Welcome to Gaia! ::

Savage Arts

Back to Guilds

Guild RPGs, Contests, World Conquest, Random Silliness 

Tags: world domination, games, comics, arts, random 

Reply Savage Arts Main Hall
General Discussion Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 449 450 451 452 453 454 ... 760 761 762 763 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Mizu_Taji

Monster Galaxy

10,900 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Autobiographer 200
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:59 pm
@Miko: Ok, next time I have a chance I'll look around and try that.

@Quin: *facepalms* That does sound like more of your personality then depression. Heck, if a doctor said I was depressed and needed medication based on that fact, I would say "Then give me f$%^& pills for EMPATHY not depression you quack!" I myself am a super empathetic person and am easily upset because I absorb others emotions so well

@ the topic at hand: I've been through this before as well. When I was young, at first, people would tell my parents that I had ADHD. Well, my parents brushed it off because I obviously didn't have the H part of that equation, and my dad thought it was stupid that someone so young needed to take freaking pills for that, even though they had me on the medication for a little bit with no effect just to shut up the doctors.

Fourth grade was a bad year(for personal reasons), so I started having to go to a psychiatrist off and on, all in which I was needing no medication.

11th grade: All of a sudden my parents discuss to me about maybe having ADD, and I agreed as I noticed I couldn't pay attention worth a darn. Went to the doctor. Got meds. They didn't work. Surprise surprise. Doctor thinks I might be suffering from depression instead. My mother gets all teary eyed and wants me to take meds for it. For once in my life I stand up to her and tell her no, I do not want happy pills just because that the doctor thinks I'm too sad to pay attention to school. It's not my fault teachers are boring and can't keep my attention.

And, so now for my conclusion and opinion on the matter. Unless it's life threatening, or painful, don't have your kids pop pills for random crap until they are old enough to choose themselves, and if they do choose, support them with their choice. Odds are they are being what you all have said before, kids.

As for RLS, my mom has it, and all she does is put a bar of soap in her bed. Don't ask me how that helps, but it does, and without all the nasty side effects! *thumbs up and cheesy smile*  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:23 pm
okay.... not the doctors' fault... they do the testing they diagnose the disorder. they are doing their job. don't think for one second they go around willy nilly giving out pills to every kid whose parents say they have add... for the people who really do have it, that accusation is slightly insulting. it's not fun. it's not easy. and for the people who can't afford it, it's miserable. and then there's the depression... it's a chemical imbalance... for some people it's something they can overcome... for others, medication is required... I am so sick of people saying that they should just not be depressed... TRY IT!!! it is a real mental illness and a lot of people suffer from it and those doctors who are "jumping the gun" are trying to make life bearable for these people. they don't just prescribe crap to them and forget. I have severe cases of both and I see my doctor once a month to have my doses checked and adjusted. not easy not fun... you all go right ahead and try it...  

Reiven De bergerac

Mizu_Taji

Monster Galaxy

10,900 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Autobiographer 200
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:29 pm
Reiven, I myself was not bashing everyone who needs medication for depression or any disorder for that matter. I know I lot of people who do need it. I myself have just had bad experiences with people telling me to take things that never helped because I don't actually have it.

My pastor back at home needs medication for it, and I know several people who do need it. It's just a general thing.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:44 pm
I don't think anyone is saying that these problems don't exist in medical terms. They are very real issues, but its very well known that the times are getting harder and depression has become more of a societal issue then an actual medical condition. Also there is people who fake the condition just to get the drugs. (Like that movie preview where the kid popped the addarol and started dancing in the street in his underpants)

There are also the facts that the over prescribing of antibiotics by doctors has created more resilient strains of viruses.

I know that they mean well in doing so, but sometimes the doctors should write prescriptions for bed-rest and orange juice more often then penicillin. Fighting off things with your own immune system makes it stronger.

Anyways if this gets anymore heated Kazu is gunna call for either a change of topic or the creation of a debate thread.  

Kazu Faiya
Vice Captain

Sparkly Phantom

Reiven De bergerac

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:56 pm
i'm sorry... it's just a soft spot with me...i've had a lot of people tell me i'm wrong to be taking meds for it and that I'm turning myself into a zombie... if that's the case I'd rather be a zombie than have the attention span of a fruit bat...  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:58 pm
An entertaining fruitbat none the less. *look at the sparkley Reiven! Look how shinny*  

Kazu Faiya
Vice Captain

Sparkly Phantom

Reiven De bergerac

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:02 pm
I may be entertaining but my add is one of the big reasons a did so poorly in school... and I don't want to have that happen when I go to college... i don't want to be a screw up any more...  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:07 pm
Just take classes that hold your interest then. xd Or big little sister Kazu could stand over your shoulder and make you do your homework.  

Kazu Faiya
Vice Captain

Sparkly Phantom

Mizu_Taji

Monster Galaxy

10,900 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Autobiographer 200
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:09 pm
Fruit bats are cute! Especially Egyptian fruit bats ^w^

And even though I am not you Reiven, and truthfully I haven't gotten to know you as well as I would like, but I'm sure everything will turn out alright in the end.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:10 pm
you might have to help me study... sorry... I was really bad at that in high school...even on my meds it was hard for me  

Reiven De bergerac

Reiven De bergerac

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:15 pm
Mizu_Taji
Fruit bats are cute! Especially Egyptian fruit bats ^w^

And even though I am not you Reiven, and truthfully I haven't gotten to know you as well as I would like, but I'm sure everything will turn out alright in the end.

thank you... I'm sorry if it seemed like i was attacking you... I really wasn't. it was someone else's opinion that got me... no it wasn't kazu's she be meh best friend and has come to understand my disabilities and works with me... but there are others who shouldn't even talk...  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:17 pm
Reiven De bergerac
you might have to help me study... sorry... I was really bad at that in high school...even on my meds it was hard for me
I'm sure it wouldn't be an issue. When you get motivated enough nothing can get in your way. Thats just how ya are.  

Kazu Faiya
Vice Captain

Sparkly Phantom

Destructo Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:18 pm
Me though, I get distracted by fast moving pensils on my desk.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:19 pm
It's fine ^^ I'm just an overanxious worry wart and just wanted to make sure that you knew where my opinion was coming from. No harm, no foul ^^  

Mizu_Taji

Monster Galaxy

10,900 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Autobiographer 200

Kazu Faiya
Vice Captain

Sparkly Phantom

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:22 pm
Destructo Kid
Me though, I get distracted by fast moving pensils on my desk.
*Throws pencil at your head.* DO YOUR HOMEWORK!!!  
Savage Arts Main Hall

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 449 450 451 452 453 454 ... 760 761 762 763 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games