Reply Religion
Discuss: The God anubis Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

WebenBanu

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 6:04 pm
Yep! I suppose it would be cumbersome to repeat the entire scene with such slight changes each time- and there are a lot of important inscriptions and images to be recorded on the pages of the funerary scrolls, as well as the walls of the tomb and sarcophagus! This way, a great deal of information can be communicated and the heka (magic) of the image remains intact. It's all there if you know the right way to look at it. wink

I think the Hall of Two Truths preceeds the weighing of the heart- you make your case before the judges who line the Hall (seen in Lokun's image in the register just above the weighing of the heart), then your heart is weighed to verify the truth of your account. If you pass, then you are admitted to an audience with Wsyr (Osiris) and one of the realms of the blessed dead.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:30 pm
WebenBanu
Yep! I suppose it would be cumbersome to repeat the entire scene with such slight changes each time- and there are a lot of important inscriptions and images to be recorded on the pages of the funerary scrolls, as well as the walls of the tomb and sarcophagus! This way, a great deal of information can be communicated and the heka (magic) of the image remains intact. It's all there if you know the right way to look at it. wink

I think the Hall of Two Truths preceeds the weighing of the heart- you make your case before the judges who line the Hall (seen in Lokun's image in the register just above the weighing of the heart), then your heart is weighed to verify the truth of your account. If you pass, then you are admitted to an audience with Wsyr (Osiris) and one of the realms of the blessed dead.

Ah, my mistake. I thought about it after I posted, but I didn't know if I would be wrong if I changed it. I guess it was the other way around. sweatdrop

I'm just glad someone more informed than I am is here so that nobody gets any disinformation! ^^;  

Mortiferia

DMental

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:40 pm
Anknest Ra Horakhty
Well, I think that Anubis was officially the god of Mummification, and that he was the one who protected the dead person while the person was being mummified. (Don't know if that made any sense...) sweatdrop

whenever egyptians mummified someone, one person would were a jackel head for anubis, so I think your right  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:27 pm
According to some tellings of the Myth of Osiris, the story started long before Seth's jealousy reared its ugly head. Osiris had thrown a party in the Otherworld to celebrate the race of men growing to be civilized people. Isis and Nepthys grew tired of the party and went to bed while "the boys" stayed up and got drunk. Because Isis and Nepthys are twins, Osiris didn't realize it until the next morning that he had snuggle-snuggled with Nepthys, the wife of his own twin (and VERY jealous) brother.

Seth knew that, when Nepthys became heavy with child, that he was not the father, and swore revenge for the taking of his wife by his brother. His first thought was to kill the child, but Nepthys escaped with her son (Anubis) into the desert, where they met Thoth, the ibis-headed god of wisdom, healing, and scribes.

The Myth of Osiris takes the story from there, stating that Seth had a great wooden chest made and trapped Osiris inside and threw it in the Nile... blah blah blah. Let's get to the good stuff-- the fact that Anubis was with Thoth when Isis and Nepthys found Osiris the first time.

I imagine (and this is my humble but very much thought through opinion) that Anubis must have spent the time he was with Thoth learning the arts of healing; as a much older and wiser god, I'm sure that Thoth wanted Anubis to learn everything that he had to offer. But Anubis had to have watched the lives of mortal humans in the real world and understood that no power of healing could keep a person from the clutches of death. This point would have been driven home by him seeing his father for the first time d-e-d dead.

He was there, and watched Thoth, Isis, and Nepthys resurrect Osiris' sahu ("spirit-soul"), and I think he understood then that the preservation of all parts of the "body" (physical/spiritual/metaphysical) was necessary for someone to be sure of returning to life later. It was at this point in his life that he began to understand his role in the Otherworld.

I get so mad when people assume that because Anubis is associated with death that he is evil. He is perhaps the most compassionate god in the Egyptian pantheon (except, maybe, Thoth himself). For the reasons stated, and a few others I will share with anyone who is interested, I consider him to be the absolute coolest god in ANY ancient pantheon. cool

(By the way, disclaimer --> To whoever may care to know, I'm Christian. I am not a follower/worshiper of the Egyptian gods, but I consider them to be part of a grand story. Just so you know where I'm coming from. wink )  

LynUridain

King Robert Silvermyst

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 4:24 pm
LynUridain

I get so mad when people assume that because Anubis is associated with death that he is evil. He is perhaps the most compassionate god in the Egyptian pantheon (except, maybe, Thoth himself). For the reasons stated, and a few others I will share with anyone who is interested, I consider him to be the absolute coolest god in ANY ancient pantheon. cool

(By the way, disclaimer --> To whoever may care to know, I'm Christian. I am not a follower/worshiper of the Egyptian gods, but I consider them to be part of a grand story. Just so you know where I'm coming from. wink )

Indeed He is ^.^ Also quite the child in some ways as well, especially when chocolate is involved as an offering (I always end up laughing after offering Yinepu His chocolates because He gets soo distracted by them. Of course, he prefers you take the wrappings off. First time I offered Him some tootsie rolls, He complained about the icky outside but loved the inside. I asked Him if He removed the wrapping and He merely replied with 'Wrapping?' razz ) Also, one thing that was left out from what I've seen posted so far is the fact that he is also a strong protector of children, animals and all things pure and innocent.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:57 am
King Robert Silvermyst
LynUridain

Indeed He is ^.^ Also quite the child in some ways as well, especially when chocolate is involved as an offering (I always end up laughing after offering Yinepu His chocolates because He gets soo distracted by them. Of course, he prefers you take the wrappings off. First time I offered Him some tootsie rolls, He complained about the icky outside but loved the inside. I asked Him if He removed the wrapping and He merely replied with 'Wrapping?' razz ) Also, one thing that was left out from what I've seen posted so far is the fact that he is also a strong protector of children, animals and all things pure and innocent.
*pictures Anubis as a teenager munching on M&Ms which promptly melt all over his hands, baby Horus laughing at him and Thoth unable to do anything except smile and shake his head, wondering what in the Otherworld he's going to do with "that kid"......*  

LynUridain

KeeperofShadows

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:28 pm
King Robert Silvermyst

Also, one thing that was left out from what I've seen posted so far is the fact that he is also a strong protector of children, animals and all things pure and innocent.

This idea probably came from the myths in which he accompanied Aset and Heru in the desert while Set was still in power, and protected Heru from Set's, what, minions?, because Set was still fairly intent on killing his brother's son. So Yinepu was sort of like an older brother to Heru during that time, or so it seems.

Edit: I read a few days ago, somewhere, that Yinepu was found abandoned in the desert because Nebet-het feared Set's anger. Apparently he was being raised by jackals at the time of his discovery by Aset. Has anyone else heard of this?  
Religion

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff