Philosophy Quotes Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

emperor_Hikaru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:40 am
Here are a few I found ON philosophy:

I think we ought always to entertain our opinions with some measure of doubt. I shouldn't wish people dogmatically to believe any philosophy, not even mine.
Bertrand Russell (1872 - 1970)

There's a difference between a philosophy and a bumper sticker.
Charles M. Schulz (1922 - 2000)

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
William Shakespeare (1564 - 1616), "Hamlet", Act 1 scene 5

And here are some PHILOSOPHICAL quotes:

That which you call your soul or spirit is your consciousness, and that which you call 'free will' is your mind's freedom to think or not, the only will you have, your only freedom, the choice that controls all the choices you make and determines your life and your character.
Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

The evil of the world is made possible by nothing but the sanction you give it.
Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged, 1957

The Argument from Intimidation is a confession of intellectual impotence.
Ayn Rand, The Virtue of Selfishness, 1964

I can accept anthing, except what seems to be the easiest for most people: the half-way, the almost, the just-about, the in-between.
Ayn Rand (1905 - 1982)

In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it.
Robert Heinlein

The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive.
Robert Heinlein, "Job", 1984

Thou art God, and I am God and all that groks is God.
Robert Heinlein, Stranger in a Strange Land

People who go broke in a big way never miss any meals. It is the poor jerk who is shy a half slug who must tighten his belt.
Robert Heinlein, Excerpt from the notebooks of Lazarus Long, "Time Enough for Love"

To be matter of fact about the world is to blunder into fantasy -- and dull fantasy at that, as the real world is strange and wonderful.
Robert Heinlein (1907 - 198 cool

History does not record anywhere at any time a religion that has any rational basis. Religion is a crutch for people not strong enough to stand up to the unknown without help. But, like dandruff, most people do have a religion and spend time and money on it and seem to derive considerable pleasure from fiddling with it.
Robert Heinlein (1907 - 198 cool , Time Enough for Love (1972)

You live and learn. Or you don't live long.
Excerpt from the notebooks of Lazarus Long, from Robert Heinlein's "Time Enough for Love"

Stupidity cannot be cured with money, or through education, or by legislation. Stupidity is not a sin, the victim can't help being stupid. But stupidity is the only universal capital crime; the sentence is death, there is no appeal and execution is carried out automatically and without pity.
Excerpt from the notebooks of Lazarus Long, from Robert Heinlein's "Time Enough for Love"

I think that's enough for now. By the way, quotationspage.com has a ton of quotes, if anyone's interested.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 7:04 pm
heres a random quote:

"If you want peace, prepare for war."  

ace24ace

Aki Yasu

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 3:04 pm
“The voice of the intelligence is drowned out by the roar of fear. It is ignored by the voice of desire. It is contradicted by the voice of shame. It is biased by hate and extinguished by anger. Most of all it is silenced by ignorance.”
Karl A. Menninger

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:45 pm
Oh! Alot of these are nice! biggrin I'd like to contribute as well.

"I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it." - Voltaire

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong." - Voltaire

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." - Adolf Hitler

"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds." - Bob Marly

"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please." - Mark Twain

"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man." - Mark Twain

"I have no faith in human perfectability. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active - not more happy - nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago." - Edgar Allen Poe

"To perceive is to suffer." - Aristotle

"I have gained this by philosophy: that I do without being commanded what others do only from fear of the law." - Aristotle

" The moment they begin to be your equals, they will be your superiors." - Cato  

Mikomi Katsura

Hygienic Prophet

3,750 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Night_Assasin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 5:58 pm
my religion teacher used to say this quote all the time, he said it was originally from a story though.
"this too shall pass"

its hard to say if it is even a philosophical quote but its very true once you think about it  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:08 pm
Posted this in my journal today.

I found it on wikiquote, but I assure you that its validity has been confirmed.

18th century English utilitarian philosopher Jeremy Bentham
It may one day come to be recognized that the number of the legs, the villosity of the skin, or the termination of the os sacrum are reasons equally insufficient for abandoning a sensitive being to the same fate. What else is it that should trace the insuperable line? Is it the faculty of reason or perhaps the faculty of discourse? But a full-grown horse or dog is beyond comparison a more rational, as well as more conversable animal, than an infant of a day or a week or even a month old. But suppose they were otherwise, what would it avail? The question is not, Can they reason?, nor Can they talk? but, Can they suffer? Why should the law refuse its protection to any sensitive being? The time will come when humanity will extend its mantle over everything which breathes…

Fat Blue

Amenubis

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:21 am
That is a fantastic quote!  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:58 pm
I think so too!  

Fat Blue

AbrAbraxas
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:55 am
"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream." Edgar Allen Poe  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:05 am
here's a favorite one. this quote just stood out from the rest.

it is short, simple, and powerful.

"God is dead."-Friedrich Nietzsche.  

McWhopper

whynaut

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:54 am
This one is from one of my favorite philosophers Marx
Groucho Marx
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:12 am
Faroresama
Well, i never remembered the quote, but here's one of my favorite:
"The unexamined life is not worth living." --Socrates

That is a good quote. It sums up everything.

Here is my personal quote about Philosophy:

"Philosophy is a passion of eternal wisdom in all fields of general knowledge that relates to life, nature and the complexity of all wonders. It is a route of self-discovery and exploration with the use of logic, experience and personal perspective of the universe."

But, the following quote is what I like about knowledge:

"To know that we know what we know, and that we do not know what we do not know, that is true knowledge." - Henry David Thoreau (July 12, 1817 – May 6, 1862)  

Smartteaser192

1,200 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Statustician 100
  • Member 100
Philosophy Threads

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items