Welcome to Gaia! ::

Leviathan Stadium

Back to Guilds

A battle Stadium for literate roleplayers. 

Tags: Literate, Fighting, Battle, Arena, Levi 

Reply OOC Lounge
OOC - NO U Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 7178 7179 7180 7181 7182 7183 ... 7607 7608 7609 7610 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Sey

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:49 am
I have to wait for people to keep posting. :< People like you!

As for that thing that you spoke of~

... MAYBE WHEN I'M RETIRED! blaugh  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:50 am
*Grabs Sey and loves*  

Hi Im Reiko

Aged Sex Symbol

Dumble Dee

High-functioning Waffles

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:50 am
You'd think if you're afraid of heights and someone pushes you out of a plane, that would make you more afraid.

If someone hid spiders in my bed... After the paralysis wears off, I'd shank them nice and good. You guys are horrible friends. I'm surprised he still talks to you.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:52 am
Your clinch does not cause me to tremble yet. It needs more work.

I guess we don't get it. Or more likely it's you that doesn't get it. Being forced to go skydiving with your friends and having them put a hundred spiders into your bed are not the same thing. One is "get over your fear and do something fun", the other would not be fun even if he wasn't afraid of them.  

themightyjello

Dapper Elocutionist

5,650 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Timid 100

Hi Im Reiko

Aged Sex Symbol

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:54 am
You don't ******** with a place where someone lays their head to rest.

White people are nuts.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:55 am
If I were afraid of spiders.. and someone put spiders into my bed.. I'd probably still be afraid of them.

I mean, that's kind of different than being forced to face the fear, unless you tell the guy beforehand.

Going on a plane and "having" to skydive is different than unknowingly having spiders put into your bed. The first can just be accepted as an inevitability. The second is probably just going to freak someone the ******** out in most cases, especially when you're talking about a phobia involving animals.

If I have a phobia of snakes, throwing me into a snake pit at random is not going to cure me. Not if I have an actual phobia. Convincing me to touch a snake, then to hold it, then to hold it for extended periods, would cure my fear, because I would be forced to rationalize that there's nothing to be afraid of.

Slightly off topic, but snakes are awesome, and I've never had a fear of them in my life, iirc.  

The Thunder Tyrant

Sey

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:58 am
Dee... Does your avatar have a bird cooking in it's flaming hair?

gonk  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:01 pm
Penguin. Tasty, tasty penguin.  

Dumble Dee

High-functioning Waffles

Enness Vakar

Man-Hungry Datemate

8,100 Points
  • Divorced 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Sausage Fest 200
Deegrading
If someone hid spiders in my bed... After the paralysis wears off, I'd shank them nice and good. You guys are horrible friends. I'm surprised he still talks to you.
This. Minus the paralysis. So straight from seeing spiders in my bed to the shanking.  
Man. I couldn't post in ToF if I wanted to. I have no idea what's going on anymore. What was I even talking about in my last post? I don't know. I'd have to look it up.

...and right now I'm gonna do something slightly more productive.  

themightyjello

Dapper Elocutionist

5,650 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Timid 100

Sey

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:03 pm
lol. That's how I felt about it for the longest time since most of the writing I've been doing is boring political analysis crap. It's infecting my prose. gonk  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:03 pm
Nighthunter
Deegrading
This. Minus the paralysis. So straight from seeing spiders in my bed to the shanking.

You sure? I'd think that the shanking would wait about 40 seconds until I'd rolled in circles around the room shedding articles of clothing and shouting things like "******** shanking.  

themightyjello

Dapper Elocutionist

5,650 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Timid 100

Rising Hourglass

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:07 pm
Jumping out of a plane has nothing to do with an actual phobia. Almost everyone will be really, really tense before they jump out of an airplane several thousand feet above the ground.

If someone has an actual phobia of spiders, and rubbing a bunch of spiders all over them got rid of the phobia, psychologists would simply do that and avoid unnecessary therapy.

Getting over an actual phobia requires basically what darth said. Gradual exposure and positive modeling. In his example, each time the person is going to bail on you before they actually reach the most aversive stimulus (handling a non-deadly snake), but eventually with relaxation training and repeated trials they'll most likely be able to do it, and become comfortable enough to the point where they don't become completely hysteric at the sight, or even thought, of a snake.

That doesn't mean you're going to become some spider nut by any means, though. I have no irrational phobia of tarantulas, and if I saw a tarantula crawling around I certainly wouldn't have any intention of picking it up and holding it.

And if I saw 100 spiders in my bed, I think any sane individual would flip s**t. Just because you don't have a phobia of spiders doesn't mean you'll be going "dohohoho oh you guys". They're potentially deadly and reacting cautiously to them is intelligent.

Not wanting to move to another country because there are black widow spiders there would be an example of a phobia destroying someone's quality of life. Freaking out when said spider is on your leg, in your bed, etc. is a completely rational thing to do.

So no, I don't "get it."  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:10 pm
themightyjello
You sure? I'd think that the shanking would wait about 40 seconds until I'd rolled in circles around the room shedding articles of clothing and shouting things like "******** shanking.
Actually yeah I forgot about that part. I'd either do that then shank, or shank then that.

Or possibly that while shanking.  

Enness Vakar

Man-Hungry Datemate

8,100 Points
  • Divorced 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Sausage Fest 200

Designated Hero

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:35 pm
themightyjello
Man. I couldn't post in ToF if I wanted to. I have no idea what's going on anymore. What was I even talking about in my last post? I don't know. I'd have to look it up.

OOC Lounge

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 7178 7179 7180 7181 7182 7183 ... 7607 7608 7609 7610 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games