Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

27x
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:00 pm
Is society subjective? Explain.

~edit

I have again forgotten to post an example.

Note: My english skills arn't very good.

Is society subjective? A very vague question right? What do I mean when I am asking you this question? Well, my intention was to let you interpret it in your own way, since it has very many meanings behind it. Here is my enterpretation.

I see this questoin refering to people going with the flow. Society is not subjective, because we only controll a small part of it. Society is subjective to all other people, however they don't think in unity with me. However, society is subjective, because if we chose not to play along then we are free. If we burn our pasports and birth cirtificates, we can be whoever we want to be. We could live in the forest, or the city, and still live our own way. On the other hand, we can still live normal lives, and be free from the parts of society, by rejecting the parts we don't aggree with. When somone calls me a name, I will get angry. This standart reaction is chizzled into my brain, like a tape recorder. If I break this part, then it helps ot break the whole device. If I take away the tape, and speak with my voice, then society has no attatchment to me. If I take out the batteries, and use my own, then reason, and reluctancy has no attatchment to me. If I take out the buttons, then noone pushes me around anymore. However, If I pick up the whole tape recorder at once, then the blasted thing is unharmed. Society is a tricky thing, and there is no specific way to master it. One has to find the core truths of society, and apply them to their own lives and beliefs.

Of course this isn't the only thing that the question means.
Can we direct the society in it's whole?
Can we destroy society?
Is society part of our imagination.
Interpret it however you want, and speak your mind accordingly.
I meant this to be a thought provoking subject after all.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:38 pm
Yes and no. I feel institutions have completely taken control of how humanity thinks. There is no such thing as rebellion from institutions because the act of rebellion is itself falls under a type of institution.

On the other hand, since people are subjective a hundred different people can look at the same institution and interpret its rules in one hundred different ways. (Without getting into a religious argument) Look at the Bible for example, it has be interpreted and reinterpreted in so many different ways that everyone takes their own meaning from what Jesus said. Look at the US government: the whole function of the Judicial branch is to interpret the laws which means that even laws are subjective.

I once read that the most powerful people in the world are the most delusional. These are the people who think that the world is only the way they can see it, and can convince other people that they are right.

I think it will be a sad day when we all give up our subjectivity. sweatdrop Here's to hoping that will never happen.  

whynaut

27x
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:20 pm
whynaut
Yes and no. I feel institutions have completely taken control of how humanity thinks. There is no such thing as rebellion from institutions because the act of rebellion is itself falls under a type of institution.

On the other hand, since people are subjective a hundred different people can look at the same institution and interpret its rules in one hundred different ways. (Without getting into a religious argument) Look at the Bible for example, it has be interpreted and reinterpreted in so many different ways that everyone takes their own meaning from what Jesus said. Look at the US government: the whole function of the Judicial branch is to interpret the laws which means that even laws are subjective.

I once read that the most powerful people in the world are the most delusional. These are the people who think that the world is only the way they can see it, and can convince other people that they are right.

I think it will be a sad day when we all give up our subjectivity. sweatdrop Here's to hoping that will never happen.

Perhaps those institutions are not some alien thing which are starting to controll us all, but something external, that comes from within us. Good point though. If we ever become non subjective, then there is no hope is there?  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:07 pm
I think society is subjective, in the sence that everyone experiences society differently. Everyone's hardwiring is dependent on what kind of tape recorder you have. Like how a black or white person would react differently if you called them a (N word), or myself as a more personal example I have a completely different view of what being different feels because of my disorder than someone who got picked on for something like having red hair. Any two given people have seen society in a different light and so they will have come to different conclusions about society and will have different ideas as of what their society is, and it's in the light that we see other cultures and their societies deciding what we think of them.

Sure there's base things that most people agree with but it's in the details where the truly important things lay, and those base beliefs make the exceptions in the system stand out even more.

~edit
Hehe, not all people have their cencor on. No fowl language please.  

Smab

Smartteaser192

1,200 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Statustician 100
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:41 am
Let me explain this in the sociological aspect.

According to Gabriel Marcel that MAN is an EMBODIED SUBJECTIVITY. (Subjectivity incarnating itself, “in flesh”.)

So a family is the basic unit of society.

And a family is a social group characterized by common residence, economic cooperation, and reproduction. It includes adults of both sexes, at least two of whom maintain a socially approved sexual relationship , and one or more children, owned or adopted, of the sexually cohabiting adults.

So it is the simpliest collection of embodied subjectivities as a holistic entity in a society.

So, therefore society is subjective due to distinguished cultural intersubjectivies.

The culture of society is the interactivity of the collection of embodied subjectivities.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:41 am
A simple Answer is Yes.
Proof: making a good first impression or spiking your tie-dye hair wouldn't matter if we were more objective. The bitter reality  

Skanky Randy

x3 SuGarr CoOkiie

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 11:43 am
Honestly, I think most things in life are subjective. Morality, religion, society. As long as we all have different ideas of what is things remain subjective, for one cannot say Individual A is wrong any more than Individual B can say that the other is wrong when it comes to things that can be interpreted in a million different ways.  
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 12:15 pm
Skanky Randy
A simple Answer is Yes.
Proof: making a good first impression or spiking your tie-dye hair wouldn't matter if we were more objective. The bitter reality

You're of course....assuming it DOES matter....which it clearly does not in the grand scheme of things. It only matters to you, so I suppose society is subjective to each of us on our own terms in the sense that it affects us each individually based on how much we care to allow it to affect us.  

Niniva

Philosophy Threads

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff