Welcome to Gaia! ::

The United Forums of Gaia

Back to Guilds

Tags: general, discussion, chat, hangout, intelligent 

Reply The United Forums of Gaia
The Venting Junkyard Thread Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 231 232 233 234 235 236 ... 332 333 334 335 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Kozray
Crew

Bloblike Blob

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:27 pm
Thanks for the birthday wishes. ^o^

Had a horrible birthday, but I'm trying not to dwell on it. xd

Well, it wasn't really horrible, but there was crying and arguing and that's never fun. Still, I did have some fun, went and saw Shrek and had dinner and looked at stuff in the mall. So it's alright.

And today my dad totally spoiled me. So yeah.

Wooo~!  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:20 pm
Was Shrek good? I have little faith in it as it is. ): I tried to watch Shrek 3 and wanted to cry out loud. It was so bad....  

Sevi Rais

IRL Citizen

12,750 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Bidding War 100

Kozray
Crew

Bloblike Blob

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:41 pm
Eh, it wasn't really that good. There were a few amusing moments, but it was pretty much predictable and of course you know how it ends within the first five minutes. But I guess I was entertained, so that's what counts.

I don't recommend the 3D though. Pretty much nothing was really like "wow! 3D!" .. then again, most movies aren't. I was more impressed with the 3D in How To Train Your Dragon than Shrek, for sure.

The sad thing is, the movies they advertise in the trailers looked more amazingly 3D than Shrek did, haha.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:11 pm
Yeah, I really don't see the point of 3d as it is. I mean, it's not all that fantastic and doesn't justify the cost.  

Jahoclave

Lady Pyre
Crew

Eloquent Elder

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:37 pm
I haven't seen a movie in 3D since I was 5 at Disneyland. The closest IMAX is in another state, and even though we have a Regal Cinema, they suck a** and don't support RealD. And it seems like they all the ones I was interested in came out during finals, so I couldn't spare the time to drive to another cinema. Sad thing is that the tickets probably would have cost less to see it in 3D in the big city than in 2D here. $8 to see a movie in these shitty seats that only got cup-holders, like, 2 years ago? Yeah... totally feasible. rolleyes  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:11 am
8$ for a movie in the cinema? surprised That is so ridiculously cheap. For the 13:00 showing of Prince of Persia I would already be paying €8.30.

I can get it down to €6.30 if I bring my student pass with me, though.  

Aldo

Vicious Warlord

Wolffy000

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:46 am
Lady Pyre
I haven't seen a movie in 3D since I was 5 at Disneyland. The closest IMAX is in another state, and even though we have a Regal Cinema, they suck a** and don't support RealD. And it seems like they all the ones I was interested in came out during finals, so I couldn't spare the time to drive to another cinema. Sad thing is that the tickets probably would have cost less to see it in 3D in the big city than in 2D here. $8 to see a movie in these shitty seats that only got cup-holders, like, 2 years ago? Yeah... totally feasible. rolleyes

Seriously? All the Regal around here have ******** awesome theaters.

Though the only 3D movie I saw was Nightmare before Christmas when that came out again. I've only been able to start watching 3D movies with the new 3D they're using, so it's the only one I've really seen. And most aren't too interesting anyway, though I kind of wanted to see that Dragon movie from Dreamworks.

And yeah, movies around here are around $6-8. It's mostly the concessions that are ******** all expensive. Guess it depends on where the theater is though, I seem to remember the ones in Seattle being more expensive than most. Not that I bother seeing movies often anyway.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:39 am
The matinee showings around here are $7, with regular showtimes @ $10 and IMAX costing $15. And of course the concession stand prices are atrocious so I usually either don't buy or hit up the candy aisle at the store beforehand.

I'm getting annoyed with the 3D resurgence, mostly because I haven't seen a movie yet where it doesn't feel like some kind of goofy add-on at the last minute. Plus, I already wear glasses, so putting on another pair for simultaneous wear is a PITA.

Sorcette

Hey Pasta

Shameless Genius

9,500 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Hive Mind 200
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:54 pm
Depending on which theatre you go to, movies are $8-11, with a $2 add-on for 3D. I've seen a lot of movies in 3D but kind of don't like it - the glasses give me a headache.

And yeah, uh, Apple...I'm still not that impressed with the iPhone. Sorry.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:36 pm
I heard Walmart is selling iPhones for $79 now. I'd pay that much... but I don't like giving my money to Walmart.  

kerminatrix

O.G. Nerd

Sevi Rais

IRL Citizen

12,750 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Bidding War 100
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:32 pm
I think for the "good" movie theaters it's $8.50-9 here. For 3D it's an extra $3. :/ Forget about popcorn. $8. $6.50 if I go to the dollar theater (but I get a free refill.) Yay.

I saw Coraline in 3D because my aunt paid for it with my cousin. It was okay. Yeah, I dunno why it's so popular. It feels more like a bandwagon thing. If people pay money for it, I guess it will continue. . . .

This is pretty funny about the oil spill.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:45 pm
Yeah... where I grew up, the good movie theatre only charge $3, and, while I'm sure there is some inflation since then, the one Regal I went to out of town most recently only cost $5. When a huge theatre with reclining seats only charges me $5, I have a hard time wrapping my head around a cramped, overcooled theatre with crappy seats charging me more.  

Lady Pyre
Crew

Eloquent Elder

Xanilus

Elder

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:55 pm
3D is popular for many reasons. The primary reason behind Hollywood's latest push is simple: 3D movies are harder to bootleg.

A cam rip looks terrible, a screener copy won't play on a normal television... all around, 3D movies mean more cash for Hollywood. (Not that they're money grubbing. They've been taking a rather nasty hit due to torrent sites, so it's only natural they'd be working to find a way to stop piracy.)

There's also the draw of crowds due to the "zomgmazinglol effex!!" For instance, Avatar was a beautiful movie... in 3D. In 2D it's bland, IMO.

Also, you'll notice that these 3D movies, when they come to DVD and BluRay, in most cases are NOT in 3D. (Coraline is a recent exception, as it used color differentiation as opposed to polarization.) Not to mention they're NOT "special editions". You get the movie and maybe one commentary track and that's it.

The biggest reason for this is because the 3D technology is still in infancy as far as home televisions go. There are a few starting to enter the market, but it will be a while before they're wide-spread enough for Hollywood to feel it cost effective to release a 3D DVD/BluRay.

Once there are enough of the newer 3D polarization compatible televisions in homes across America, then and only then will you see a special edition 3D version of Avatar, H2Train Your Dragon, Alice in Wonderland, etc. etc...

Until then, it's simply not cost effective to even produce a product that very few people own the proper home entertainment systems to watch it on.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:23 pm
I feel pretty, oh so pretty!  

Jahoclave

Sevi Rais

IRL Citizen

12,750 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Bidding War 100
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:57 pm
I heard that companies may make TVs that produce 3D videos and television series. I wondered if there would be a market for it since I don't know if this would be a profitable deal for them. That is interesting, though, Xan. Thanks.  
The United Forums of Gaia

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 231 232 233 234 235 236 ... 332 333 334 335 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games