Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Spooky Steve

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:27 pm
xChrisThePanda
Spooky Steve
xChrisThePanda
Spooky Steve
From what I've noticed, new 'Deathrock' bands are becoming more synthy which ruins it for me. The newer bands are starting to sound less like Christian Death and more like The Birthday Massacre. Do not want. xp

I love The Birthday Massacre lol
But I know what you mean
I think it's because synth has alot to offer and is getting more recognized lately
There's a few songs I like but everything else I just can't get into. The Electronic music scene is flourishing whereas Deathrock is pretty much dead. As technology continues advancing, electronic music (as far as sound quality goes, not so much the music itself) gets better and better. Pretty much, Deathrock is dead and in fifty years everyone will be listening to Lady Gaga ripoffs.

Nah synth won't be on top for that long

There is a 20 year cycle to all mainstream trends in music

Like in the 80's it was mostly New Wave or Hair Metal on the radio both started small and underground got HUGE big labels picked up any excuse for a band that fit their image ((Like scene now tbqh)) People love it, over a few years it sounds the same, people get tired of it and start moving underground. By the late 80's New Rock and Grunge was starting to get noticed and by the early to mid 90's both genres were in full swing and being popularized and got big but were still underground and open to change. By 2000 it had gotten stale and people got sick of it and now we are in the techno/synthy swing that was more underground in the 90's.

So we are still in the open expiremental stage and wihin the next 5-10 years it will get UBER-stale and the mainstream will migrate away from it.

The same twenty-year rule applies to fashion, but let's not get into that.

The only good thing about the mainstream is they have a waning attention span for things but still like recycled and watered-down concepts. For example, Twilight: they took an idea that was too scary for the mainstream, in this case being vampires, and turned them from carnivorous macabre creatures into sparkling yet oversensitive and homoerotic weenies. One of these days someone's going to find a pussified version of Deathrock and put it on the popular radio, and soon the masses will be filled with faux-deathhawks and shitty music.

However that probably won't come until twenty years perhaps, so we'll be safe or better yet, it'll never happen.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:46 pm
Spooky Steve
xChrisThePanda
Spooky Steve
xChrisThePanda
Spooky Steve
From what I've noticed, new 'Deathrock' bands are becoming more synthy which ruins it for me. The newer bands are starting to sound less like Christian Death and more like The Birthday Massacre. Do not want. xp

I love The Birthday Massacre lol
But I know what you mean
I think it's because synth has alot to offer and is getting more recognized lately
There's a few songs I like but everything else I just can't get into. The Electronic music scene is flourishing whereas Deathrock is pretty much dead. As technology continues advancing, electronic music (as far as sound quality goes, not so much the music itself) gets better and better. Pretty much, Deathrock is dead and in fifty years everyone will be listening to Lady Gaga ripoffs.

Nah synth won't be on top for that long

There is a 20 year cycle to all mainstream trends in music

Like in the 80's it was mostly New Wave or Hair Metal on the radio both started small and underground got HUGE big labels picked up any excuse for a band that fit their image ((Like scene now tbqh)) People love it, over a few years it sounds the same, people get tired of it and start moving underground. By the late 80's New Rock and Grunge was starting to get noticed and by the early to mid 90's both genres were in full swing and being popularized and got big but were still underground and open to change. By 2000 it had gotten stale and people got sick of it and now we are in the techno/synthy swing that was more underground in the 90's.

So we are still in the open expiremental stage and wihin the next 5-10 years it will get UBER-stale and the mainstream will migrate away from it.

The same twenty-year rule applies to fashion, but let's not get into that.

The only good thing about the mainstream is they have a waning attention span for things but still like recycled and watered-down concepts. For example, Twilight: they took an idea that was too scary for the mainstream, in this case being vampires, and turned them from carnivorous macabre creatures into sparkling yet oversensitive and homoerotic weenies. One of these days someone's going to find a pussified version of Deathrock and put it on the popular radio, and soon the masses will be filled with faux-deathhawks and shitty music.

However that probably won't come until twenty years perhaps, so we'll be safe or better yet, it'll never happen.

They have fake deathrock that via myspace is slipping over to mainstream but normally it looks more like dark steampunk and get's lumped with emo.

On a side note
I personally spend alot of my time with Psychobilly these days music wise...I think that there is a decent enough basis for a scene of it where I live.  

ZombieGinsberg
Crew

Mesmeric Revelations

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:13 pm
Shadow Reichenstein isn't that bad for being fairly new. 07 I think?  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:23 pm
That legit sounds like Ministry  

ZombieGinsberg
Crew

Marximum Philocity

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:51 pm
xChrisThePanda
Everythings Gone Green
xChrisThePanda
Th only decent semi-deathrock band I have heard in a while is Darlings' Cabinet of Sundry Horror... I think Deathrock as an active culture is mostly dead

I am more hopeful that something new will come along, something that re-inspires the ethic of Deathrock. But I mean like a new subculture entirely. Something dark, innovative, distinctive, artistic, and with some ******** talent lol.

I wanna start a band like that...I think with the right people I could
I was in a post-punk/power electronics bad that was all of the above. But then the guy in charge of percussion had to die in a car wreck and the guitarist/noise guy decided to start a family. emo

I'm just going to do what every other goth musician has done. and trade in my skills in goth rock/deathrock for a post-punk revival or noise-rock band.

I would have really liked to hear that and I'm sorry about your percussionist

I wanna start a band when I move out to New York...Something free form you know? I want something with a cabaret/bluesy/goth-rock sound but I also want to incorporate something very mildly electronic a dub-esque but still raw sounding...Overall I know all of that probably won't be able to happen but I think if enough people with different backgrounds get together and can get along they can do big things. I mean look at Bauhaus each member brought something extraordinaly different to the group and they weren't afraid to try new stuff, which is one reason that they are one of my favorite groups right next to David Bowie.
Bluesy Goth-rock sound makes me think of Crystal Stilts. Who I've been listening to endlessly the past few days.

Anyway, I might want to move to New York after I attend Univerisity elsewhere, and I'd start a band with you. When I first got my guitar I taught myself guitar by learning old delta blues and Joy Division tabs (like 8 years ago, now) Currently I'm the bassist for the jazz ensemble at my school, and all we ever do if free jazz and improv. Not to mention I've been in 4859485927587496784789 bands before ranging from minimal dubstep to shitty metalcore, so I can do lots of s**t.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:40 pm
Everythings Gone Green
xChrisThePanda
Everythings Gone Green
xChrisThePanda
Th only decent semi-deathrock band I have heard in a while is Darlings' Cabinet of Sundry Horror... I think Deathrock as an active culture is mostly dead

I am more hopeful that something new will come along, something that re-inspires the ethic of Deathrock. But I mean like a new subculture entirely. Something dark, innovative, distinctive, artistic, and with some ******** talent lol.

I was in a post-punk/power electronics bad that was all of the above. But then the guy in charge of percussion had to die in a car wreck and the guitarist/noise guy decided to start a family. emo

I'm just going to do what every other goth musician has done. and trade in my skills in goth rock/deathrock for a post-punk revival or noise-rock band.

I wanna start a band when I move out to New York...Something free form you know? I want something with a cabaret/bluesy/goth-rock sound but I also want to incorporate something very mildly electronic a dub-esque but still raw sounding...Overall I know all of that probably won't be able to happen but I think if enough people with different backgrounds get together and can get along they can do big things. I mean look at Bauhaus each member brought something extraordinaly different to the group and they weren't afraid to try new stuff, which is one reason that they are one of my favorite groups right next to David Bowie.
Bluesy Goth-rock sound makes me think of Crystal Stilts. Who I've been listening to endlessly the past few days.

Anyway, I might want to move to New York after I attend Univerisity elsewhere, and I'd start a band with you. When I first got my guitar I taught myself guitar by learning old delta blues and Joy Division tabs (like 8 years ago, now) Currently I'm the bassist for the jazz ensemble at my school, and all we ever do if free jazz and improv. Not to mention I've been in 4859485927587496784789 bands before ranging from minimal dubstep to shitty metalcore, so I can do lots of s**t.

Never heard of Cystal Stilts
tbh my band will probably end up being like psychobilly-blues-indy...like Modest Mouse meets the Misfits lol idk 'm a very free thinker but band members are always cool XD I need an upright bass player and a cellist or violinist I could do keyboard and vocals also I need someone who
could learn banjo...my gf drums and plays ukelele XD I s**t you not.  

ZombieGinsberg
Crew

xShe Dreams Fiction

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:44 pm
xChrisThePanda
Everythings Gone Green
xChrisThePanda
Everythings Gone Green
xChrisThePanda

Lol sounds cool
tbh my bands will end up being like psychobilly-blues-indy...like Modest Mouse meets the Misfits lol idk 'm a very free thinker but lol band members are always cool XD I need an upright bass player and a cellist or violinist I could do keyboard and vocals also I need someone who could learn banjo...my gf drums and plays ukelele XD I s**t you not.

its true I do xd  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:45 pm
xFictionPrincess
xChrisThePanda
Everythings Gone Green
xChrisThePanda
Everythings Gone Green
xChrisThePanda

Lol sounds cool
tbh my bands will end up being like psychobilly-blues-indy...like Modest Mouse meets the Misfits lol idk 'm a very free thinker but lol band members are always cool XD I need an upright bass player and a cellist or violinist I could do keyboard and vocals also I need someone who could learn banjo...my gf drums and plays ukelele XD I s**t you not.

its true I do xd

Hey babe

XD  

ZombieGinsberg
Crew

Marximum Philocity

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:05 pm
That's cool I guess. I play bass guitar, upright bass, guitar, lots of percussion stuff (drums sets + a bunch of obscure wankery bullshit), Alto sax, I sing, cello, viola, theremin, synthesisesr, i do programming and what not, I can circuitbend stuff, mandolin, banjo, trumpet, sitar, trombone. Then on top of all that I'm a physics and music theory nerd so I've made my own instruments.

I don't really like Modest Mouse, and I hate the misfits with a passion. I look more at like Bukka White and other dirty old black men for "blues"

Edit: OOHHHH I found my recorder yesterday, and I've relearned it. dramallama  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:25 pm
Everythings Gone Green
That's cool I guess. I play bass guitar, upright bass, guitar, lots of percussion stuff (drums sets + a bunch of obscure wankery bullshit), Alto sax, I sing, cello, viola, theremin, synthesisesr, i do programming and what not, I can circuitbend stuff, mandolin, banjo, trumpet, sitar, trombone. Then on top of all that I'm a physics and music theory nerd so I've made my own instruments.

I don't really like Modest Mouse, and I hate the misfits with a passion. I look more at like Bukka White and other dirty old black men for "blues"

Edit: OOHHHH I found my recorder yesterday, and I've relearned it. dramallama

I have a heavy indie side...as for misfits I love them but it was a bad comparrison idk the blues psychobilly and indie wih cabaret and dub and other stuff mixed in. Also you have alot of time to learn that many instruments lol I can barely operate my DJ software let alone play an actual instrrument but I gonna learn keyboard and I wanna learn all forms of bass and cello before I die.

Edit:I look towards many people when it comes to blues... think my first Blues experience was eith with Screamin' Jay Hawkins or Robert Johnson. I just can't remember who I listened to first but I love them both when I was little and they inspired me to listen to others.  

ZombieGinsberg
Crew

Konatafangrl

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:02 am
I'm not even sure if deathrock is acknowledged anymore all i see these new age kids listening to is industrial junk or powernoise stare  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:30 pm
Konatafangrl
I'm not even sure if deathrock is acknowledged anymore all i see these new age kids listening to is industrial junk or powernoise stare

The most I see is cyber crap with the goggles and gawdy plastic hair. Deathrock nowadays is deceased or is being replaced with terrible knock-off clones. xp  

Miss Fiendette

3,400 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

ZombieGinsberg
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:37 pm
Alien Hex Fiend
Konatafangrl

The most I see is cyber crap with the goggles and gawdy plastic hair. Deathrock nowadays is deceased or is being replaced with terrible knock-off clones. xp

The only deathrock that I have seen has either been terribly close to horrorpunk or has had many varied influences including deathrock. I think that my favorite, new deathrock/deathrock related bands atm are Darlings' Cabinet Of Sundry Horror or The Knutz.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:57 pm
xChrisThePanda
Alien Hex Fiend
Konatafangrl

The only deathrock that I have seen has either been terribly close to horrorpunk or has had many varied influences including deathrock. I think that my favorite, new deathrock/deathrock related bands atm are Darlings' Cabinet Of Sundry Horror or The Knutz.

The newest I've been able to get into is Eat Your Make Up. Everything nowadays is just so cheesy in a bad way, and with everyone more into the cyber/faux-industrial scene it's not getting better anytime soon.  

Miss Fiendette

3,400 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

ZombieGinsberg
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:31 pm
Alien Hex Fiend
xChrisThePanda
Alien Hex Fiend
Konatafangrl

The newest I've been able to get into is Eat Your Make Up. Everything nowadays is just so cheesy in a bad way, and with everyone more into the cyber/faux-industrial scene it's not getting better anytime soon.

Eat Your Make-up and Deadchovsky and all that just sound like bad Cinema strange knock-offs to me

check out the 2 bands I said earlier I think you'll find them refreshing lol

I don't mind the industrial scene too much really.  
Deathrock

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff