Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Durrypoo Ov Fire

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:47 pm
One of my favorite quotes

"For any day that stings, two better days it brings" by Manowar  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:55 pm
"The world we have created is a product of our thinking. To change it, we must first change our thinking."

-Einstein

This is on my Algebra II teacher's wall.. It fits him, and I love the quote ^^

o0 Mystic Mama 0o

Rainbow Nerd

Wirekittin the nefarious

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:53 am
What is hell? Hell is oneself.
Hell is alone, the other figures in it
Merely projections. There is nothing to escape from
And nothing to escape to. One is always alone.

T.S. Eliot

Kinda emo, but it explains my belief of hell.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 6:12 am
One of my favourites is from Marx's Critique of Hegel's Philosophy of Right. It's so often misquoted:

"Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world and the sentiment of soulless conditions. It is the opiate of the people."  

Ralelend

PhilosophyMind
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:18 am
Ralelend
One of my favourites is from Marx's Critique of Hegel's Philosophy of Right. It's so often misquoted:

"Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world and the sentiment of soulless conditions. It is the opiate of the people."

Is it "opiate" or "opium"?  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:28 am
PhilosophyMind
Ralelend

I think it depends on the translation. I was typing from memory, but it means the same thing.

Looking it up on the Marxists' Internet Archive, they have it as: "Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, and the soul of soulless conditions. It is the opium of the people."
The thing that irks me is when people leave out that sentence just before "It is the opium of the people." Which really changes the meaning and misses the point Marx was making. The complete work in question is on that site as well, if anyone's interested in reading.  

Ralelend

PhilosophyMind
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:02 am
Ralelend
PhilosophyMind
Ralelend

I think it depends on the translation. I was typing from memory, but it means the same thing.

Looking it up on the Marxists' Internet Archive, they have it as: "Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, and the soul of soulless conditions. It is the opium of the people."
The thing that irks me is when people leave out that sentence just before "It is the opium of the people." Which really changes the meaning and misses the point Marx was making. The complete work in question is on that site as well, if anyone's interested in reading.

Awe, I was merely curious. Prior, I had only seen the version with "opium" (from my Civ teacher my sophmore year of high school and from the Sophie's World journal).

Thanks for the link, I'll definitely check it out.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 3:46 pm
Philosophy is the continuation of the knowledge of nothing.  

Mallorys Wedgie Friend

The Rogue Doll

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:18 am
"Believe those who seek the truth, doubt those who find it." I dunno

"There will be a time in which it is as though you never were." Plato

"Eagles may soar, but weasles don't get sucked into jet engines." Dunno.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:25 pm
"Childhood is the ability to dream and think without the fear of rational thought." - Me whee  

o0 Mystic Mama 0o

Rainbow Nerd

Isayo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:29 am
"Winning is a habit. Unfortunately, so is losing." -- Vince Lombardi  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:49 pm
"Beware when the great god lets loose a thinker on this planet. Then all things are at risk." - Emerson  

Stallin

Aki Yasu

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:53 am
Cicero:
There is no statement so absurd that no philosopher will make it.

H. L. Mencken:
Philosophy consists very largely of one philosopher arguing that all others are jackasses. He usually proves it, and I should add that he also usually proves that he is one himself.

William James:
Pragmatism asks its usual question. "Grant an idea or belief to be true," it says, "what concrete difference will its being true make in anyone's actual life? How will the truth be realized? What experiences will be different from those which would obtain if the belief were false? What, in short, is the truth's cash-value in experiential terms?

These are just a few of my favorite ones

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 2:21 am
heh, believe it or not... I had a fortune cookie tell me the other day 'Every time someone thinks, a supposedly stable part of the world begins to fall apart.'

go figure... >.>  

nightlight
Crew

Philosophy Threads

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out