Welcome to Gaia! ::

Leviathan Stadium

Back to Guilds

A battle Stadium for literate roleplayers. 

Tags: Literate, Fighting, Battle, Arena, Levi 

Reply OOC Lounge
OOC - NO U Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 7274 7275 7276 7277 7278 7279 ... 7607 7608 7609 7610 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

The Thunder Tyrant

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:53 pm
Believe me.

You have to put on like 40+ pounds of raw muscle to get that stereotypical bulky look. And that's 40 lb OVER your normal lbm for your skeletal frame.

So if you're shooting for like 180, and you're decent, then you might be pretty muscular at 195.. but you would need to be 235-240 to be "bulky."

40 lb is a looooot of muscle. Takes years to put on that much.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:53 pm
Not necessarily true, Vin.

Although you are right that you'd need a base, I feel that goes so far as establishing a comprehensive knowledge of the body and the basics of martial arts strategy. From there, it's not too difficult to adapt things in a way that fit you.

But you can learn quite a bit just from educated research online. Look at enough of the right stuff and you can develop a good enough understanding of things to make a training regimen for yourself. I mean, you wont be able to go TOO far, but you can still form some sort of base.

However, without a teacher/master to guide you, there are just some things you can't learn, and it becomes harder to understand. Back when I was learning, it at least gave me the tools I needed to be comprehensive about martial arts, which will make learning a little easier when I find another school.

Are you saying you've -never- taken a martial arts course? Or did you take them, but they never got into any of the inner workings?

@Fiend: Yeah, that's it! See, I knew it was more than just fun hand wavy stuff.

That stance he did was definitely Sanchin.  

Pandumb

Lonely Scamp

Fiend The Bunny

Fluffy Codger

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:55 pm
3nodding

I should join Vin's little tournament thingy there, I should.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:55 pm
The Darth Vizzle
EDIT:: Also, olive oil IS nasty. Downright ******** awful, unless you're cooking with it or using it to dress noodles with another sauce.

Alternately, you can do a fruit detox, which is considerably more tasty.

What about EVOO?  

Pandumb

Lonely Scamp

Vintrict

Omnipresent Poster

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:57 pm
There's a reason the Chinese have been developing their art for over 1500 years. They've done a lot of stuff already, so yes, I need to continue from what they learn instead of trying to relearn everything like they did. With the increase in technology, we now have accurate descriptions of how the body works, which makes the martials even more effective, though I wonder if some practical things are outdated due to finding out something completely different about how the body works. No qi or anything, since it's simply the feeling of your electromagnetic field and other biological processes that resemble "qi."

Bah. I'll just research like I was doing and get a teacher when I can afford it.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:00 pm
Tenkai Matsumoto
The Darth Vizzle
EDIT:: Also, olive oil IS nasty. Downright ******** awful, unless you're cooking with it or using it to dress noodles with another sauce.

Alternately, you can do a fruit detox, which is considerably more tasty.

What about EVOO?

No idea how it tastes, but I know a lot of people recommend it as a source of healthy fats, not unlike olive oil.

I just know that straight, extra virgin olive oil is.. not good.

Much prefer to make it into a basil oil, or if I were going to do a detox, do shots of it followed by eating fruit.  

The Thunder Tyrant

Fiend The Bunny

Fluffy Codger

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:02 pm
All this talk of oil is making me sick, that stuff is so nasty.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:04 pm
I love cooking with it.

Though, if I want to get my healthy fats.. yeah, I'll eat eggs, nuts, and fish.  

The Thunder Tyrant

Vintrict

Omnipresent Poster

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:07 pm
Speaking of food, I'm going to go eat. Mac, tuna, and milk.

Also, while I'm out, feel free to throw any sources by Pm to me for me to start researching, be it martial arts, health stuff, training regimes. I can use anything to get me started here.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:08 pm
Go-go three tilapia fillets, rice, and some broccoli.

Possibly some home-made baked potato chips later.  

The Thunder Tyrant

Fiend The Bunny

Fluffy Codger

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:09 pm
I'm gonna go roll around the grass, then.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:13 pm
Vintrict
There's a reason the Chinese have been developing their art for over 1500 years. They've done a lot of stuff already, so yes, I need to continue from what they learn instead of trying to relearn everything like they did. With the increase in technology, we now have accurate descriptions of how the body works, which makes the martials even more effective, though I wonder if some practical things are outdated due to finding out something completely different about how the body works. No qi or anything, since it's simply the feeling of your electromagnetic field and other biological processes that resemble "qi."

Bah. I'll just research like I was doing and get a teacher when I can afford it.

I wouldn't say that. If anything, bioelectrical-magnetic whatsit IS ki. Don't put down ki with regards to martial arts.

I mean, you aren't going to be shooting fireballs or anything, but there's a difference.

There are only a few cases of using ki that I've seen that feel like a lot more than parlor tricks and hypnosis, and in all of those cases the people using them studied martial arts for a good long time. Whatever it is, it isn't something you just pick up.

Sadly, I have seen examples where people sortof advertise teaching the ability to knock people out without touching them, and they're completely bogus. If they're teaching it in a regular dojo where just anyone can sign up with the right money, then it's not real.  

Pandumb

Lonely Scamp

Fiend The Bunny

Fluffy Codger

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:15 pm
I actually have a video of a Judoka knocking out some Master of one of those 'touch you and die' arts.

Its funny.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:30 pm
The Fiend of the West
I actually have a video of a Judoka knocking out some Master of one of those 'touch you and die' arts.

Its funny.

I think I know what video you're talking about.

That's what I didn't like about learning about the martial arts. You learn that a lot of times there are schools that are fighting over lineages and money, and some people are just completely full of it and use gimmicks in order to get people interested, because everyone wants to be some sort of cool guy.

Although things like dim mak does/did exist, I'm not so much talking about people using a "death touch". I mean people who do those big demonstrations about pushing people with the force of their mind, but they do it with such nonchalant attitude that it feels more like an act. It's the cases where focus IS involved that it makes sense.

There was this one video where this guy does the same thing, but he doesn't do it for money, and a lot of people follow him. When they don't do it for money it makes me wonder, but I do get iffy when they don't demonstrate on skeptics.

And then, there's this.  

Pandumb

Lonely Scamp

Fiend The Bunny

Fluffy Codger

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:50 pm
Interesting.  
OOC Lounge

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 7274 7275 7276 7277 7278 7279 ... 7607 7608 7609 7610 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games