Reply The Lounge
the god of the under world

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Saint Lucifer 1590

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:23 pm
who is the real god of the under world? i looked it up and i got ten diffrent gods/goddesses  
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 8:58 am
Anubis, Osiris, those are the two I mainly assosiate with the afterlife. They both witness the weighing of the heart (done by using Ma'at's feather of truth), which is recorded by Thoth. You also have the God who devower's the dead's heart, but I have forgotten his name (oops). Horus guides the dead to be judged by Osiris.

There are alot of Gods involved.  

Rennie`
Captain

Wealthy Informer

2,100 Points
  • Member 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200

Saint Lucifer 1590

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 9:26 am
ya ammat i think is the devower of hearts and i think that apophis is some were in the under world and is the under world really nut? because she eats ra and he travels the under world every night  
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 6:08 pm
Yea, I'm fairly certain it's Osiris.

Anubis was the god/guardian of embalming, tombs & watching over the dead themselves but the 'evil serpent' of the Underworld I think was Apep.
In egyptian he was known as Apep but the Greek found out about him and named him Apophis.  

Sakki-chan

Dapper Hunter

3,500 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200

bluerain202

Sparkly Prophet

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 8:28 am
Is it appropiate to think of Anubis as a sort of intermediate/gatekeeper sort of God? His role in the book of the dead suggests that he was the cheif for the journey of the person into the underworld?  
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 9:00 pm
Saint Lucifer 1590
who is the real god of the under world? i looked it up and i got ten diffrent gods/goddesses

There is no 'real' god *of* anything in Egyptian mythology. Nearly every god is associated with and/or identified as nearly every other god.
There is no simple one to one correspondence of 'god' to 'thing whhich this god represents' as the more simplified introductory texts would have you believe.

Egyptian religion is the result of thousands of years of change and evolution, of local gods, pantheons, beliefs and practices being incorporated into a large and somewhat patchwork system of beliefs which differs according to place and time.

Some sort of jackal god was known in pre-dynastic and early dynastic times, this god may have been the same as (or an early form of) the early dynastic jackal Khentyimentiu (Foremost of the Westerners) who does have some sort of connections to the necropolis (but also to various sacred locations.
This god may have developed into or given rise to the jackal god Anubis, who may have been the original deity associated with the dead,
over time the god Osiris (who may have been initially a local deity) gained prominence as the main god associated to the underworld/afterlife (and also, being a god of the 'dying-rising' type, with fertility, rebirth and the cycles of agriculture) and Anubis became primarily associated with embalming and a sort of god of the transition into the afterlife.
Mythology and the set up of hte pantheon does not necessarily parallel the actual historical developments (where we even *can* trace these).  

Glory of Sekhmet

2,150 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

Glory of Sekhmet

2,150 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 9:10 pm
Rennie`
You also have the God who devower's the dead's heart, but I have forgotten his name (oops). Horus guides the dead to be judged by Osiris.

There are alot of Gods involved.

MOST of the gods, in fact - there is a fair amount of cosmic aspects tot he afterlife. The cosmic and cthonic aspects alternate and interweave wiht each other a great deal - sometimes one tends to predominate at a certain time period, in the afterlife of certain segments of the population, but quite often both are intermixed - even within the same funerary texts.
For instance, Re/Re-Horakhty is shows up quite often when the afterlife of the deceased is shown as one sharing the cosmic journey of the sun barque, but within the same text or tomb the deceased can also appear as working his fields in the afterlife or banqueting or standing before Osiris. It is relaly an 'everything but the kitchen sink' theology, with the kitchen sink added after the fact.

Rennie`
You also have the God who devower's the dead's heart, but I have forgotten his name (oops).

I think you are referring to Ammit/Ammet/Amet (etc) which is rougly translates intot he 'THe devourer". She is not a GODDESS per se - she is to be considered more of a MONSTER, in every anthropological sense of that term. She is a hybrid monster usually composed of a lion and a crocodile and sometimes other elements.  
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 9:12 pm
Saint Lucifer 1590
ya ammat i think is the devower of hearts and i think that apophis is some were in the under world and is the under world really nut? because she eats ra and he travels the under world every night

These are really two different versions of the sun journey.  

Glory of Sekhmet

2,150 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

9by6

Noob

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 10:25 am
I shall further more research into the subject.  
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 11:37 am
I have to go with many here and say They can't be put into boxes like that. However, if I had to pick one I'd go with Osiris.  

A1Saucy

Devoted Codger

Underworld Priestess

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:39 pm
There are many gods that conduct work in the Underworld. During much of the Old Kingdom, Anubis or Inpu, was considered the "ruling" deity. However, as the Cult of Osiris grew in Egypt, Anubis was replaced by Osiris. There is also the whole myth of how Osiris was the first Pharaoh and he was murdered by his brother Set and chopped into pieces. Then Anubis and Isis sought to collect all the pieces and they collected all but one so Osiris is stuck in the Underworld because they could not collect the last piece. Since, according to most myth, Anubis is the son of Osiris, he gave up his place so that Osiris could reign. Anubis is considered a god of many things including: embalming and mummification. He is also a guardian and guide to the dead and a guardian of cemetaries.

When you view art of the weighing of the heart in the Underworld the pictures usually contain Osiris on his throne and in the robes of mummification, behind him are Isis and Nephthys and then there is Anubis and Ma'at (because of the feather). Thoth is also there I believe.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:17 am
Wesir/Osiris is the King of the Underworld. Yinepu/Wepwawet aka Anubis is more like the guide of the Underworld, leading those blessed souls past the bad things into the weighing of the heart. The thing is, unlike the Christain Underworld, the Kemetic/Egyptian Underworld isn't "Hell"... it's more like limbo.  

evolvingwolf

The Lounge

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff