Miss Crimson

8,050 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Megathread 100
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 11:16 am
nocturnal alchemist
necat
and it makes me sad to think that i wont be around to see any of the futures advancements...it makes me realize that were all human in the end everytime i think about it... gonk

I know, sometimes when I think about how cool and interesting the future will be, I get sort of sad because we won't all see it, because, in the end we all die and no one is immortal. As soon as we're born, we start dying.

that's not true. We could be immortal. Right now scientists are predicting that in 20 years tissue replacement could make you immortal. You just simply continue getting tissue replacements and bam! you'll look young all the time and you'll live for a long time :3  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:23 am
MyCrimsonLover
nocturnal alchemist
necat
and it makes me sad to think that i wont be around to see any of the futures advancements...it makes me realize that were all human in the end everytime i think about it... gonk

I know, sometimes when I think about how cool and interesting the future will be, I get sort of sad because we won't all see it, because, in the end we all die and no one is immortal. As soon as we're born, we start dying.

that's not true. We could be immortal. Right now scientists are predicting that in 20 years tissue replacement could make you immortal. You just simply continue getting tissue replacements and bam! you'll look young all the time and you'll live for a long time :3

Actually aging is a much more complicated process. What you might be referring to is telomere research. Telomeres are like the shoestring caps on DNA and every time a cell divides, a little gets cut off. Eventually there's only a little left so the cell stops dividing.

Scientist have discovered an enzyme that rebuilds the telomeres: telomerase. However, it's not being used to stop the aging process as much as it is in cancer research. Cancerous cells activate telomerase and can divide indefinitely. Scientists want to learn how to shut it off so cancer cells stops dividing.

Telomeres are only one small part of the aging process though. Tissue can just wear down, and also there's mitochondrial mutations. Hormone changes. Oxygen poisoning. Nuclear mutations. It's just too complex.

Immortality can't be done. Certainly not in the next 20 years. I highly doubt within the next 2000 either.  

AnimeLily

cherryblossomz89

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:28 am
Well the development of the prosthetic heart has been successful. There studies have shown it to be successful. If they can make a prosthetic heart, then Im sure that they can develop much more in the future.

And in Ghost in the shell there really isint anything crazy like flying cars, so as far as every day technology, im sure we can reach where there at.

The only thing, I personally dont thing will go over too well is tanks like the tachicoma. I dont think that those will go into development.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:58 pm
I sure hope so smile  

emackid

svidrigailovs

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 1:45 pm
Whenever I started reading/watching it, I'd always think, "The 2030's are too close. We'll never get that advanced that soon." But then again, look at how far we've come since 1982.
I think it's entirely possible, especially concerning cyberization because scientists are already experimenting with it.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:18 pm
that might be possible and it will be different  

grimmjow1993

the nightmare reaper

3,150 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:34 am
Tanith_4486
It might be, but then again... the greenhouse pollution, wars, hate, prejudice, endangered species, water resources and other things may cause it not to happen

But if it does happen, it would be cool to me, but to some other people, they might have doubts about their humanity and stuff like that...

That is what I think...
cyberization maybe be the answer to the food and water and pollution promblem. in the show one of the major cyberization reason was because of war and nuclear fall out.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:18 pm
AnimeLily
MyCrimsonLover
nocturnal alchemist
necat

Actually aging is a much more complicated process. What you might be referring to is telomere research. Telomeres are like the shoestring caps on DNA and every time a cell divides, a little gets cut off. Eventually there's only a little left so the cell stops dividing.

Scientist have discovered an enzyme that rebuilds the telomeres: telomerase. However, it's not being used to stop the aging process as much as it is in cancer research. Cancerous cells activate telomerase and can divide indefinitely. Scientists want to learn how to shut it off so cancer cells stops dividing.

Telomeres are only one small part of the aging process though. Tissue can just wear down, and also there's mitochondrial mutations. Hormone changes. Oxygen poisoning. Nuclear mutations. It's just too complex.

Immortality can't be done. Certainly not in the next 20 years. I highly doubt within the next 2000 either.

What crimsonlover said isnt completely false. with advancements in nano technologies, that scientists will be available in the next 20 - 40 years, you could potentially have nanobots restoring sick and dammaged cells, thus resulting in cell/ tissue restoration. this gives us an exponentially longer lifespan, and more likely than not will result in full cyberization.  

FOF

amberfire365

Friendly Explorer

4,500 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:42 pm
It is possible because of the advancement in technology all the time, epically with nanotech and other things that are just now being created or researched.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:36 pm
It can very well be like that but highly unlikely because alot of advances would need to happen withing the 24 year span. 24 years to go through anouther world war and have a surge of technology upgrades and revolutionary outbreaks.

It'll only happen if we fight to make it so.  

Lucifargundam

9,050 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Pie Enabler 100
  • Prayer Circle 200
Ghost In The Shell

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items