Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Reader's Guild

Back to Guilds

Are you a book lover or aspiring writer, join us. 

Tags: book, read, writer, authors, fanfiction 

Reply Authors' Forum
Stephenie Meyer Fans Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Stephenie Meyer?
  I have read her work
  Never heard of her...
View Results

RubyLight

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:26 pm
What's "The Host" about?  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:20 pm
Amazon.com Review
Amazon Best of the Month, May 2008: Stephenie Meyer, creator of the phenomenal teen-vamp Twilight series, takes paranormal romance into alien territory in her first adult novel. Those wary of sci-fi or teen angst will be pleasantly surprised by this mature and imaginative thriller, propelled by equal parts action and emotion. A species of altruistic parasites has peacefully assumed control of the minds and bodies of most humans, but feisty Melanie Stryder won't surrender her mind to the alien soul called Wanderer. Overwhelmed by Melanie's memories of fellow resistor Jared, Wanderer yields to her body's longing and sets off into the desert to find him. Likely the first love triangle involving just two bodies, it's unabashedly romantic, and the characters (human and alien) genuinely endearing. Readers intrigued by this familiar-yet-alien world will gleefully note that the story's end leaves the door open for a sequel--or another series. --Mari Malcolm

From Publishers Weekly
In this tantalizing SF thriller, planet-hopping parasites are inserting their silvery centipede selves into human brains, curing cancer, eliminating war and turning Earth into paradise. But some people want Earth back, warts and all, especially Melanie Stryder, who refuses to surrender, even after being captured in Chicago and becoming a host for a soul called Wanderer. Melanie uses her surviving brain cells to persuade Wanderer to help search for her loved ones in the Arizona desert. When the pair find Melanie's brother and her boyfriend in a hidden rebel cell led by her uncle, Wanderer is at first hated. Once the rebels accept Wanderer, whom they dub Wanda, Wanda's whole perspective on humanity changes. While the straightforward narrative is short on detail about the invasion and its stunning aftermath, it shines with romantic intrigue, especially when a love triangle (or quadrangle?!) develops for Wanda/Melanie. 10-city author tour. (May)
Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.  

Artemis Gly
Captain

RubyLight

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:23 am
That sounds complicated. eek I think it should be quite interesting. I'll read it as soon as I finish the Twilight Saga.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:04 pm
LOL, It's not as complicated as they make it sound, but its good biggrin  

Artemis Gly
Captain

Artemis Gly
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:23 pm
Has anyone here seen the Twilight movie?? I havent seen it yet, but I've heard both good things, but mostly bad things about it...  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:03 am
Dmax
Has anyone here seen the Twilight movie?? I havent seen it yet, but I've heard both good things, but mostly bad things about it...

I personally liked it.  

Skrewdge

m a n ii r o

Aged Fatcat

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:34 pm
YuriFox_16
Dmax

I personally liked it.

I know, me too!

[Geez, I haven't been here in forever! xD I posted on the first page, and I still hadn't finished the saga!]

I've already read all the books, so when the movie came out, I was pysched! =D

I thought it was great! A few more details could have made it better, but I understand that it's a movie with a time limit. In itself, I absolutely loved it! =D

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 4:49 pm
Finally I saw the movie, you're right a few more details would have been nice, but im just saying cause im used to how the book was, i like it if i ignore having read the books,lol. I mean I liked the movie, but there was so much more into the story than what they portrayed in the movie.  

Artemis Gly
Captain

curlycute6

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:52 am
i own ll 5 of her books but i haven't gotten a chance to read the host yet although i've read the saga through a few times. i went to a barnes and nobels release party for breaking dawn and was in the 1st group to be allowed to buy the book. i'm always dissapointed in the movie versions of books.(don't get me started on the harry potter movies, i didn't even like the bridge to terabithia movie) so i don't thonk the movie was even half as good as the books. it just left sooo much out. and i tbugs me to death when people base anything about twlight off the movie as if it were the truth. all "facts" about it must come from the book, not the movie. but i love her work and encourage all to read it biggrin  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:40 pm
I solemnly swear I am up to no good.

I've read the Twilight series and seen the movie. I didn't like it that much...but oh well. I haven't read the Host.

Mischief managed.

PyroDogs94

8,200 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100

Artemis Gly
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:22 pm
curlycute6
i own ll 5 of her books but i haven't gotten a chance to read the host yet although i've read the saga through a few times. i went to a barnes and nobels release party for breaking dawn and was in the 1st group to be allowed to buy the book. i'm always dissapointed in the movie versions of books.(don't get me started on the harry potter movies, i didn't even like the bridge to terabithia movie) so i don't thonk the movie was even half as good as the books. it just left sooo much out. and i tbugs me to death when people base anything about twlight off the movie as if it were the truth. all "facts" about it must come from the book, not the movie. but i love her work and encourage all to read it biggrin

LOL, so true, a friend of mine saw the twilight movie but hasnt read any of the books, and she keeps asking me about it, and she was like but did it happen on the book, cause IT WAS ON the movie!! Im just like Ill lend you the book and then you'll see for yourself,cause there's a lot the movie doesnt show.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:25 pm
dogsrox94
I solemnly swear I am up to no good.

I've read the Twilight series and seen the movie. I didn't like it that much...but oh well. I haven't read the Host.

Mischief managed.

The Host is good, but I would have like it more if she had added a bit more to the end, not giving any spoilers but it seemed a bit rushed once it got to the last couple of chapters, well a lot rushed,lol. Still liked it, just expected more for the ending. smile  

Artemis Gly
Captain

I-Sissy-I

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:43 pm
i havent had a chance to read the Host yet
is it any good?  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:02 pm
Sissy8245
i havent had a chance to read the Host yet
is it any good?

yea, well in my opinion at least, i thought it could have used more in the ending, but that could just be me wanting more details,lol, but overall really good book  

Artemis Gly
Captain

curlycute6

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:22 am
i just need the time to read it. it seems to involved to read in the middle of the school year  
Authors' Forum

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff