like a Rose knock-off. And yeah, that was not Freema's fault, I think the writers tried to make her popular by making her more like Rose, but it didn't work. She should have been totally different. The thing with her mom was too similar too, only Jackie was nicer. And Martha was too obvious about, "Hi, I'm Martha and I love the Doctor." But I loved Rose!!! I cried when she left... It was so sad, and he never even told her he loved her! crying  

Alice_in_Wonderland19

Force_Majeure

4,800 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 2:40 pm
Alright, fresh from watching season two and three (again!) I can honestly say that i prefer Rose over Martha, not to say that I don't like Martha or anything.. I just prefer Rose.

Right then, Rose can be whiny yes, but she's not totally naive like how Donna started out as. It took her a bit to get her footing but after awhile, but she saved the Doctor a few times too, don't forget. Yes, Martha saved the Doctor as well, but did anyone else notice how INSANELY reckless he got in season three? Like he had a death wish. Anyway, moving on, Rose doesn't exactly sit around and wait for instructions, remember 'Fear Her'? So don't got selling the poor girl short.

As for Martha, yes, she can stand toe to toe with the Doctor, she's had medical training and all, alot more schooling than Rose. Doesn't make her as street smart as Rose. So what one lacks, the other makes up for.

As for Martha falling for the Doctor so fast.. that's not surprising really. After a kiss like that who can blame the girl?

And.. I lost my train of thought.... sigh.

Anyways, I think what I was trying to say is that while both Rose and Martha make awesome companions, I myself prefer Rose.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:32 am
Rose, of course. Mostly because I've only ever seen one episode with Martha in it... but...

Oh, well, I'll reserve judgement until I see seiries 3.  

Dante Alicheery

Rorick_Kintana

Conservative Lunatic

6,350 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:19 am
I'd say I like Rose better. I mean, she went with the Doctor like butter on toast, of peanut butter and jelly. She was very brave, and it was quite sad when she "died".  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:09 pm
i prefered rose, she matched the doctor perfectly , she helped him when he was clueless. he even mentionsnin in 'the shakespeare code' that he really could use rose's insight about now, much to marthas distaste. We really never got to se martha properly because the doctor never really saw her, he was too blinded by rose.  

goddess velya

Natawee!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:58 am
Personally?
I preferred Rose to Martha.

As was mentioned several times before- Her and the Doctor seemed to fit together, he was the hand that fit hers like a puzzle piece.

There was the attraction- you could see it, even through the first season. Even though I loved Eccleston to bits- he was never as pretty as Tennant.
Shows that Rose loved him for his personality.

Also- she knew that the Doctor couldn't really say that he loved her to her, which is something that Martha never quite understood until the very end.
And the thing is- Rose never really had to know.

I did however feel sad with poor Martha, constantly being judged by fans as nothing compared to Rose.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:38 am
I vastly perfer Martha to Rose.

Rose was such a brat and was so dependent on the Doctor while with Martha, the Doctor was dependent on her, not once but THREE times. Rose wouldn't have been able to do that - she might have tried but I doubt she'd have succeeded.  

Kariki Neroli

goddess velya

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:43 pm
but ya gotta take into the equation that the doc took ALOT more risks with out Rose, to the point of almost suicidal. Martha always had to save his butt cos he threw him self into to it.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:05 pm
i've got nothing against Rose, nothing at all, but I prefer Martha because she's different. All of the companions are slightly similar, all of them are white, except Martha.

I like her because she's not afraid to say what she thinks, she's loyal, and she knows when it's time to let go. She's smart as well, i think that's great, and she gives things a go.  

Alyssanya

CHASING POLAR BEARS

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:08 am
Kariki Neroli
I vastly perfer Martha to Rose.

Rose was such a brat and was so dependent on the Doctor while with Martha, the Doctor was dependent on her, not once but THREE times. Rose wouldn't have been able to do that - she might have tried but I doubt she'd have succeeded.

see but when it comes to the 'What would Rose have done?' bit, it always kicks in that its a tv show. the writers could have written it so that Rose would have suceeded. its just not possible to imagine if Rose could have done any of the things Martha did because the things Martha did were written for Martha. ><

so i don't like to think of that bit much... xp

also i think a lot of us are going to be baised towards Rose because shes the only companion we've ever known, if we've never seen the old series.

i'll always like Rose the best, but i've decided i actually like Martha. i always hated her before i saw the season 3 finale. now shes okay. i just perfer Rose. :]  
When I Say Run - A Doctor Who Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff