Reply Deathrock
How Did You Get Into Deathrock? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Ms Dahl

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 12:38 pm
I was in High School at the time (I liked your basic Goth Rock bands). One of my favorite artist named Johanna Ost was apart of a livejournal group called "Sweet Dead a**". I looked at the profile and it listed a few bands along with Peter Scathe's website on Deathrock. From there I discovered Alien Sex Fiend. I downloaded a cover song by them called "Hurricane Fighter Plane". I was hooked. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 2:15 pm
I was updapunx until I was like 11. Then I came across Christian Death - Only Theatre of Pain, Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures, and Cinema Strange - whatever the really long one is. I don't remember how I came across them. But I did, and I fell in love with the bands. Then I found out that's what real goth rock was, and I started looking more into it. I got A Life Less Lived: The Gothic Box, and from that got hooked on Sex Gang Children and Virgin Prunes. Then Last.fm did the rest.

My father is partially to blame to. He got into punk when it first came out. He doesn't listen to lots of goth rock, in fact he claims to hate it. But he's a big Siouxsie & the Banshees, Warsaw, Killing Joke, and UK Decay fan. He refuses to recognise what those bands did for goth rock. dramallama  

Marximum Philocity

mc satan

Sparkly Prophet

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:59 pm
my yahoo launch radio station ( service doent exist anymore) one day it played a cinema strange song n i liked it started researchin on the genre n added yet another type of music to my collection of music that i love  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:37 am
This Guy
|
|
V
User Image

He showed my Christian Death when we first started going out and he kept giving me more bands to like. I gotta hand it to him, he completly flipped my musical taste.  

Devils Theatre

Good Heroine
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:19 pm
Anyone else reminded of AA or some other kind of rehab program reading through this thread?  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:03 pm
A little bit  

Devils Theatre

MissHorrorstar

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:35 am
Click here.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:22 pm
added AFI to pandora.com (as in 1997 AFI, not their new junk) and had a .45 Grave song come up (surf bat, im sure) and i liked it. made a .45 Grave station and heard plenty from TSOL-Christian Death-Bauhaus. and from there came Goth-Box-like downloads, to hear more and more and more and more.

i dont know, maybe 6 or so years ago?  

666_Ways2Luv

Miss Fiendette

3,400 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:10 pm
Pretty much through goth rock. One day I was in the mood for something with more punk influence and I checked out 45 Grave and have been in love ever since.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:52 pm
I bought Prayers on Fire.  

Six Bells Chime
Crew

Dangerous Phantom

SADERR

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:08 pm
I actually just got into deathrock recently.
Being a fan of goth rock for years, I've heard about it every now and then but never bothered to look into it. one day I decided to and started listening to Joy Division, and I'm still just starting to find music and such.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:01 am
Jonathonn
I actually just got into deathrock recently.
Being a fan of goth rock for years, I've heard about it every now and then but never bothered to look into it. one day I decided to and started listening to Joy Division, and I'm still just starting to find music and such.

Joy Division is post-punk, Deathrock would be like

Christian Death - Romeo's Distress
Kommunity FK - Something Inside Me Has Died
Mephisto Walz - Painted Black
Skeletal Family - Promisedland
Sex Gang Children - Oh Funny Little Man
Voodoo Church - Eternal Waltz
Cinema Strange - Greensward Grey

Also look for Bohemien, Red Temple Spirits, Naked & the Dead, Of A Mesh, Ochrana, Children's Zoo, Ex-Voto, etc. A lot of people consider .45 Grave to be Deathrock, I don't, but you can look them up and decide for yourself.  

Good Heroine
Crew

Creep_Show13

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:34 am
I started out on Goth rock when I was about 11 I think, but wasn't really IN to goth till I was 15. My godfather had a habit of buying up a bunch of random old CDs at yard sales merely because they were cheap(He likes bargains xD ), and he would let me look through some and keep any I liked. Well, one day he happened to have a Siouxsie and the Banshees CD (Can't remember which one now) and the Sisters of Mercy - A Slight Case of Overbombing compilation CD, and I loved them. Wasn't until I was in high school when I learned what goth even was, after being accused of such because of the music I was listening to. From there I just started getting more into Deathrock bands that a lot of people interchange between goth and deathrock, like Christian Death.

At this point in my life, I'd have to say I actually enjoy a lot of Deathrock a lot more than goth rock anymore, though I still love both. And does anyone else find it weird that when I make big playlists, I like mixing Funker Vogt in with primarily Deathrock bands?? My friends tell me it's a weird mix. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:15 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. I like me some EBM mmm hmm  

ZombieGinsberg
Crew

Miss Fiendette

3,400 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:25 pm
xChrisThePanda
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. I like me some EBM mmm hmm

lol

Really for me it all started with Bauhaus. A few years back especially in middle school I was more oriented in metal but it was always the gloomier stuff and I took to it. After that I got bored with it and moved onto Bauhaus, Siouxsie & The Banshees, Sisters of Mercy, and so on. From there it went to deathrock with of course 45 Grave still being my favorite of the genre. lol  
Deathrock

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff