Welcome to Gaia! ::

Resident Evil X A Fan Guild

Back to Guilds

COMPLETE. GLOBAL. SATURATION. 

Tags: Resident Evil, Game, Outbreak, Roleplay, Biohazard 

Reply DISCUSSION & DEBATES
Left 4 Dead: Rip-off of Resident Evil? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Klayko

Blessed Tactician

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:54 pm
2nd Lt
Grievon Knight
I haven't played L4D. I think it's too much of a ripoff to Resident Evil and the things on there seem to be really less convincing. I may get Dead Island though.

Back on the subject, I think Vector looks cool.

Like saying 28 Days/Weeks Later are George Romero movie ripoffs. Both are very different.

We all have our opinions on this, lol. In my eyes, Zoey and Claire look exactly alike, not to mention they both were university students....  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:10 pm
Grievon Knight
2nd Lt
Grievon Knight
I haven't played L4D. I think it's too much of a ripoff to Resident Evil and the things on there seem to be really less convincing. I may get Dead Island though.

Back on the subject, I think Vector looks cool.

Like saying 28 Days/Weeks Later are George Romero movie ripoffs. Both are very different.

We all have our opinions on this, lol. In my eyes, Zoey and Claire look exactly alike, not to mention they both were university students....
Is that your only reasoning?  

Little Motel
Crew

Klayko

Blessed Tactician

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:36 am
Little Motel

No. I have a whole lot more, but I try not to get into it too much unless someone asks for it. Do you want me to go on in a topic that isn't related to a subject like this? As I said, I haven't played the game. My brother has it on his XBOX, but then again, I'm not that much of a XBOX fan altogether. I don't let that cloud my judgement since I like to see things for myself before I say anything.

I have watched him play several times and I see so many similarities in it that it's not funny, but as I also said, we all have our opinions on these things. Mine is that from seeing playthroughs and my brother playing it, it's a ripoff to Resident Evil.

And 28 Days/Weeks later are different from both games and unrelated to what I was saying. That's like trying to compare Land and Dawn of the Dead to them.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:18 pm
Grievon Knight
Little Motel

No. I have a whole lot more, but I try not to get into it too much unless someone asks for it. Do you want me to go on in a topic that isn't related to a subject like this? As I said, I haven't played the game. My brother has it on his XBOX, but then again, I'm not that much of a XBOX fan altogether. I don't let that cloud my judgement since I like to see things for myself before I say anything.

I have watched him play several times and I see so many similarities in it that it's not funny, but as I also said, we all have our opinions on these things. Mine is that from seeing playthroughs and my brother playing it, it's a ripoff to Resident Evil.

And 28 Days/Weeks later are different from both games and unrelated to what I was saying. That's like trying to compare Land and Dawn of the Dead to them.

Then you didn't understand why I compared 28 Days/Weeks Later to Land/Dawn of the Dead. Instead of saying that comparing Left 4 Dead to Resident Evil is like comparing Apples to Oranges I wanted to use something closer to the topic, which is why I compared the two movies since I think we can agree they are nothing alike.

Other than zombies and your Zoey to Claire comparison I don't see anything else really that's similar. I guess we could always make a topic on this lol.  

Imperialist American
Vice Captain

Little Motel
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:24 pm
Grievon Knight
Little Motel

This thread has been off-topic from the start. lol
I was asking for your reasoning, not just "LEFT 4 DEAD IS A RIP OFF OF RESIDENT EVIL BECAUSE I SAY SO." You didn't give me any actual reasons.
Honestly the only similarity between the two is that both have zombies, and even their zombies are different. It's pretty obvious you haven't played the game.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:17 pm
Little Motel

I was asking for your reasoning, not just "LEFT 4 DEAD IS A RIP OFF OF RESIDENT EVIL BECAUSE I SAY SO." You didn't give me any actual reasons.
Honestly the only similarity between the two is that both have zombies, and even their zombies are different. It's pretty obvious you haven't played the game.

Okay, let's look at the zombies then since you in some way want me to point out to you the actual facts other than the fact that I think it is a ripoff to Resident Evil.

1a.The Hunters from L4D: An enemy that can jump and pounce on on a survivor. A hunter emits animal like screeches or light roars when close by and roars when they jump

1b.Hunters from Resident Evil: Agile monster capable of jumping and pouncing on the character as well as decapitating them. Most notably known for their loud shrieks.

Very similar if only the hunters in L4D weren't human. Moving on:

2a.The Smoker from L4D: boil-covered creature with a long tongue that it uses to ensnare and drag a survivor back to himself. It may then either attack the survivor directly, allow the horde to attack him, or leave the survivor suspended over a cliff or roof-edge. The Smoker only releases its victim once the tongue is shot, the survivor is killed, or upon the Smoker's death, which results in an explosion that leaves a vision-obscuring cloud lasting approximately 30 seconds.

2b.Lickers especially the Regi Licker from Resident Evil: An evolved zombie with greater muscular structure and increased athletic abilities. They were named "Lickers" by members of the Raccoon City Police Department for their incredibly long tongues. Lickers have lost the use of their eyes entirely and track their prey using their highly-developed hearing. Their expanded brains and newly reformed muscle structure allows them to do things normal zombies can't. Their claws allow them to easily climb walls and cling to ceilings and make a dangerous weapon against any prey in the vicinity. At some certain points, their tongue can be used to wrap around the character and pull them towards it.

One thing L4D did: Add in some other details and the fact they can explode.

3a.The Tanker from L4D: The Tank is a gigantic muscular infected that moves like a gorilla that has the ability to swipe at survivors, knocking them off their feet and incapacitating them; it can also knock cars and other debris into the survivors. The Tank is the strongest special infected of them all, and requires the full support of all of the survivors in order to be killed for the Tank's health is more than all of the Survivor's full health combined. The tank will be close by either when there aren't any other infected or with other Infected nearby and with the horror-themed music accompanied with the trembling with the ground (Which seems to stop when the Tank has been spotted)

Gee, what else swipes at people *Thinks long and hard, not really, but just does it*

3b.Tyrants from Resident Evil ( most notably the T-103 ) as well as Nemesis: I hope I don't have to go any further from these two. The Tyrants are known for being brute, fast, and deadly. Nemesis was the smarter version out of them all. The most dangerous attack is its double overhead fist attack, which is almost capable of killing a human character. If successful, the T-103 will knock the victim to the ground and then stomp on their head, crushing the victim's skull. Another attack is a powerful shoulder ram capable of smashing through concrete, but this is only used in cutscenes from Resident Evil 2, and is an actual attack in Resident Evil Survivor.

What do these two have in common: They both seem to be strong enough to knock the character down on the ground only for the Tyrants if more successful, it can kill the person.

Now let's get into what they both share in these games besides the mutated versions of the zombies.

Q1. Is it the virus? No. Most movies that came before Resident Evil talk about viruses breaking out and causing the outbreak, so that's nothing special.

Q2. Is it how fast the outbreak started in both games? YES!!!! Do I find it coincidental how both games seem to have the zombies raiding the town in a fast manner of two weeks? Yes.

Q3. Do I find it odd that both cities are near each other only Raccoon city is fictionalized and few states away from Pennsylvania? Yes.

Now what does L4D have that Resident Evil doesn't have: The Witch.

Everything else, "RIPOFF"

I have more if you want to continue this. I can keep going and going about how much of a RIPOFF L4D is and I don't say so because I think so. I know it is a ripoff because I have seen it.  

Klayko

Blessed Tactician

Hikigane_Trijen

6,750 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:30 pm
Grievon Knight
Little Motel

Okay, let's look at the zombies then since you in some way want me to point out to you the actual facts other than the fact that I think it is a ripoff to Resident Evil.

1a.The Hunters from L4D: An enemy that can jump and pounce on on a survivor. A hunter emits animal like screeches or light roars when close by and roars when they jump

1b.Hunters from Resident Evil: Agile monster capable of jumping and pouncing on the character as well as decapitating them. Most notably known for their loud shrieks.

Very similar if only the hunters in L4D weren't human. Moving on:

2a.The Smoker from L4D: boil-covered creature with a long tongue that it uses to ensnare and drag a survivor back to himself. It may then either attack the survivor directly, allow the horde to attack him, or leave the survivor suspended over a cliff or roof-edge. The Smoker only releases its victim once the tongue is shot, the survivor is killed, or upon the Smoker's death, which results in an explosion that leaves a vision-obscuring cloud lasting approximately 30 seconds.

2b.Lickers especially the Regi Licker from Resident Evil: An evolved zombie with greater muscular structure and increased athletic abilities. They were named "Lickers" by members of the Raccoon City Police Department for their incredibly long tongues. Lickers have lost the use of their eyes entirely and track their prey using their highly-developed hearing. Their expanded brains and newly reformed muscle structure allows them to do things normal zombies can't. Their claws allow them to easily climb walls and cling to ceilings and make a dangerous weapon against any prey in the vicinity. At some certain points, their tongue can be used to wrap around the character and pull them towards it.

One thing L4D did: Add in some other details and the fact they can explode.

3a.The Tanker from L4D: The Tank is a gigantic muscular infected that moves like a gorilla that has the ability to swipe at survivors, knocking them off their feet and incapacitating them; it can also knock cars and other debris into the survivors. The Tank is the strongest special infected of them all, and requires the full support of all of the survivors in order to be killed for the Tank's health is more than all of the Survivor's full health combined. The tank will be close by either when there aren't any other infected or with other Infected nearby and with the horror-themed music accompanied with the trembling with the ground (Which seems to stop when the Tank has been spotted)

Gee, what else swipes at people *Thinks long and hard, not really, but just does it*

3b.Tyrants from Resident Evil ( most notably the T-103 ) as well as Nemesis: I hope I don't have to go any further from these two. The Tyrants are known for being brute, fast, and deadly. Nemesis was the smarter version out of them all. The most dangerous attack is its double overhead fist attack, which is almost capable of killing a human character. If successful, the T-103 will knock the victim to the ground and then stomp on their head, crushing the victim's skull. Another attack is a powerful shoulder ram capable of smashing through concrete, but this is only used in cutscenes from Resident Evil 2, and is an actual attack in Resident Evil Survivor.

What do these two have in common: They both seem to be strong enough to knock the character down on the ground only for the Tyrants if more successful, it can kill the person.

Now let's get into what they both share in these games besides the mutated versions of the zombies.

Q1. Is it the virus? No. Most movies that came before Resident Evil talk about viruses breaking out and causing the outbreak, so that's nothing special.

Q2. Is it how fast the outbreak started in both games? YES!!!! Do I find it coincidental how both games seem to have the zombies raiding the town in a fast manner of two weeks? Yes.

Q3. Do I find it odd that both cities are near each other only Raccoon city is fictionalized and few states away from Pennsylvania? Yes.

Now what does L4D have that Resident Evil doesn't have: The Witch.

Everything else, "RIPOFF"

I have more if you want to continue this. I can keep going and going about how much of a RIPOFF L4D is and I don't say so because I think so. I know it is a ripoff because I have seen it.

If you people still do not see that L4D is a ripoff then that is some serious denial. Anyone will tell you the same. When it comes to a game taking form from movies would be Dead Rising. To say that L4D is like Dawn or the Dead and 28Days Later is a mistake. Those movies are purely zombies and not zombies that had evolved in some way or have been mutated. All the monsters he listed are not your normal run of the mill zombie, they are advanced and evolved; and when that happens then you are looking at a RE wanna be.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:39 pm
KI773RSHADOW
Little Motel
Wasn't sure where to put this so I threw it here.

So in anticipation for Operation:Raccoon City I have been watching the new CGI trailer repeatedly.
I highly recommend you watch it if you haven't already seen it.

I was inspired to make a Lupo avatar, and would like suggestions to tweak and perfect it.

My gold is limited so no 700k RIG items, please.
I just wanna say one thing about that game.If they kill Leon,bye-bye Resident Evil.

Leon is cool and good and all but the game did not start with him. If he is killed off then the Game will move on. You are probably more associated with RE4 where you Leon was made into a complete badass. What made RE so good was its story, they did not focus solely on one or two people; but how everything that has happened ties together in some way.  

Hikigane_Trijen

6,750 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200

Little Motel
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:49 pm
Grievon Knight
L4D Hunters vs RE Hunters

They can both pounce on people and they have the same name. Okay. That doesn't really constitute as a direct rip-off. A pouncing enemy is hardly anything new, especially since in L4D it is much more agile and stealthy. Seriously, you're saying this is a rip-off of this.
Quote:
L4D Smoker vs RE Licker

This is even more of a long-shot. The only remotely similar characteristic is that they have long tongues that they use for attack. Hardly anything new. You might as well say that Fallout's Centaur is a rip-off of the Licker.
Quote:
L4D Tank vs RE Tyrant

A large, behemoth-like enemy that can knock you down. This is not original and certainly not exclusive to the Resident Evil series

Quote:

This is nothing special to any kind of zombie fiction medium. The virus in 28 Weeks Later spread just as fast if not more so.

Quote:

Raccoon City's location is never officially given. It is only said that it is a small, mid-western town. Pennsylvania =/= midwestern.

You have never played the game. The only common characteristic you gave that isn't found in every other zombie-themed movie or game is that they both have special zombies. But the special creatures in Resident Evil aren't even zombies, they're just more advanced mutations, or BOW's.
L4D is a multiplayer based shooter that doesn't really have a plot or development and is mainly meant for dicking around with your friends, which is the opposite of Resident Evil. You are arguing with two different people who say that they are nothing alike, and I have never seen anyone else claim that it is a rip-off.
By your logic, every subsequent zombie-related video game is a rip-off of Resident Evil. lol  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:08 pm
Little Motel
Grievon Knight

They can both pounce on people and they have the same name. Okay. That doesn't really constitute as a direct rip-off. A pouncing enemy is hardly anything new, especially since in L4D it is much more agile and stealthy. Seriously, you're saying this is a rip-off of this.
Quote:
L4D Smoker vs RE Licker

This is even more of a long-shot. The only remotely similar characteristic is that they have long tongues that they use for attack. Hardly anything new. You might as well say that Fallout's Centaur is a rip-off of the Licker.
Quote:
L4D Tank vs RE Tyrant

A large, behemoth-like enemy that can knock you down. This is not original and certainly not exclusive to the Resident Evil series

Quote:

This is nothing special to any kind of zombie fiction medium. The virus in 28 Weeks Later spread just as fast if not more so.

Quote:

Raccoon City's location is never officially given. It is only said that it is a small, mid-western town. Pennsylvania =/= midwestern.

You have never played the game. The only common characteristic you gave that isn't found in every other zombie-themed movie or game is that they both have special zombies. But the special creatures in Resident Evil aren't even zombies, they're just more advanced mutations, or BOW's.
L4D is a multiplayer based shooter that doesn't really have a plot or development and is mainly meant for dicking around with your friends, which is the opposite of Resident Evil. You are arguing with two different people who say that they are nothing alike, and I have never seen anyone else claim that it is a rip-off.
By your logic, every subsequent zombie-related video game is a rip-off of Resident Evil. lol

I see you didn't read everything he said confused because if you did you would have noticed that the Licker is and advanced zombie mutation. He wasn't saying that every zombie based game is a ripoff of RE, just L4D and well that is bc it is true. Most zombie games a ripoff of zombie movies and RE was the first zombie based game to pull away from that cliche'. Your attitude is typical behavior most commonly seen in most xbox users. (closed mindedness) I should know because I used to be that way also, so do not take it the wrong way. If you want to hear from the mouth of someone that has played the game, will that make you happy? L4D is a direct ripoff to RE, its not based off any zombie themed movie like the designers claimed because if that was the case it would look more like Dead Rising. A group of survivors who have barricaded themselves in some building and then later decided to make a break for it.  

Hikigane_Trijen

6,750 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200

Imperialist American
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:13 pm
Hikigane_Trijen
If you people still do not see that L4D is a ripoff then that is some serious denial. Anyone will tell you the same. When it comes to a game taking form from movies would be Dead Rising. To say that L4D is like Dawn or the Dead and 28Days Later is a mistake. Those movies are purely zombies and not zombies that had evolved in some way or have been mutated. All the monsters he listed are not your normal run of the mill zombie, they are advanced and evolved; and when that happens then you are looking at a RE wanna be.

Once again I'd like to point out that the only reason why Dawn of the Dead and 28 Days Later was brought up was an ANALOGY.
28 Days Later =/= Dawn of the Dead in the same way that Apples =/= Oranges.
I was saying in my opinion that Resident Evil =/=Left 4 Dead so I used the 28 Days Later =/= Dawn of the Dead, because I believe they too are very different.

If you looked at other video games forums you'd see that many people do not think L4D is a Resident Evil ripoff.

By your logic any game that wants to have zombies and also zombies with evolved abilities is a Resident Evil ripoff? I guess I shouldn't get Dead Island when that comes out in August, because I saw some zombies that could do more than just walk at you. I saw in a video that one of the zombies can actually knock you over onto the ground. This has happened several times in Resident Evil by various enemies, so they must be ripping Resident Evil off too. One of the zombies in Dead Island even dares to charge at you.
So I guess Resident Evil has the whole zombie franchise under lockdown and no one can attempt to make any new zombie game.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:20 pm
Little Motel
Grievon Knight

Quote:
L4D Smoker vs RE Licker

Quote:
L4D Tank vs RE Tyrant

Quote:

Quote:

Really now? What did I say the licker was? A more mutated version of the zombie, meaning what? It evolved from the zombie to get to where it is.

What is the Tyrant? A zombie as well. Difference? The viirus expanded even further than that.

Now let's look at what you quoted me on:

The first one being with the Hunters from both games. Didn't I point out already that the Hunters on L4D are human and not reptilian?

Second one: Fallout isn't being applied to games on zombies, so that's null and void. I was talking about how they both attacked in very similar pattern.

Third one: Again, what is this all being applied to? Zombie games or games in general?

Next: I said I find coincidence that the outbreak spreaded about the exact same time from both games. Did I apply that to 28 Days/Weeks later? No. I applied it to the games that seem to mirror each other, only L4D is a horrible rendition of it.

Next one: Let's see how far Midwestern and Northeastern are far from each other.
Northeastern

Midwestern

Very close to me. I could have sworn I said if that was the case, Raccoon City is a few states away from Pennsylvania then. *Whistles*

You haven't seen anyone else make these claims because you play the XBOX where like most overrated religions these days thanks to people who overrate them, saps your creativity. Play another system and you will hear other people make these claims. Now that you said that about L4D, it's quite obvious that I still have high regards that is one really crappy game and I don't want to get started on the graphics. Did I say every zombie game was a ripoff to Resident Evil? No. Pet peeve of mine when people put words into my mouth. I think...oh....I know I said Resident Evil and left 4 Dead alone. I didn't drag any other game into this subject. Now who is telling you that most of the monsters on Resident Evil are more advanced mutations. I think I pointed out on two out of the three that like L4D, they are more advanced Zombies. Have you played Resident Evil Outbreak? If so, do you remember the hotel? If so, do you remember the licker boss that looked like a woman? If you bothered to read everything I had said, I pointed most of this all out myself. rofl  

Klayko

Blessed Tactician

Little Motel
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:20 pm
Hikigane_Trijen

He wasn't saying that every zombie based game is a ripoff of RE, just L4D and well that is bc it is true.

Go back and read what I said carefully, because you clearly missed the point.
Quote:
Most zombie games a ripoff of zombie movies and RE was the first zombie based game to pull away from that cliche'.

Which is how common folklore happens. Each publication has the same basic principals that pertains to zombies, with their own little twists. That does not make every subsequent series a rip-off of the previous. Even Resident Evil admits to pulling a lot of influence from George Romero movies.
Quote:
Your attitude is typical behavior most commonly seen in most xbox users. (closed mindedness)

So I'm closed-minded because I'm refuting my point. lol
Quote:
L4D is a direct ripoff to RE.

Go on.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:32 pm
2nd Lt
Hikigane_Trijen

Once again I'd like to point out that the only reason why Dawn of the Dead and 28 Days Later was brought up was an ANALOGY.
28 Days Later =/= Dawn of the Dead in the same way that Apples =/= Oranges.
I was saying in my opinion that Resident Evil =/=Left 4 Dead so I used the 28 Days Later =/= Dawn of the Dead, because I believe they too are very different.

If you looked at other video games forums you'd see that many people do not think L4D is a Resident Evil ripoff.

By your logic any game that wants to have zombies and also zombies with evolved abilities is a Resident Evil ripoff? I guess I shouldn't get Dead Island when that comes out in August, because I saw some zombies that could do more than just walk at you. I saw in a video that one of the zombies can actually knock you over onto the ground. This has happened several times in Resident Evil by various enemies, so they must be ripping Resident Evil off too. One of the zombies in Dead Island even dares to charge at you.
So I guess Resident Evil has the whole zombie franchise under lockdown and no one can attempt to make any new zombie game.

Really?? All zombies can knock you to the ground, that isn't some undiscovered zombie power. The only people that seem to think that L4D is a ripoff of RE are xbox fans, and that is because they do not want to see the similarities in something. by me being a tester I have to keep an open mind about things and not be sold on one thing. And just because you fail to see something, it is most likely you do not want to see it.  

Hikigane_Trijen

6,750 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200

Little Motel
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:33 pm
Grievon Knight

Really now? What did I say the licker was? A more mutated version of the zombie, meaning what? It evolved from the zombie to get to where it is.

What is the Tyrant? A zombie as well. Difference? The viirus expanded even further than that.
I'll admit poor wording on my part.

Quote:
Now let's look at what you quoted me on:

The first one being with the Hunters from both games. Didn't I point out already that the Hunters on L4D are human and not reptilian?
So you don't need me to tell you that there aren't enough pressing similarities to be able to call rip-off.

Quote:
Next: I said I find coincidence that the outbreak spreaded about the exact same time from both games. Did I apply that to 28 Days/Weeks later? No. I applied it to the games that seem to mirror each other, only L4D is a horrible rendition of it.
I listed 28 Days Later as an example of one of the many zombie folklore where the virus spreads rapidly, showing that it's not exactly exclusive to Resident Evil but a pretty common thing within the genre. neutral
Quote:
Next one: Let's see how far Midwestern and Northeastern are far from each other.
Northeastern

Midwestern

Very close to me. I could have sworn I said if that was the case, Raccoon City is a few states away from Pennsylvania then. *Whistles*
Which doesn't disprove the fact that Pennsylvania =/= midwestern.

Quote:
You haven't seen anyone else make these claims because you play the XBOX where like most overrated religions these days thanks to people who overrate them, saps your creativity. Play another system and you will hear other people make these claims.
rofl
Quote:
Now that you said that about L4D, it's quite obvious that I still have high regards that is one really crappy game and I don't want to get started on the graphics. Did I say every zombie game was a ripoff to Resident Evil? No. Pet peeve of mine when people put words into my mouth.
Look at how adorable you are, letting the point fly above your head like that.  
DISCUSSION & DEBATES

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff