Welcome to Gaia! ::

Leviathan Stadium

Back to Guilds

A battle Stadium for literate roleplayers. 

Tags: Literate, Fighting, Battle, Arena, Levi 

Reply OOC Lounge
OOC - NO U Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 6924 6925 6926 6927 6928 6929 ... 7607 7608 7609 7610 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Sins of an Angel

Chatty Gekko

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:32 pm
Deegrading
Kat: Didn't you get the inspiration of Ryke from that one anime lagoon or wtfever?

Nuh-uh.

I made her well before I knew about Black Lagoon or Domino.

XD Kind of like how Desi made Athan before he knew about Berserk. It was one of those "Huh." moments.

I don't really draw upon it though, since she's (Ryke has) kind of evolved on her own. I like where she's going/is lately.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:34 pm
themightyjello
After not reading for so many years, I expect the first book I pick up to have impossibly high standards.

One of the characters has the title "The Most Violent Man" and rapes one of the other male characters to prove a point.

He's something of a role model for Gamma.  

The Hanging Man

Vintrict

Omnipresent Poster

Man, reading a book doesn't really take that long. When I pick up one, I feel like the guys from the Matrix, how they read all that code scrolling down the screen and can translate it into an actual mental image.

Then stuff gets weird when the reading gets abstract.  
The Hanging Man
The one problem with the series is that it suffers from serious fantasy name syndrome.

There need to be more fantasy settings that involve people having ONE, SHORT NAME.

None of this Teredexiniel est Delenitinaeum Ker'talla of the Utannakidoutyeh province.

Why aren't there more people named like... Jael. No surname, no affiliations other than maybe where they hail from so that people know which person with one name that they're referring to.

Hell, even DC Comics had it right.

Kal-el, son of Jor-el.  

themightyjello

Dapper Elocutionist

5,650 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Timid 100

Vahn Fah
Captain

Original Member

7,300 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Conversationalist 100
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:35 pm
My name is Orson Rand.

I am the Immortal Iron Fist.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:37 pm
Vintrict
Man, reading a book doesn't really take that long.

For you.

A good pace for me is about 2 minutes per page. For a 500 page novel, that's 1000 minutes. Or 17 hours of "do not distract me, I need to focus on this and can do nothing else while I continue to read".

I honestly can type faster than I can keep up reading it.  

themightyjello

Dapper Elocutionist

5,650 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Timid 100

Vintrict

Omnipresent Poster

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:39 pm
Then devote at least an hour or two a day to the book, or at least put it down after x number of chapters/ pages. It's a good schedule to keep up with and you won't get burned out.

Honestly, I need to read more books, cause college can make you lazy. Though I technically, I have been reading books, but they've been "learning books" like martial arts, video game design, and programming. Plus, I gotta up my writing skillz anyway.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:39 pm
themightyjello

There need to be more fantasy settings that involve people having ONE, SHORT NAME.

None of this Teredexiniel est Delenitinaeum Ker'talla of the Utannakidoutyeh province.

Why aren't there more people named like... Jael. No surname, no affiliations other than maybe where they hail from so that people know which person with one name that they're referring to.

Hell, even DC Comics had it right.

Kal-el, son of Jor-el.

Prince of Nothing actually has a mix.

The casteless rabble usually have only one name - Esmnet, Serwe, etc.

Then you have the important folk, like Anasurimbor Kellhus, the Barbarian/Mongol fellow that Fen mentioned, and others.

The names of anyone that matters aren't hard to follow - it's the Goddamned cultures, religions, languages and so on. Bakker went NUTS with world making, to the point it's very difficult to fully follow. Once you can, though, it becomes amazing. Fortunately, he has an Index in the back of each book that categorizes all of it.

One thing I can never put down are the similarities between that book's races and our own. I was never able to tell if the Scylvendi were similar to the Norse or the Mongols. I also thought that the Men of the Tusk were similar to Arabic persons, but then they described their enemies to be similar to that.

I think I'm just gonna give up on it and assume that the world is actually Pandora and they're all a vibrant shade of f*****t blue.  

Damnatus

Lucind Varhetel

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:43 pm
DINGDONG, ********, DINGDONG!  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:47 pm
Most of the Conriyans = Northern/Western Europe. White and blonde, big metal armor.
Nansur Empire = Sort of Roman, I think.
Thousand Temples = Almost-christian polytheists with a Jesus figure.
Kianene = Arabs. Almost-muslims that have middle eastern-like clothing, live in the desert, and kill people with scimitars. I think some of them ride camels, too.  

The Hanging Man

The Last Pedigree

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:21 pm
The Prince of Nothing series is an amazing series of books, I would highly recommend it.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:22 pm
The Hanging Man
themightyjello
After not reading for so many years, I expect the first book I pick up to have impossibly high standards.

One of the characters has the title "The Most Violent Man" and rapes one of the other male characters to prove a point.

He's something of a role model for Gamma.

Also he never raped anyone did he?  

The Last Pedigree

ragingtofu

Dangerous Codger

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:25 pm
What the hell. I visit OOC and there's logical, coherent discussion going on about quality topics like books and knowledge? I'm shocked and appalled.

You all make me sick.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:25 pm
The Last Pedigree
The Prince of Nothing series is an amazing series of books, I would highly recommend it.

I knew you were doing to say that. I thought of you instantly when Fen mentioned that people in that book were called 'non-men'.  

themightyjello

Dapper Elocutionist

5,650 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Timid 100

Kraun
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:31 pm
>:{  
OOC Lounge

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 6924 6925 6926 6927 6928 6929 ... 7607 7608 7609 7610 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games