Love. How do you define it? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

PhilosophyMind
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 3:09 am
I feel that a physical attraction is what may interest people at first in a person, giving them incentive to bring the person into their life. But of course, that is not always the case.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 1:08 pm
durrypoo
nightlight
while i'm not awake enough to really post anything too clever, i would like to ask, as a sort of added topic, is there only one significant other in the world for each person?

i'll try to post my thoughts tomorrow in a more clear fashion >.<

of course not, there will be as many as you want them to be...

also I would add another very interesting question... does anybody else consider that not only an emotional bound, acceptance and respect, but also physical attraction is an important factor in LOVING another person? and why do you consider so?
how do you know that for sure? how do you know that you aren't just settling for what's attainable currently?  

nightlight
Crew

Durrypoo Ov Fire

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:56 pm
nightlight
durrypoo
nightlight
while i'm not awake enough to really post anything too clever, i would like to ask, as a sort of added topic, is there only one significant other in the world for each person?

also I would add another very interesting question... does anybody else consider that not only an emotional bound, acceptance and respect, but also physical attraction is an important factor in LOVING another person? and why do you consider so?
how do you know that for sure? how do you know that you aren't just settling for what's attainable currently?

I could walk to you and tell you "you are destined to marry the person sitting next to you" and the only thing that would matter is what you believe in, because you could simply ignore my word and go for that one you really want to be wtih as well as you could try to get that person I told you "you are destined to be with" wink If you believe that you are destined to be wtih someone so be it, if you believe you got the right to choose that someone then go for it. It's all up to what we believe in. I for one, prefer to chose.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:41 am
so basically, i could go ahead and marry whoever i currently feel is my one and only... and then find someone else that i connect with years later and get together with them, as they are my new or better 'one and only.'  

nightlight
Crew

Durrypoo Ov Fire

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 4:23 pm
nightlight
so basically, i could go ahead and marry whoever i currently feel is my one and only... and then find someone else that i connect with years later and get together with them, as they are my new or better 'one and only.'

aye aye!  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:34 pm
Hmmm...intriguing.

I personally hope and partially believe there is one person soully there for me to love and connect with on one level that is unachievable with any other human being.

But then, I am a Dreamer.  

PhilosophyMind
Captain

nightlight
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:01 am
durrypoo
nightlight

aye aye!
so... then you've just had 2 'one and only's'?

i'm a firm believer that there is a most perfect person for each one of us. for me, the question is more a reality of actually finding that person.

not to throw the topic completely off course, but do you guys think it's possible that at any given point in time, there is a MOST perfect person alive? i'm not talking about a 'perfect' person, but one that is the most perfect. could a person like that have lived in the past, say... when jesus traveled earth? A sort of paragon that history has kinda muddled up so this person seems like a myth or legend?  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 1:43 pm
I don't think that you can say that love is love because each time you look at it it will seem different to you because your always finding new things out aboout and you opinion changes. This applies to most things that are intangible. Here's a good way of explaning what i'm trying to say. If you ask a person are you the same person you were five years ago most likely they'll say yes but then if you say "but you look different, act different and even think different" then they start to reconsider because you've just brought to their attention that they're the same but different which doesn't comply. So think that your thoughts about love and this imaginary person are the same now can you really say that love is love?  

chaos_messenger5863

chaos_messenger5863

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 1:48 pm
durrypoo
nightlight
durrypoo
nightlight

I could walk to you and tell you "you are destined to marry the person sitting next to you" and the only thing that would matter is what you believe in, because you could simply ignore my word and go for that one you really want to be wtih as well as you could try to get that person I told you "you are destined to be with" wink If you believe that you are destined to be wtih someone so be it, if you believe you got the right to choose that someone then go for it. It's all up to what we believe in. I for one, prefer to chose.

Well you could chose and then that just so happened to be the one person you were destined to be with.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 1:52 pm
PhilosophyMind
I feel that a physical attraction is what may interest people at first in a person, giving them incentive to bring the person into their life. But of course, that is not always the case.

I think this is some what realated to what you just said. I just so happen to like the one girl that no one else seems to like but I'm probably never going to see her again after high school would that be my one person?  

chaos_messenger5863

thinkubus

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 4:15 pm
nightlight

i'm a firm believer that there is a most perfect person for each one of us. for me, the question is more a reality of actually finding that person.

Exactly what is your belief based on? It sounds like it's founded in faith and feelings rather than logic or fact.

Ayn Rand says that love is when a person sees their good qualities reflected in someone else.

Personally, I think love is when you're in such a tizzy about somebody else that you do idiotic things that the REAL you wouldn't normally do.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 12:09 pm
thinkubus
nightlight

Exactly what is your belief based on? It sounds like it's founded in faith and feelings rather than logic or fact.

Ayn Rand says that love is when a person sees their good qualities reflected in someone else.

Personally, I think love is when you're in such a tizzy about somebody else that you do idiotic things that the REAL you wouldn't normally do.
i think you're misunderstanding what i'm saying. try to think of it like this: i'm going with a more math-based approach here; due to the sheer number of people in the world, i believe that there must be a 'most' perfect match for us somewhere out there. somewhere in the world, there is someone who fits us the best out of everyone else. they may not be a perfect match themselves, but it has to be irrefutable that they are the 'most' perfect match for us.  

nightlight
Crew

Maximillian Shadowdrake

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:47 pm
An EXCELLENT question! Just what is love?
Is it when you are only happy when another is happy?
Is it when the only thing you wish to do is be near that other person?
There's a girl I know. We used to be friends. But now when I think of talking to her I freak out. Is that love?  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:01 pm
Wow ... I just had this conversation with someone on this, a few days ago, actually. I don't feel like retyping my position on it ... So ... I'm just going to post the PM I had with her. The quotation is too big, so I'm copying and pasting. xD

Quote:

jayray167 Wrote: What is your definition of love?

Iksuinoyume Wrote: My definition? Huh ... There really isn't one for it, I think. That's really hard to define. But, the closest that I can explain it, is the reason that I gave the story that I'm writing (Also my RP. xD) as of now, which is the need to always be together with that one thing, person, event, or thought. You don't want to break from it, and will do what you can to stay with it.

jayray167 Wrote:You want to know what I think?

Iksuinoyume Wrote:Nani?

jayray167 Wrote: I think that love is when a person can love someone when all the other does is hurt them, when you cant think of anyone else and are infattuated with both perfections and imperfections, when no matter what your doing u cherish every moment of ur life as long as they are near, when you cant think of thinking of anyone else in that way! I think that love is a passion and an understood bond for someone that nothing can control, when you cant think of anyone or anything besides "the one" and you know that you will be happy spending the rest of your life with that person, not only do you know that but the thought excites you beyond compare. I think love is undescribable and I could spend the rest of my life giving examples on how great or painful it may be but no one knows love until they experience it and when you do you know that that is love and there is no doubt in your mind that what you feel will last forever. Now this way to look at it may seem optimistic but of course there is pain involved with love I mean you are putting your heart in that persaons control and if they make one wrong move you could be in constant pain the rest of your life.....but that is the risk, that is the excitement, that is love

Iksuinoyume Wrote: That is why I say it's togetherness, and doing all you can to be with it. And it's not always necessarily a person either.

jayray167 Wrote:Yea I know that it is just easier to describe I guess.... U think that si why I worded it the way i did

Iksuinoyume Wrote: Lawls, yeah. And I know an even shorter and easier way to say my definition too. 'Tis called an addiction too! >_>;;

jayray167 Wrote: I do too but I like it when people write like how I wrote it out so it is easier to seee what they think about the subject not just a few lines....a few lines is fine but do u kno what I mean?

Iksuinoyume Wrote:No, I don't, actually, because everyone has their own definition. Some people will agree, and some won't. The reason why I explain it how I did is because people have different ways on how to love someone. I mean, people are even beginning to say love and lust are different, but others think it really isn't. People have different takes on it, let them be them liking someone who's there perfection or nonperfection, or if they are masochistic or very passionate. It varies alot.

jayray167 Wrote:I understand that but all I am saying is that the more you explain the easier it sis for me to understand.....i didnt mean it the way you took it.

Iksuinoyume Wrote: No, no, you missed my point. I'm saying that it shouldn't be explained in the first place because people have different ways of loving. Explaining your definition will not make someone understand because they might have different ideals. That is also the reason why my definition is worded in the way it is.

Mikomi Katsura

Hygienic Prophet

3,750 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Decemius

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:48 pm
I personally would define love as the highest level of respect and caring.  
Philosophy Threads

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff