Welcome to Gaia! ::

Books and Reviewers

Back to Guilds

Do you want to talk about books? What about reviewing them? 

Tags: writing, authors, new books, reviews, books 

Reply Better than Twilight
What Kind of Writing Process Do You Use? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Master_Terranort
Vice Captain

Dapper Dabbler

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:39 am
Tympest
Master_Terranort
Tympest
Master_Terranort
Tympest
Master_Terranort
I think of the basics for my characters first and how I want the story to end before I go into detail with the world and the actual story.
So you start at the end and work from there?

Yeah pretty much I'm weird like that.
It sounds like a great idea. You'd know how it was going to end that way.

The annoying part is the path to the ending though and the history and religion of my world.
Do tell, what kind of problems do you run into?

Trying not to copy similar events that already happened or copy current religions.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:27 pm
Usaly an idea will just kinda hit me (normaly when I'm about to go to sleep) and it will lurk in my head for a while I perfect it and then I'll just start to write it down knowing where I want it to go but not much else.  

19neko95

Tympest
Captain

Unsealed Dabbler

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:26 pm
Master_Terranort
Tympest
Master_Terranort
Tympest
Master_Terranort

The annoying part is the path to the ending though and the history and religion of my world.

Trying not to copy similar events that already happened or copy current religions.
Similar events in world or IRL? What do you find wrong with copying current religions?  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:26 pm
19neko95
Usaly an idea will just kinda hit me (normaly when I'm about to go to sleep) and it will lurk in my head for a while I perfect it and then I'll just start to write it down knowing where I want it to go but not much else.
Do you take notes on it or keep it all in your head?  

Tympest
Captain

Unsealed Dabbler

19neko95

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:46 pm
Tympest
19neko95

I normaly keep it in my head until I'm ready to write it down, or if it is like a line or situaltion I want to use I'll jot it down in a notebook I carry in my purse  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:54 am
19neko95
Tympest
19neko95

I normaly keep it in my head until I'm ready to write it down, or if it is like a line or situaltion I want to use I'll jot it down in a notebook I carry in my purse
Cool.  

Tympest
Captain

Unsealed Dabbler

Master_Terranort
Vice Captain

Dapper Dabbler

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:14 pm
Tympest
Master_Terranort
Tympest
Master_Terranort
Tympest
Master_Terranort

Similar events in world or IRL? What do you find wrong with copying current religions?

I don't find anything wrong with that but it can lead to trouble with people from other religions.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:00 pm
Master_Terranort
Tympest
Master_Terranort
Tympest
Master_Terranort

I don't find anything wrong with that but it can lead to trouble with people from other religions.
That is understandable, but can you give examples? This isn't something I'd thought of before.  

Tympest
Captain

Unsealed Dabbler

Master_Terranort
Vice Captain

Dapper Dabbler

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:15 pm
Tympest
Master_Terranort
Tympest
Master_Terranort
Tympest
Master_Terranort

That is understandable, but can you give examples? This isn't something I'd thought of before.

Well I don't have any examples at the moment though the fundamentalist Christians will be pissed anyways just because of demons.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:46 am
Master_Terranort
Tympest
Master_Terranort
Tympest
Master_Terranort

Well I don't have any examples at the moment though the fundamentalist Christians will be pissed anyways just because of demons.
fundamentalists seem to get pissed about almost anything though.  

Tympest
Captain

Unsealed Dabbler

wickedphoenix93

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:38 am
I usually start out with defining the characters. I've done quite a few message board RPGs in the past few years, so I have a decent character pool to look through -- or I'll come up with one that's new, or possibly based on one or two of my older ones. I like to go really in-depth with each character, and that's probably what takes the most time before I actually come up with a story -- I bring together all the characters I want to use, usually 2-5 of them, and figure out how they would all interact with each other and what their issues might be and things like that.

I'm terrible with plots, but every once in awhile I have a vague storyline in my head, and I'll fit the characters into that however they go, changing things along the way. I definitely prefer my stories to be character-driven and based on their wants and needs and motives, as opposed to plot-driven... probably why I spend so much time on character development (who knew? lol)

I actually just went back and basically rewrote one of my stories using the break-everything-up-separately-with-notecards method. That idea came from one of my friends who's got a TV show in the works: I used to hang out in her dorm room at college and she would have all these neon notecards taped up on one wall in a sort of diagram that explained each episode of the first two seasons she had planned out. It looked cool and very organized, so I figured why not try it? I was actually impressed with how well it's worked for me. From there I go to writing the outline and the first few chapters, and whenever I hit a block I jump ahead and write out a different part, and fill in other things later.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:24 pm
wickedphoenix93
I usually start out with defining the characters. I've done quite a few message board RPGs in the past few years, so I have a decent character pool to look through -- or I'll come up with one that's new, or possibly based on one or two of my older ones. I like to go really in-depth with each character, and that's probably what takes the most time before I actually come up with a story -- I bring together all the characters I want to use, usually 2-5 of them, and figure out how they would all interact with each other and what their issues might be and things like that.

I'm terrible with plots, but every once in awhile I have a vague storyline in my head, and I'll fit the characters into that however they go, changing things along the way. I definitely prefer my stories to be character-driven and based on their wants and needs and motives, as opposed to plot-driven... probably why I spend so much time on character development (who knew? lol)

I actually just went back and basically rewrote one of my stories using the break-everything-up-separately-with-notecards method. That idea came from one of my friends who's got a TV show in the works: I used to hang out in her dorm room at college and she would have all these neon notecards taped up on one wall in a sort of diagram that explained each episode of the first two seasons she had planned out. It looked cool and very organized, so I figured why not try it? I was actually impressed with how well it's worked for me. From there I go to writing the outline and the first few chapters, and whenever I hit a block I jump ahead and write out a different part, and fill in other things later.
That is the most well thought out response I've gotten yet, bravo. So, rather than being a plot with characters fit in it, you fit the plot around the characters. Does that ever trip you up? Do you have certain characters for certain worlds? Or is everything in one world?

The thing with the note cards sounds like a great idea.  

Tympest
Captain

Unsealed Dabbler

wickedphoenix93

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:13 pm
Tympest
wickedphoenix93

That is the most well thought out response I've gotten yet, bravo. So, rather than being a plot with characters fit in it, you fit the plot around the characters. Does that ever trip you up? Do you have certain characters for certain worlds? Or is everything in one world?

Thank you smile it goes back and forth sometimes between characters and plot -- as I said, sometimes I actually have a plot idea and things just need tweaked a bit for everything to work properly... but yeah it does hit its snags here and there. I usually have the characters so fleshed out by the time I go to write the story that I can hear them in my head, and sometimes they just don't feel like talking lol. Certain worlds... well I haven't written anything yet that's not of the current world -- that is, modern day/time. The mermaid/selkie idea I had is taking shape though, and that's got its very own set of completely new characters.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:02 pm
wickedphoenix93
Tympest
wickedphoenix93

Thank you smile it goes back and forth sometimes between characters and plot -- as I said, sometimes I actually have a plot idea and things just need tweaked a bit for everything to work properly... but yeah it does hit its snags here and there. I usually have the characters so fleshed out by the time I go to write the story that I can hear them in my head, and sometimes they just don't feel like talking lol. Certain worlds... well I haven't written anything yet that's not of the current world -- that is, modern day/time. The mermaid/selkie idea I had is taking shape though, and that's got its very own set of completely new characters.
Cool.  

Tympest
Captain

Unsealed Dabbler

emikohayashi4912

7,050 Points
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Forum Regular 100
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:33 am
I usually think of a plot, setting, characters, everything, and then write out random scenarios with the characters in the setting in a random scene in the plot. It's kind of like shooting a movie; I never write my scenes in order. Then, I take my scenes, fit them together in order, and add other scenes in order to make them transition smoothly.  
Better than Twilight

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff