Welcome to Gaia! ::

Savage Arts

Back to Guilds

Guild RPGs, Contests, World Conquest, Random Silliness 

Tags: world domination, games, comics, arts, random 

Reply Savage Arts Main Hall
General Discussion Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 751 752 753 754 755 756 ... 760 761 762 763 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

MortalAngel

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 11:41 am
Jovey4
WOAAAAAAALLL OF TEXT
Aaaaactually I'm on a mac too >> I just change the language input to 2-set korean. Buuut if there's something I can rant about, it's morons living in korea who try to translate korean into english romanized characters: it's flat out just not physically possible. Why? Taekwondo Degwundo taegweondo are all english versions of νƒœκΆŒλ„ all 3 of those spellings and more are used in korea. It's not like japanese where you can read it romanized~ hence all the "eou" and "eo"'s in words like "Seoul." So the best thing to do is to just learn Hangeul itself. Also, the sounds that koreans use are completely different from the english K and G. It's literally something in between. The same applies for Z and J, T and D, P and B, and of course R and L. They actually position their tongue very differently than we do when speaking and because of that romanization is nigh impossible because Koreans have the hardest time telling the difference between those characters in english "engrishie". But hey man, I like your insight! Is there a reason you're trying to type in korean?

I did see the option for 2-set Korean, I'm using the GongjinCheong Romaja input. I figured the k/g sound would be different in Korean and possibly some combination of the two. And actually, a lot of english speakers don't realize that the roman representations of japanese sounds aren't quite right either. For example, the 'F' in japanese words isn't actually an F, it's made by putting the lips closely together a blowing, almost like a combination of the F, W, and H sounds, but there's no way to represent it in the roman alphabet, so we use F.

I just have an interest in foreign languages and alphabets, so when you said you knew Korean, I just wanted to take advantage of that and ask a question. I've studied Latin, Italian and Japanese, and, obviously, I just barely glossed over the basic concept of how Hangeul characters are formed (without actually knowing anything about the language).  
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 11:45 am
Pop Question!

Do you know the history of the "W" roman character and why it's called a double - U ?

(FYI, in most other Latin based languages it's called a double - V)  

MortalAngel

Radjulon
Crew

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 10:51 pm
maybe they write their W's like high school girls.  
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 2:03 pm
Basically it's because the letter "v" used to represent the sounds v, u and w. Over time they started writing two Vs to differentiate the w sound, so the word Silva, which means forest, started being written Silvva. They also started curving the bottom of the V to represent the U sound, which is why W is sometimes written with rounded bottoms as well, like Siluua. It was never widely used enough to be official though, and so is excluded from the Latin alphabet. But that's where the double - U and double - V come from.
FYI, if you didn't catch, the Latin word Silva is pronounced Silwa.

Knowledge is Power!  

MortalAngel

SOAForever

Distinct Lunatic

5,550 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Brandisher 100
  • Cart Raider 100
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 10:22 pm
Or all that knowledge will make people's heads explode.

Oh, wait... That's my job.  
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 8:23 pm
Knowledge is Power.
Power Corrupts.
Study Hard.
Be Evil.

(I have this on a shirt)  

Maeth
Captain

Dapper Genius

MortalAngel

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 12:40 pm
Maeth
Knowledge is Power.
Power Corrupts.
Study Hard.
Be Evil.

(I have this on a shirt)

That is too funny.  
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 2:42 pm
Maeth
Knowledge is Power.
Power Corrupts.
Study Hard.
Be Evil.

(I have this on a shirt)

does this mean that you are an evil genius?  

XiWikiPop

IRL Lunatic

9,065 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Generous 100
  • Conventioneer 300

Maeth
Captain

Dapper Genius

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 3:53 pm
Yes it does.  
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 7:23 pm
Guys, the Avengers, go see it. that's an order  

Radjulon
Crew

Jovey4

Versatile Businesswoman

3,400 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 2:13 am
Hrrnnnnnn Everyone's seen it but me so far! gonk

Being jobless and penniless sucks emo
Buuut I did get an interview in at the local Neck Tie store. If they don't hire me maybe I'll try Cracker Barrel  
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 12:50 pm
hey! it's jovey!!

guess that shows how much i pay attention  

Avaxis Spin
Crew

Maeth
Captain

Dapper Genius

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 11:00 am
I haven't seen it either.
Nor do I honestly care.

I lost all interest in going to theaters about four or so years ago.  
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 11:50 am
Same here. Movies are boring and it's hard to sit still and watch them for that long... I guess they're not all bad though. I do want to see Brave when it comes out. Yep, I'll just stick to family animated movies...  

MortalAngel

MortalAngel

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 11:53 am
I quit my super awesome job! No, actually it's pretty much sucked the last few months. The only thing good about it was the money...And now I'm poor. Aw well. I want to go back to school, but instead of going into programming which I now know is only fun as a hobby and sucks as a career, I want to go into language. Language is my one true passion. heart  
Savage Arts Main Hall

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 751 752 753 754 755 756 ... 760 761 762 763 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games