Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply Philosophy Threads
The color of a pencil effects how good it writes?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Immanence

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 10:05 am
I got a whole packet of these #2 led pencils. (Well, they are actually made of granite but oh well) They were those common yellow pencils. I was doing homework, when I decided that I wanted a maroon pencil instead, so I painted it with a thick coat of red. And yes I do things like this, especially when I want a distraction from doing my homeork. Then when I wrote with it, I noticed it wrote differently. Note that no paint got on the tip. Then I started wondering. I got another pencil from the pack. I sharpened it to look almost identical to the red pencil. I wrote with the yellow one first, and it wrote a lot lighter and duller than the red pencil. The red one wrote darker and had more friction against the paper than the yellow one. Then I kept comparing, and always, the red wrote darker and the yellow lighter. I even sharpened them again, and it was the same. I then painted another pencil green. That green pencil wrote a more light toned gray, and had a little less friction than the red, but more than the yellow. I tried it with a blue pencil, and it was about the same as the red.

I began to wonder why this was. I have made a few theories.

THEORY 1: The color of the pencil affects the thought process of the writer, because the 'theme' of the pencil changes the writers mind without him / her knowing it, which changes how dark or how light the writer usually writes with the pencil they normally use.

THEORY 2: The color of the pencil affects the 'aura' or 'vibe' of the pencil, so that it doens't change the mind of the writer itself, but it changes the performance of the pencil itself.

So, any explanations? It could of just been that the pencils had to be sharpened 'exactly' the same, (I got pretty close) or that I wasn't using the same ammount of preassure on each. I will soon make a devise that can draw lines with the same amount of preassure the whole time, and test these theories even further.

I know that this is kind of a lot just for a writing utensils, but it is better than doing nothing all day.  
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 1:17 pm
I'd have to see a more acurate form of measuring than this to make any real assumptions. Right now if I had to make a guess I'd say that subconsciously you saw the pained pencil writing differently because you pushed harder, and because you wanted them to write differently (because you simply found it interesting) then from then on the mind see's what it wants to see or your hand just applied more pressure with the red without your knowledge.

In this case, you'd have to have a non-human contraption do both the sharpening of the pencil (to make sure it's exact) and to do the writing (to make sure pressure is the same) AND...most importantly...some sort of computer generated data on which of them ACTUALLY was lighter or darker and if it was consistent from before you sharpened the pencil or if it was always the case. In other words, you can't just look and record, you have to have a computer do it to record the shade of it, otherwise again, you see what you want to see.

Or, randomize the writing without telling the person looking what color the pencil was, asking only which are darker/lighter. I'm pretty sure you either just found a few pencils that simply had graphite from different stones in them or it's your hand/mind playing tricks on you.  

Niniva

27x
Crew

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 1:37 am
Requiem of Immanence
I got a whole packet of these #2 led pencils. (Well, they are actually made of granite but oh well) They were those common yellow pencils. I was doing homework, when I decided that I wanted a maroon pencil instead, so I painted it with a thick coat of red. And yes I do things like this, especially when I want a distraction from doing my homeork. Then when I wrote with it, I noticed it wrote differently. Note that no paint got on the tip. Then I started wondering. I got another pencil from the pack. I sharpened it to look almost identical to the red pencil. I wrote with the yellow one first, and it wrote a lot lighter and duller than the red pencil. The red one wrote darker and had more friction against the paper than the yellow one. Then I kept comparing, and always, the red wrote darker and the yellow lighter. I even sharpened them again, and it was the same. I then painted another pencil green. That green pencil wrote a more light toned gray, and had a little less friction than the red, but more than the yellow. I tried it with a blue pencil, and it was about the same as the red.

I began to wonder why this was. I have made a few theories.

THEORY 1: The color of the pencil affects the thought process of the writer, because the 'theme' of the pencil changes the writers mind without him / her knowing it, which changes how dark or how light the writer usually writes with the pencil they normally use.

THEORY 2: The color of the pencil affects the 'aura' or 'vibe' of the pencil, so that it doens't change the mind of the writer itself, but it changes the performance of the pencil itself.

So, any explanations? It could of just been that the pencils had to be sharpened 'exactly' the same, (I got pretty close) or that I wasn't using the same ammount of preassure on each. I will soon make a devise that can draw lines with the same amount of preassure the whole time, and test these theories even further.

I know that this is kind of a lot just for a writing utensils, but it is better than doing nothing all day.

I once read an article that blue backgrounds inspire creativeness, and red backgrounds inspire logicalness, which I found interesting. Then again I don't write with pencils, I do it on Microsoft Words. Anyway I think this is an interesting idea, and I do suppose colors can inspire people more.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:35 pm
I agree with theory #1. Colors affect your mood and your mood affects your performance.. So it makes sense.  

Pinny Nickels

Tautological Tautology

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:41 pm
I think you are making a whole lot of something out of nothing. Anyways, it's not granite in the pencil, but graphite.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:35 pm
Tautological Tautology
I think you are making a whole lot of something out of nothing. Anyways, it's not granite in the pencil, but graphite.

Graphite.... But there is no such thing as an unimportant detail. There are little details that I am not interested in, but all of them are important. I think the color of the pencil affects your mood.  

Immanence

Philosophy Threads

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff