Tags: Egypt, Egyptology, Kemetic, History, Pharaoh 

Reply Religion
Greek to Egyptian Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

A quest for coin?
  Poll whoring across the universe on the spaceship Enterprise under Captian Kirk....
View Results

T3h Black Sharpie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:45 pm
When I clicked this thread open, I thought it would compare the Greek Gods to the Egyptian gods. For example:

Greek__________Egyptian
Hades..........Anuibis
Helios..........Ra

But this is helpful as well =)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:32 pm
T3h Black Sharpie
When I clicked this thread open, I thought it would compare the Greek Gods to the Egyptian gods. For example:

Greek__________Egyptian
Hades..........Anuibis
Helios..........Ra

But this is helpful as well =)

That's understandable, although comparing the Greek gods with the Egyptian gods would be like comparing apples and oranges. The Greeks liked to try to see their own gods and goddesses in the gods and goddesses of everyone else, but the Egyptians viewed this approach as childish- and with good reason! Identifying Hades with Anpu/Anubis simply because both of them can be found in an underworld setting would be like identifying an apple with an orange because both can be found on trees. This sort of identification cheapens the identity of the god, essentially denying his or her unique nature, mythology, and place in his or her own cultural worldview; and it often leads to tragic misunderstandings- as in the case of Typhon's association with Set. smile  

WebenBanu

Religion

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces