Vice Captain

Dapper Dabbler

10,100 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Conventioneer 300
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:44 pm
Hello!
It's come to my attention that many people find this guild incredibly confusing.
I really want to get this out soon, so I'll pretty it up later, I hope you don't mind.

In this thread I'll talk about:

- How to get started with your character
- How to post
- Dorms, Homerooms, and Houses
- Wyvern, Catian, Burner, and Eirannes
- The role of Crew Members
- FAQs

What inspired me to make this thread was this guild invitation that was sent out recently:

Unnamed Guild
I have invited you to join ---------- Academy for the reason that our profile format is much easier than Fuyu Academys profile format,You could make yourself an dorm without being assigned on or you can join someones dorm.The rules here are not as strict as the ones at Fuyu,our rules are much more easier and way better to follow and you wont be checked by a mod every once in awhile unlike Fuyu who might have mods checking each topic.

I hope that by the time you're done reading through this guide you'll understand why we do the things that this person was complaining about, and that we do have good reasons for them.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:44 pm
How to get started with your character

First things first, you need to create your character. You do that in the Character Profiles sub-forum. From there, you can get Fuyu Academy's very own Profile Skeleton.

Once you fill in all the information required you can just wait for a moderator to come around and approve it. Once you're approved you're set loose on the Academy! Got to wherever you want, you don't need to wait for a dorm.

** IMPORTANT NOTE: The above paragraph will change soon due to a new method of dorming that we, the mods, have been working on for months (wow, has it really been that long?). **

What's the point of a character skeleton/profile?

A character profile is something to help develop your character, as well as give people who are role-playing with your character a little inside information about them. Another user able to read your character's past will enable them to have their own character be able to provoke more action from your character. All in all, it leads to a more enjoyable role-play experience than talking about the weather.

Many, many people have said our Skeleton is confusing and difficult. I'm very sorry if the coding is confusing, the coding that Gaia forums uses isn't always the easiest. Apart from the coding, yes, we do ask for a lot of information. For very experienced and literate role-players, this skeleton should be simple to fill out, but for those newer to role-play it forces them to read into their own character more, and have them get to know their own character better. The more you know about your character, the better you can role-play them.

You guys keep saying I need to add to mine, or change things.

Yes, our profile-approving mods are always like that. We try to lead you to a better, more dimensional character. Add a sad event in their past, give them a disorder, anything to make them imperfect. Imperfect is unrealistic, which doesn't make good characters. We'll always push you to add more, but once you have enough you'll be approved. We're not going to insist upon perfection. (After all, perfection is different to everyone!)

You said my power was God-Modding. What / How is that?

Most people know God-Modding in role-play as when a character controls another person's character. But, powers can be God-Mod too. The power to control another person's actions is God-Mod, and Mind-Reading borders on God-Mod, you have to be very careful how you use it. God-Mod Powers can also be if a character has too many powers, such as if they had Flying, Elemental Control, Healing and X-ray vision. We ask you to keep to one power, two small, weak powers if you want. It's unlikely you'll choose a God-Mod power, so don't sweat over it, we'll give you a tap on the shoulder if you do happen to hit one.  

Arisee
Vice Captain

Dapper Dabbler

10,100 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Conventioneer 300

Arisee
Vice Captain

Dapper Dabbler

10,100 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Conventioneer 300
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:45 pm
How to Post

Once your character has been approved, you're set free into the big world of the Academy and the areas that surround it. There's one quick rule I'd like to remind everyone of: Your character can only be in one place at a time. It's difficult for us to catch people breaking that rule, so, really, all I can ask is that you don't do it. Please?c:

So, anyway, your character is ready for the world. What you can do is look on the guild's home page at "latest posts" to see which threads have the most recent replies. You can also just look around the forums some to see if one that didn't hit the "latest posts" list strikes your fancy. Wherever it is and however you found it, before posting, make sure you wouldn't be intruding on an incredibly dramatic moment between characters. It's not the worst thing, but if it's anything romantic, I would personally stay away until they're done being mushy, but it's your call.

Don't forget that you can also post in other people's dorms as a "visit"!

When posting, a lot of people like to use layouts for their character, which essentially decorates their post. Personally, I also believe that it makes posts look more professional, but that's up to you c:
If you want to see more about posting with layouts you can look in our designated sub-forum for that.
They are not in any way required.

How much do I have to type?

All we ask is for no "one-liner"s. Those are posts where the user only types one sentence for their post. Try to have a three - five sentence minimum, but we won't force you. Maximum should be three paragraphs, we don't want to overwhelm people! (Yes, Yaniie, I'm talking to you. >:o)

How literate do I have to be?

Semi-literate. That means to use correct english, as in "you" instead of "u", "are" instead of "r", "and" instead of "&", and so on. It also includes punctuation. Even if you decide to ignore that we're semi-literate, we require you to at least use quotations for when your character is talking. Posts are entirely confusing without them.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:47 pm
Dorms, Homerooms, and Houses

Dorms:

Fuyu has four places the dorms are in: Wyvern, Catian, Burner, and Eirannes. Each dorm has a set Original Post that gives you a map of the room as well as links to the profiles of the characters in the dorm. Every dorm is named after a color.

You will be assigned a dorm once your character has been approved, so you don't need to worry about that. If you have a request for a dorm you want to be in or someone you want to be with, just message any crew member and we'll take that into account for you. Also, if you want to join a dorm that doesn't have three people in it yet, also ask us and we'll give it to you.

Homerooms:

There's a major revamping of the homeroom system, so when that comes up I'll write this section. For now, just know that everyone is in 2 - B and all classes are in there.

Houses:

This is referring to houses as in Privileged Student and Teacher Housing.

1. If you are a teacher, you get a house. The first person who is in the house gets to decide how many people they want to share it with (5 maximum). Once that number is reached, the next teacher in line will be given a new house, they choose the max, and so on.

2. If you're a student and you want a house, just make a note on your character profile that you're creating one and provide a link to your house. All houses must be in the Privileged Student and Teacher Housing sub-forum. In your original post you must have:
- A picture
- Your character's name + the names of any inhabitants with you
The maximum number of students in a house is 5, including your character.

I don't like my roommate in my dorm. Can I have a new one?

Well, let's first try to work things out between whatever's going wrong, but if it really can't be solved, we'll re-assign you.

My roommate is never on, it's boring and empty.

): That's the worst. In this case we'd re-assign you or just replace that person with a new member, dropping them a message saying, "Hey! We gave your dorm away, but if you ask nicely we'll give you another one." (Well, something along those lines, anyway.)

I want to be in a house, but I don't know anyone here. . .

Just message the owner of the house and ask to join! We're very friendly at Fuyu Academy, so there almost no chance the person you're asking will be mean and deny you for no good reason.  

Arisee
Vice Captain

Dapper Dabbler

10,100 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Conventioneer 300

Arisee
Vice Captain

Dapper Dabbler

10,100 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Conventioneer 300
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:48 pm
Wyvern, Catian, Burner, and Eirannes

The houses are like the Harry Potter houses, each having their own personality type of students. The theme of sorting from personality will be more evident when we let our new system of dorming go live.

User Image

User Image

My character got put in a house a while ago, but they don't match that description.

Well, until recently the characters have been sorted just randomly. We're just starting this system now. But, remember, there's always variation and exceptions in groups!

I don't agree with my test results, that doesn't sound like my character!

Well, umm. . . you took the test as your character, and all choices leading to the house you got were given a lot of thought, so. . . they're an uncommon in their house?
( I'm just waiting for this complaint to come up, as I'm sure it will. Really, that's all I can say :/ )  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:49 pm
The role of Crew Members

( Under construction, I figured the above sections were more important to take care of. )

There's been confusion and accusation, so I'd like to take this section to explain what we do and why.

- We Moderate
- We Add
- We make events
- We fix & revamp
- We Help
- We Dance
- We have meetings every other/few weeks
- We Work Hard  

Arisee
Vice Captain

Dapper Dabbler

10,100 Points