Take your pick:
  The Truth will Set you Free
  Ignorance is Bliss
View Results

27x
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:15 pm
Well if you are measuring by age, yes.

I think that the power of a country lies in it's location, recources, funds, education status, government system, and leaders.

In those regaurds, america would acutally be a lot older, and more mature than some ancient countries.

However, I am not saying that ignorance is more efficient.

It is not a matter of efficiency, as somone who is ignorant usually doesn't know that they are ignorant. That is why they are so blissfull.

They don't have to wory.

Simply put, ignorance is bliss, as long as that is what you truely want, and don't think that you are ignorant.

However, the awnser to the question, "Which is better, ignorance, or bliss?" is entirely subjective, and circumstantial.

Therefore, I don't see how we can debate this topic much further.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:18 am
Needed is balance.For in balance can you put everything in place.The truth can set you free but it can deprive you.An example of this factual statement is,when you are an adopted one occasionally one would think that their "parents" are their real and now the truth they will,heart-broken they can be.The concludes us to this"there are better memories or secrets left to be forgotten."Ignorance may hinder us from advancing,however,it may make us obtain courage.For an instance,you are trying to escape from the Nazis and your friend gave you something that is going to be your aid,you don't what it is,you know you want to know it,but it would put you in danger if you do.  

Zarfione

x3 SuGarr CoOkiie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:08 pm
Welllll... ignorance is bliss AND the truth sets you free.

The reason why I say this is because I see those statements as two different things.

Ignorance is bliss because if an individual chooses to not aknowledge something it does not exist in that persons reality. If the thing they choose not to aknowlege is grave or something that would cause them some distress or anger (etcetera) then their ignorance is bliss for that reason.

The truth sets you free because when you find the truth you gain more knowledge on something and a bit of the ignorance chips away. You are enlightened on something you other wise did not know of before. Through that comes slight freedom of the self (through and related to knoweldge).  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:20 am
x3 SuGarr CoOkiie
Welllll... Is ignorance bliss AND the truth sets you free.

The reason why I say this is because I see those statements as two different things.

Ignorance is bliss because if an individual chooses to not aknowledge something it does not exist in that persons reality. If the thing they choose not to aknowlege is grave or something that would cause them some distress or anger (etcetera) then their ignorance is bliss for that reason.

The truth sets you free because when you find the truth you gain more knowledge on something and a bit of the ignorance chips away. You are enlightened on something you other wise did not know of before. Through that comes slight freedom of the self (through and related to knoweldge).

Quite interesting; You proposed that we've been trying to compare two subjects that arn't related at all.
biggrin
If you're right, then we've really overlooked the obvious.
Like when old scientists tried to say that everything was made out of fire, earth, air, etc. Then went on to try to figure out the rest of it with that information.

It wasn't untill much later that we discovered the flaws in those ideas.

They were more like poetic assumptions than actual facts.  

27x
Crew

x3 SuGarr CoOkiie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:40 pm
27x
x3 SuGarr CoOkiie

Quite interesting; You proposed that we've been trying to compare two subjects that arn't related at all.
biggrin
Like when old scientists tried to say that everything was made out of fire, earth, air, etc. Then went on to try to figure out the rest of it with that information.

Have the past comments over looked the (possible) obvious then?
I honestly did not read any of the comments. I would be interesting to find out though.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:51 pm
x3 SuGarr CoOkiie
27x
x3 SuGarr CoOkiie

biggrin

Have the past comments over looked the (possible) obvious then?
I honestly did not read any of the comments. I would be interesting to find out though.

What I am saying is we all went into the topic assuming that ignorance and bliss were not only paralell, but one must have one or the other. Moreover, we were unable to define it in a more complex way than that, becuase the it would become situational, and we can't comprehend something like that and end up with a resolution that generally works for most other situations.

You simply found the flaw in our error, and was able to get a better understanding of the idea, without complexifying it.

Simpler example of usage: Two biologists decide that living things can only reproduce sexually or asexually, and are trying to decide which is better. Since there are so many life forms to chose from, it's too difficult to sort through every single one. Therefore they have to keep the discussion restrained to generalizations. Then another bologist comes along, and sugguests that some lifeforms can reproduce sexually, and asexually. pirate  

27x
Crew

Noetical

Intermediate Counselor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:55 am
You cant be a philosopher and think ignorance is bliss, Philosophy is the love of truth and wisdom, higher knowledge.

"Ignorance is the night of the mind, but without moon or star."
- Confucius

You might as well be dead, you are not fulfilling your humanity.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:21 pm
Quote:
You might as well be dead, you are not fulfilling your humanity.

According to who's ideal? You cannot tell me that you have never thought to yourself "I wish I didn't know that so it didn't bother me so much" There is a reason the smartest people in the world wind up in mental institutions a lot.

While it is nice to be intelligent, it is also a vice at times. Your failure to realize this displays your nievety about such things.  

Niniva

-_-Pera Grin-_-

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:08 am
Ignorance can only be something like bliss when you remain in it, and the truth will set you free only once you have learned to manage it.
Even when entirely ignorant, others can call it bliss, but how could you fully appreciate and enjoy ignorance when you have never experienced the difficulties of truth?
The major problem of our country today is that we have decided to keep our children ignorant, and hide any and everything unpleasant. Look at nearly every person who has done good in our history. Our Founding Fathers, Harriet Beecher Stowe, Martin Luther King Jr., Mother Teresa, Gandhi, the list never ends. They all were great people that made a change in the world, because they knew how dark it could be. The worst people, Hitler, Napoleon, are often the ones that couldn't handle the truth, or bended it to something even uglier. Both ignorance and truth can make a great deal of pain, but only one can form a salve.  
Philosophy Threads

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff