Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

YEAAAA D:<
  OMG YEA D:<
View Results

Part of the boundless

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:18 pm
I say that forgiveness should be given to a point.
Psychologically I find it better to try to forgive those that have done you wrong quickly. To do otherwise may leave you spiteful and weighed down.

But say, well lets use hitler as an example, he killed so many people thatit must be considered a crime against humanity itself. Everyone that help him must also be said guilty of this crime. Should they be forgiven?
As stated earlier I believe that forgiveness is like a lift. Now do not mistake that forgive also means forget, to forget a trespass is folly.

A crime so great should reap horrible punishment and dishonor.

But do they deserve forgiveness?

What about those that saw what was happening and did nothing?

Its justa random thought that popped into meh brain...

Also what is your view on forgiveness?  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:43 pm
Well there are several types of forgiveness.

The forgiveness that only god can give

The forgiveness that man can give

Forgiveness in the form of redeemtion.  

27x
Crew

whynaut

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:53 am
"Forgiveness" is a state of mind as is "blame," "sin," and "wrong". Since we have used Hitler as an example, allow me to post that there are many people who believe that Hitler did nothing that needs forgiving; as heinous as this may sound, it is true.

Without getting into ethics argument (or a history argument), there is no universal checkbook that adds up what is sinful and what the appropriate punishment is for that quantity of sin. Something that you feel is wrong, might be right for someone else. At the end of the day, we each just have to decide if we want to forgive or not. If it benefits you more to say angry: stay angry, if it benefits you more to forgive: forgive. To me, that's the long and the short of it.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:30 pm
This seems like a bad thread idea. If it doesn't go anywhere in a while I'll put my super lock on it.  

27x
Crew

shall she sail seas

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:53 pm
I would say that forgiveness is more a state of mind. However, I have more trouble defining whether or not sin/moral wrongness is also a state of mind.

That said, I would probably opt to forgive under most circumstances since forgiving means to let go of a wrong that someone has done to you. The wrong itself is already painful enough. Why exacerbate this pain by refusing to forgive?

The only exception to this is if recompensation makes the pain more likely to heal than forgiveness. But then, I'm probably equating the refusal to forgive with revenge here. Honestly, I don't know if that is a good way to define it.

That said, I find the question of whether or not someone is "deserving" of forgiveness to be redundant. If the act of not forgiving causes more trouble in your life, then why not just forgive and get it over with?

One thing that's interesting in the Muslim religion is that it give choice to the family of a murder victim, to either impose the death penalty on the murderer or to forgive him/her. I guess it implies in their philosophy that the choice of forgiveness can be applied freely, that the person who has committed a wrong does not deserve to be forgiven any more or less to be refused forgiveness.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:16 pm
In my opinion forgivness isn't somthing we do for others, but somthing we do for ourselves. with people like Hitler it is a social nessesity that they be punished, but that is seperate from forgiveness. when someone wrongs you it is necessary to forgive so that YOU can move on, it doesn't matter to anyone but you. I'm not saying we should forgive and forget, thats just stupid. I just belive that grudges and anger hurt you more than anyone else.

Aki Yasu

27x
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:01 pm
The thing about forgiveness, is that it is only significant if it gratifies the one in the red. A sociopath usually doesn't seek forgiveness, except perhaps from animals(supposing he accidently stepped on his dog's foot). A very social person would, however, require acceptence from all of their peers for self gratification.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:26 am
Ah forgiveness,something hard to accomplish.Sounds easy yes?But to do it not.However we must do it in order to be forgiven by others and if you believe,God.It is also a way of letting oneself free from that.  

Zarfione

x3 SuGarr CoOkiie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:00 pm
Part of the boundless

But do they deserve forgiveness?

What about those that saw what was happening and did nothing?

Its justa random thought that popped into meh brain...

Also what is your view on forgiveness?

Weather or not they deserve forgiveness is subjective. As of my answer to this question I forgive and forget easily, so I would have no problem forgiving anyone.

Edit by 27x~I changed forgive and forgive to Forgive and forget.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:00 am
Forgiveness is extremely difficult.
But like the truth, it will set you free.
If you cant forgive, you will never be free, or happy.  

Noetical

Intermediate Counselor

Niniva

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:24 pm
moyga
Forgiveness is extremely difficult.
But like the truth, it will set you free.
If you cant forgive, you will never be free, or happy.

Then tell me how it happens. We discussed this in class yesterday actually.

Forgiveness to me seems cognatively impossible. You say that you clearly think that something someone did is wrong, and then what? Rationalize that it is somehow excusable to you? How do you do that? Rationally it doesn't make sense really.  
Philosophy Threads

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games