Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Reader's Guild

Back to Guilds

Are you a book lover or aspiring writer, join us. 

Tags: book, read, writer, authors, fanfiction 

Reply The Reader's Guild Main Forum
Recommended Books: Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Any books you would like to share??
  sure
  not really
View Results

thedominantqueen

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:35 am
Hi all, I am totally in favor of any book I find lately. But the main ones I can't seem to put down are those by Fern Michaels, The Sisterhood series. She has done a spectacular job in taking us through the pain and showing us how she would resolve it.
I also am a big fan of Orson Scott Card, Ender series. I read Ender's Game when I was 11 or 12 then read it again in my late teens and found I had to get the other books.
But my greatest find so far has been Kushiel's series,because I found myself in Phedre. I have only read the first three books but I will get the last one soon.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:32 pm
Lately I've been going through old books I loved as a kid and have been buying them up. One seriese that took me forever to find, and I finally did was the The Echorium Sequence, the first book being Song Quest. http://www.amazon.com/Song-Quest-Echorium-Sequence-Book/dp/0439338921 it is amazing. Yes it is intended for young adults, but its a big recomendation from me. I mean, come on I spent 5 years trying to find the title for it and find it. mrgreen  

SV-Hikaru

Umi Pryde

5,550 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Conversationalist 100
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:57 am
Finder by Emma Bull
Companions of the Night, Heir Apparent, User Unfriendly, and Dragon's Bait by Vivian Vande Velde
The Alex Rider Series
The Young Wizard's Series
The Dreaming Place by Charles De Lint
A Nameless Witch by A. Lee Martinez
Sword of the Rightful King by Jane Yolen

and if you are into reading long fantasy books and don't mind them being translated into English, go to your manga/graphic novel section and look for the NOVEL - Brave Story. It is longer than any one Harry Potter book and it's an exciting read. (it's not a graphic novel, but there is also a manga series made based on the novel)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:45 pm
Pride and Prejudice, The Luxe Series, Mary Higgins Clark Books, Catcher in the Rye, To Kill A Mocking Bird. smile  

TrippyElegance

Vickrae

2,450 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Consumer 100
  • Statustician 100
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:29 am
Sure Sure I will recommend you :-

1. Twilight Series by Stephenie Meyer
2. Vampire Diaries
3. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (and many other classics~but my fav is this)
4. The Saga of Darren Shan
5. Angel by Cliff McNish
6. An Angel To Die For  
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 4:40 pm
Pride & Prejudice and Frankenstein are both great. I guess I like the classics. :]  

Mnemosyne II

Artemis Gly
Captain

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 7:49 pm
I have to check other out, Im currently reading Lisey's Story by Stephen King. So far its a great book, you know King's style, LOL  
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 12:13 pm
dogsrox94
i really like impulse, desert crossing, candy, enders game....yeah ill stop lol.

I second Ender's Game. It's like a sci-fi Harry Potter.  

Spirrow

I WiLl NeVeR LeT u Go

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 12:21 pm
i reommend the series by christopher paolini,
eragon,
eldest,
brisingr,
these book are 500-800 pages long,
thy are full of action, romance,dragons,magic,and of course suspense fnot for tiny little kids!  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:57 pm
Must Love Flute
Ok, here are some really good books that I think more people should definitely know about. They were kind of hidden in the bookstores.

Angie Sage is a pretty good author. She wrote the Septimus Heap series. There's Magyk, Flyte, Physik, and the newest one is Queste (and yes, I am spelling those correctly.
They're about this boy who is taken away from his mother after birth by the midwife who is really in cahoots with this evil necromancer named DomDaniel. He grows up in the Young Army and later finds out that he is a wizard. Meanwhile, his father finds a baby in the snow, and takes it home for he and his wife to raise along with their other six sons. Things start to get complicated when many things threathen the baby's life.

There's also these books by Ted Dekker: Black, Red, and White. It's a trilogy. Now, I found these in the religious section of Borders, but I think if you are into the action thriller, parallel universe thing, you could read them just as a book. They're really good.
They're about this guy named Thomas Hunter who travels in between two worlds in his sleep. He lives in Denver, Colorado while trying to protect his sister from a mob that he took a $250,000 loan out from. The weird thing is that the world aside from our world is several centuries ahead of our time.
They're both really good authors to check out. I'll put more on later.

You are so right about the septimus heap series! I actually discovered it by getting magik at a yard sale (hard cover) and finding the cover so interesting that I read the whole series in a month...  

always on the beach

always on the beach

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:00 pm
I WiLl NeVeR LeT u Go
i reommend the series by christopher paolini,
eragon,
eldest,
brisingr,
these book are 500-800 pages long,
thy are full of action, romance,dragons,magic,and of course suspense if not for tiny little kids!

i agree with you.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:08 am
http://www.thestraintrilogy.com/

I keep seeing this on Facebook and it has caught my attention. More vampires if you are interested!!  

Angiataira

Angiataira

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:04 am
Last night I read Cemetary Dance by Lincold and Child. Another great book by the 2 authors!.

It is about vodoo zombii's coming to life and killing people in their way. Very good edge of your seat suspense.

I have read many books by these 2 authors. Riptide is my fave, but I also enjoyed Thunderhead and The Relic (also a very good movie).

I purchased a hardcover copy of Cemetary Dance with a special leather case that is autographed by both authors - only cost me $30.00 so I went for it. I was not disappointed.

Check it out and let me know what you all think!!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:30 am
I am currently reading more Clive Cussler books.
Finished The Treasure of Kahn about Gengis Kahn's burial and missing booty! Very fun paced read.
I am now reading The Navigator about a Phonecian statue of a man with a cat at his feet.

Both are great treasuer hunting reads. I totally suggest his stuff.
He wrote Sahara, which was made into a movie.
Altho they cut out a lot, and some of my fave stuff, the movie was good to see.

Angiataira

Artemis Gly
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:41 pm
andie1320
http://www.thestraintrilogy.com/

I keep seeing this on Facebook and it has caught my attention. More vampires if you are interested!!

Awesome, I checked out the website, and Ive read books of Guillermo del Toro before, and I hear many good things of others I havent read, never thought he would make one like this though, very nice, definitely checking this one out!

Thanks for the suggestion & the link, biggrin  
The Reader's Guild Main Forum

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces